Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn D10N Tuning Pegs  (Read 8931 times)

Offline pawndream

• View Profile
Washburn D10N Tuning Pegs
« on: August 27, 2009, 10:26:37 PM »
Hello All.

Yesterday was a very sad day for me.  The D Tuning Peg on My '91 Washburn D10N died.  Basically it is slipping when I try to tune up.

I bought the guitar in '91.  It's my first guitar.  It's the guitar I learned to play on.  I have had other guitars, but it's the only one that I have kept through the years.

I want to replace the tuning pegs and was wondering if any of you knew how I would go about getting replacements.  It looks like it would be easy to swap out...if I knew which ones to get.

I know I could take it to a guitar shop and have them do it..in fact I did so a few years back and the guitar tech looked at me like I was crazy for wanting to do so...saying it would cost more than the guitar was worth...I think he wanted me to buy a new guitar.  Clearly it can't be that hard, right?

Bottomline is I like my D10N.  It's not replaceable.  Nothing sounds like it.

Any ideas how I go about finding a replacement?

Thanks!

Offline BobinNJ

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:20:48 PM »
Hi, pawndream, and welcome to the forum.  Are you sure that there is not a screw on the tuner which just needs tightening?
If you need new tuners, Stew Mac  (Stewart Macdonald) luthier supplies has several different tuners at different price ranges for sale. Just Google and see. And I'm sure that there are others as well.

Bob

Offline LAPetrarca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 07:23:51 AM »
You can also head down to your local music store and should be able to buy a set of replacement tuners.  My local GC or Daddy's Junky Music usually has several brands in stock.

Washburn D52SW - Timbercraft Brigade
Washburn DM2000S Ltd. Ed. - Millenium Brigade
Washburn D10SCEB
Washburn M4 mandolin
Washburn M1SDL mandolin
Epiphone AJ100VS
Carlo Robelli J220-VS
Guild Pilot Bass
Michael Kelly Firefly 4-string fretless A/E Bass
Squier Vintage Modified fretless Jazz Bass
Washburn D10SCEB
Washburn WG16SCE
Seagull Entourage Rustic Mini Jumbo
Rover RM-35 Mandolin
Guild Pilot Bass
Squier Franken P Bass
Squier Vintage Modified fretless Jazz Bass
Michael Kelly Firefly 4-string fretless A/E Bass

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:08:57 AM »
I think what you do is order up some Grover 18:1 tuners from StewMac for under $50. The StewMac page with details, including all necessary measurements is here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/1/Grover_Full-size_Rotomatics/Specs.html#details

I know that today's D10s come with Grover Style tuners and it should be possible to swap in replacement Grovers without the need for new screw holes or any dimensioning of the peg holes. Can anyone confirm that - can you just drop in the Grovers? If so, I might put some 18:1s on my lovely new D10SCE (which, by the way, I'm coming to love deeply - SO sweet to play! It's always in my hands).

I'm not sure what stock tuners would be on a '91 D10N. I think the answer pawndream needs is to the same question as mine but relative to the '91 D10N - can he just drop replacement Grovers in without any drilling etc.?

By the way, pawndream, I have Grover 18:1s on my WG2S and my new Idol WI45. I love 'em! Smooth and accurate.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:13:22 AM by cedwards »
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy