UK Section > UK Washburn Lovers Unite

Refinishing my project KC90 (image heavy)

(1/7) > >>

ncmreynolds:
Well tonight I got a bee in my bonnet and decided to make a start on the KC90. This is despite me seemingly already having a dozen other projects on the go.

First up I gutted it and removed the neck. I even removed the tremolo studs as they were a bit loose and appear to have been interfered with. It looked like somebody tried to put superglue round the top edge of one to try and hold it in.

I've decided to take Steve Robinsons (http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/) advice on stripping the old finish, i.e. smother it in dichloromethane based paint stripper and cover it in a bin bag.

Tomorrow we'll find out if this has been at all effective. As I had some lurking in my cellar it's cost me nothing to try.

I am considering refinishing the front of the headstock as it's a little bit scruffy but I'll start with just the body.

EC29, KC90 and a whole load of Indies

Cornish Boy:
Hey, nice pics, it'll be good to watch this, hope it turns out the way you want.

the_high_number:
Could leaving strong chemicals on it for that long affect the look of the wood (structurally, especially if it's a more than one piece body, and cosmetically)???

ncmreynolds:
quote:Originally posted by the_high_number

Could leaving strong chemicals on it for that long affect the look of the wood (structurally, especially if it's a more than one piece body, and cosmetically)???

Maybe, but then it is after all just a $100 project guitar that I've no sentimental attachment to. It would be a shame to ruin it but not the end of the world.

I won't be smothering it in stripper once the bulk of the finish is off.

2 EC29s, a KC90 and a whole load of Indies

ncmreynolds:
The paint stripper has barely touched the finish, so I've put another load on.

2 EC29s, a KC90 and a whole load of Indies

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version