Username: Password:

Author Topic: Indonesian Idol - Metric Pot Cavities?  (Read 4240 times)

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
Indonesian Idol - Metric Pot Cavities?
« on: August 28, 2009, 09:31:08 AM »
I'm happy with my WI45 as is right now (with VCC) but somewhere in the back of my mind I'm thinking about doing the same project as others here have done - switching out pots for standard volume and tone pots with push/pull for coil splitting.

My WI45 was made in Indonesia. I've read somewhere here that the Washburn imports have metric dimensions for the pot cavities with the result that, if one wants to drop in standard brand USA-made pots, the cavities must be re-drilled.

Is that true? If pothole drilling is required, I'm far less likely to do it. I'd hate to mess my new baby.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 10:39:54 PM »
hey Chris. My Idol is Korean born WI-67 that came with VCC. While I can't speak from a first person inspection...I'd be shocked if the specs on the VCC pots has changed. Putting a dial caliper to my set, the stems check out at .308 (7.8mm)(at the widest, threaded portion)

I had a pro luthier replace them with CTS volume pots and tone pot/coil taps, which are commonly available and well regarded. Those measure approx .365. I shot my Luthier an email...and he honestly can't recall if he had to open it up or not, but I'd guess it's likely. In my case, I feel it's such an improvement, that I had no qualms whatsoever.

Hope that helps.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »
Thanks Kimo,

That tells me what I need to know. Think I'll just stick with the VCC for now and have fun with that. This doesn't sound like a home project for me. Maybe a pro job at some point in the future.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 03:30:11 PM »
When in doubt, give a luthier a shout! [;)] [:0] [:)]

The small, but mighty collection:
Washburn N2, Barracuda Strat Copy, Art & Lutherie Acoustic, Greg Bennet D-5 Acoustic, Roland Cube 30

Offline TurnItUp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 06:37:29 AM »
Yes they are smaller, you will have to do a little modification. I didn't drill mine, that would be pretty scary. Instead I used a small rat tail file about the diameter of a pencil eraser and 6 inches long, you can find them at most hobby stores. They work great, and it only took about 3 or 4 minutes per hole. Use painters tape (blue masking tape) tape up the holes, work at a slow pace, remember file in a circle, following the edge of the whole removing a small amount of wood at a time, don't take too much off of one side and keep checking the hole size with your new pots. Piece a cake.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 06:07:47 PM by TurnItUp »

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by TurnItUp

Yes they are smaller, you will have to do a little modification. I didn't drill mine, that would be pretty scary. Instead I used a small rat tail file about the diameter of a pencil eraser and 6 inches long, you can find them at most hobby stores. They work great, and it only took about 3 or 4 minutes per hole. Use painters tape (blue masking tape) tape up the holes, work at a slow pace, remember file in a circle, following the edge of the whole removing a small amount of wood at a time, don't take too much off of one side and keep checking the hole size with your new pots. Piece a cake.

Hope this helps

TurnItUp,

Thanks for that and yes, it's a great help.[^] It sounds like a much better approach although still mighty frightening to me. I guess my worry would be lifting/splitting the finish and I assume that's the point of the painter's tape. Any problems with that aspect?

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline TurnItUp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 04:49:14 AM »
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I never had any problems lifting or splitting the finish. As long as you are filing in a downward position (which is the only way that you can file the holes) you shouldn't have any problems. I have done several guitars of my own and 2 of my friends guitars using this method and it works great. A lot better than drilling, I think anyway. Once you do the first one and see how easy it is, the fear will go away. My only advice is: DONT over file the wholes and make them too large. File a little and check the size with your new pots. You'll get the hang of it real quick.

Offline redheadrocker21

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »
arent there already two master tone and volume controls?
the thirteen year old american rocking kid

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 11:16:29 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by redheadrocker21

arent there already two master tone and volume controls?

the thirteen year old american rocking kid

There's the right number of holes. The issue is that, if you want to replace the existing pots with standard size US-made pots, the cavities on the imports are slightly too small and have to be reamed out.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Washburn JM300S (Score!)
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy