Username: Password:

Author Topic: Refinishing my project KC90 (image heavy)  (Read 16389 times)

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
Refinishing my project KC90 (image heavy)
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 02:52:56 PM »
I definitely should have started with the detail sander, I've now got most of the finish off except for inside the cutaways. That'll be the most fiddly part so I'll tackle that another day.

2 EC29s, a KC90 and a whole load of Indies
<hr noshade size=1>
2 EC29s, RS10-V, RS8-V,  RR2-V, and a whole load of Indies

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »
I'm getting there, but it's a slow, noisy and dusty process...

...I can't really get that much done in the week as by the time I start it's 21:00.

I should be able to have a proper go at the weekend. I'm getting to the stage where I'll have to ditch the electric sander and do it by hand.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 08:13:59 PM »
After much sanding I've got to this point...

...the photos look much the same as before but it's now got to the point where I reckon I've sanded all the sealer off. There's still some primer in the trem route and paint in the pickup cavities but the plan is to brush paint those satin black last of all.

The body is a three piece but there are no nasty looking bits so I've stuck with the idea of an oil finish.

I've just put the first coat of Danish oil on, we'll see what it looks like in the morning. I went for 'natural' as I wanted a fairly light colour. It may be too light, but I'm guessing as this is an open finish I could actually just put a darker shade on top.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 02:22:11 AM »
Hopefully will bring the grain out, really difficult to spot it in those pics!!!

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 04:16:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by the_high_number

Hopefully will bring the grain out, really difficult to spot it in those pics!!!

It is, to be honest, not the prettiest bit of wood. The oil does seem to be bringing it out a bit but it's only the bottom piece that's interesting. The upper piece, which is the majority, is very plain.

I'm a little unsure about how to get a good finish from the oil, I've done a couple of coats now and will probably flat it down with some wire wool before doing another.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 04:24:54 PM »
I flatted the front down this evening with fine wire wool and it looks quite nice.

However I've messed up the back and sides a bit. I paid less attention to sanding these and also let the oil build up. The result is pretty patchy and sticky in places.

I'll see if I can rescue this. After I've left it a few days I'll try to wipe/sand it back to an even finish on the back.

I took some photos but they just look like the last lot really.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 12:38:47 PM »
Well I decided even if I was able to rescue the back the guitar would be a pretty featureless lump of blond wood.

So I've very harshly and roughly sanded the back and sides leaving all manner of whorls and scuffed sections then put some 'mahogany' stained Danish oil on...

Which has made it sort of pseudo-reliced. I've deliberately left the top as it was because it actually came up OK. I've tried to make a fairly clean line between the two...

I'll give the back and sides another go with the stained oil, flatting it down between coats then go over the whole thing with the natural oil. I'm hoping this will make it more interesting.

On the pickups front, I've recently bought a set of Reflex Reds from a strat thinking I could steal the active box to resurrect the ones that were in my EC29. I may try this and make an HSS set for the KC90 using the Humbucker and two of the singles.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 04:07:05 PM »
More oil on, this time natural coloured all over. I've just done this so the sheen is because it's wet.

I hope you can see what I'm trying to achieve here. The back and sides are sort of beaten up without being explicitly 'reliced' and have a strong contrast to the top.

I've tried to emphasise the control routes in the top with some of the oil used for the sides but it hasn't worked too well. For some reason they were dust magnets and I just couldn't stop them getting bits in there no matter how much I blew or wiped them out.

If this looks good once it's dry tomorrow I'll flat this down gently and then buff it.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 07:50:07 AM »
Looking good!  I dont think you will notice the control recess' on the front quite as much once youve got hardware back on it.  It will hide most of the finish and it'll soon get dusty anyway!  looking forward to seeing this put back together!  keep up the posts and pics!
if you cant afford it, build it

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 06:26:36 PM »
Right, here's a bit of a progress update. First up I painted the pickup and trem routes yesterday...

Tonight I stuck with two Kent Armstrong 'cool rails' in the single coil positions...

Then a Kent Armstrong 'Motherbucker' in the bridge...

I'm using these pickups because I like the clean all black look, but most importantly because I had them kicking around. [:)]

I've shielded the control cavity with aluminium tape, again because I happen to have some.

Then I roughly assembled it...

Here it is with everything fitted and tightened up...

It now needs wiring and setting up.

There are a few niggles with the finish, it's obviously a scrappy DIY job when you look close. This is most obvious where I've brush painted the control/trem routes as this is full of dust.

However I'm happy with the overall look, I'll see how it plays once I've found some time to finish it off. The only thing I'm not sure about is the painted headstock face. I'm now very tempted to sand that back and oil it.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »
That loks fantastic, congrats!!! =OD

Offline arykala

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/adamrykalaguitar
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 05:59:53 PM »
That now looks a lot like my transparent gold one!!

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/82/l_eacb734333e54b0fa7f77dc90ac20829.png

--

Washburn HM-24V (proto) / KC 90v x2 (Red, Translucent)/ MG 74/ MG 800 / Fernandes Revolver Pro w\\Sustainer / Ibanez 540 Radius (91 HSS) / Chimera (coming soon)
--

Washburn HM-24V (proto) / KC 90v x3 (Red, Translucent Gold, Translucent Pearl)/ MG 74/ MG 800 / Fernandes Revolver Pro w\\Sustainer / Ibanez 540 Radius (91 HSS) / Ibanez RGT42 BP / No Name LP Copy / LTD MH250 / Relic Strat / Artcore AG85 / Chimera (coming soon)

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by arykala
That now looks a lot like my transparent gold one!!

You're right. I'm not particularly up on Washburn's history so I wasn't copying it, honest.

Anyway today I finished off the wiring job and took some final photos.

I'm very happy with the blonde and black look.

There are a few things I'd like to sort at some point but it's finished for the moment.

• I tried to replace the odd trem saddle with one from the butchered EC29, but the thread in it was stripped. Does anybody have any spare 600S saddles?

• There was so much paint on it that the cover for the control cavity is no longer big enough and you can see the shielding tape. I need to run a line of black paint round this to hide it but don't have a small brush.

• Ideally I'd like to put a plate over the trem route on the back, but the one I have doesn't match up. Most places selling these don't supply any dimensions so it's pot luck whether they'll fit or not.

I really ought to play it a bit now. [:D]

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 12:59:23 PM »
nooooo trem cavity plates suck!

minimise the plastic on your guitar!

What do you want to do tomorrow?

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 02:55:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BlueBuddha

nooooo trem cavity plates suck!

I agree, they are generally part of the guitar that receives almost no effort/design from manufacturers. However I think they look unfinished without one.

The one on the KC90 isn't even inset so it's flush with the body, which always strikes me as a bit cheap.

If I thought I could make a good job of it I'd have a go at routing it out so it's inset then use a piece of thin ply and finish it in the same manner as the body. However I don't have a router or any skill in  using one.

<hr noshade size=1>