Username: Password:

Author Topic: Working on my butchered EC29 (image heavy)  (Read 16260 times)

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
Working on my butchered EC29 (image heavy)
« on: August 29, 2009, 08:33:44 AM »
I thought I'd split this into a new thread as it might run a while...

Well, having attacked the KC90 tonight I had a look at my new EC29. I've removed the pickups and all the associated grotty wiring. Now you can get a good look at the butchery...

...I'm not quite sure what the two holes I've circled are for, perhaps a previous owner tried to make an oversize pickup surround that was like a small scratchplate. The bits of wood added to screw the pickup surround to are very grotty and almost look like old pencils.

Also one of the holes for the pots is very oversize. Originally this would have been the control for the active circuit, although I think on my other EC29 this was actually smaller than a normal pot.

I think I like the idea of plugging both pickup routes and having it routed for a single P90 then fitting an EMG P81 or P85 for a very minimalistic look with no pickup surround.

Although this would be well beyond my meagre woodworking skills and I'd have to pay a professional.

2 EC29s, a KC90 and a whole load of Indies
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:34:06 AM by ncmreynolds »
<hr noshade size=1>
2 EC29s, RS10-V, RS8-V,  RR2-V, and a whole load of Indies

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:44:11 AM »
Having slept on it I decided to have a go at making a repair to the route. Not a 'proper' repair but something that would fill the hole and give me something to mount a pickup to.

First I chiselled the routed out area square. Well as square as my rubbish woodwork skills would allow...

Then I made a small block of wood to fill the area roughly back into a normal shape/size pickup route...

Then I glued it in place...

I've also plugged the various random screw holes. I know there are various things wrong with this work, the grain runs the wrong way on the block for a start. It's just to give me a solid base to mount a pickup.

I may fill and sand the holes/joins then paint the area just to make it less obvious.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:01:25 PM »
With the glue dry enough to work on I sanded it all back flush with the surface...

This scuffed up the finish a bit, but it was always kind of inevitable it would need some kind of refinish. Next I cleaned out the joins and chips then blobbed far too much filler on.

Then sanded it back.

Then stuck some black paint on it to seal it a bit and match the inside of the pickup cavity. Anybody know where you can buy proper shielding paint?

So it's now beginning to look like a guitar in need of a refin instead of a guitar with an ugly hole in it.

Once the paint is dry I'll smooth it back and think about what to do with the top to cover the repair up. I'm coming around to the idea of a black stripe and I happen to have some black nitrocellulose I bought to refinish my Jackson.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »
Man you work a lot faster than i do!!!

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by the_high_number

Man you work a lot faster than i do!!!

Whenever I get a new guitar I just can't resist messing around with it, even if it's just giving it a really good clean, change of strings and setup.

It doesn't help that I'm a compulsive modder.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 02:30:12 PM »
Today I started sanding it back again and ended up taking most of the black paint off.

I then started to think about refinishing the centre section to cover things up and got as far as looking for proper primer/paint. However I then realised I was indulging in 'feature creep' and I'd achieved my aim of filling the hole in.

So I stuck it all back together...

...using the Gibson bridge pickup it came with and the Seymour Duncan vintage single coil that was in my KC90. It was sold to me as having a  Seymour Duncan bridge but I'm not made fussed it doesn't. The single coil was a cheapie so I thought I'd swap it as I won't be using the Seymour in the KC90.

One annoyance was that I wired it up for coil tap and phase reverse with push-pull pots but when I tried it out the bridge pickup didn't work.

After a bit of poking around I found that the brand new push pull pot I had used was faulty. I haven't got another so I've just shorted it so it's on '10' all the time until I can replace it.

It now needs a quick setup which I'll tackle shortly, I was busy with other things this afternoon. It still looks rubbish and that can't be solved other than with a serious refin but I am at least now happy with the way the bridge pickup is mounted.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 02:32:41 PM by ncmreynolds »
<hr noshade size=1>

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »
well it's deinitely an improvement, great job so far!!!

at the end of the day what's left is just cosmetic, so you have a guitar in good playing condition!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 03:47:07 PM »
you can get the conductive paint from maplins.  Nice work aswell [:)]  That'll look great when its sprayed up.
if you cant afford it, build it

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
Next thing out of Pandoras box was that the saddles on the trem were odd. It looks like two original Washburn ones and four cheap generic ones.

Not that this matters too much but as they were fitted it went up and down instead of approximating a radius with B being noticeably high. I'd sort of spotted this when initially playing it. Having had the saddles off there seemed to be four different heights and no way to make a sane set from them.

So I've just fitted a complete set from a BC Rich trem I had lying around. They were in much better condition anyway. They seem a tiny touch narrower than the ones on there but once fitted and under tension it looks fine.

The couple of spare Washburn saddles I have now may allow me to replace the odd ones on the KC90 trem.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 10:12:40 AM »
Well I knew I'd seen them somewhere, Extra Large P/U surrounds Item number:   260356675652

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Cornish Boy

Well I knew I'd seen them somewhere, Extra Large P/U surrounds Item number:   260356675652

That might well have done the job, but it's sorted now. Well at least until I choose to refinish it. I'm not sure it'd be big enough to cover all the nastiness now I've scuffed the finish up in a slightly larger area then the original damage.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 04:46:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by N4ESA_UK
you can get the conductive paint from maplins.

Have you got a link for that? All I can find is the silver stuff you use for repairing PCBs and that might prove expensive to do the cavities with.

I've found this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310101097478

...but it seems quite pricey. Stewmac sell it but then we're into International shipping, customs fees and PO handling charges.

When I rewired an old bass recently I used some aluminium tape I had but that's not very easy to apply in oddly shaped cavities.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 04:55:25 AM »
Thats the stuff Ive seen at maplins.  A little should go a long way if you prime the cavaties first.  That stuff on ebay looks good aswell! alot more for your money.

The aluminium and copper tapes can be fiddly and a bit expensive.  If you look at Air conditioning suppliers you should be able to get wider rolls of adhesive backed aluminium tape.  You can cut 1 pc to fit in the cavity if the rolls are wide enough.  A thought ive just had, you could make a thin cardboard template that fits into the cavity and cover it front and back with the tape. may be easier than trying to work inside the guitar?
if you cant afford it, build it

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 05:10:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by N4ESA_UK
The aluminium and copper tapes can be fiddly and a bit expensive.  

I happen to have a fair size roll of aluminium tape kicking around but it is like you say rather fiddly to apply.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline arykala

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/adamrykalaguitar
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 03:21:08 PM »
As an aside, I think the extra two holes were possibly a MIDI pickup mount for the Roland system

--

Washburn HM-24V (proto) / KC 90v x2 (Red, Translucent)/ MG 74/ MG 800 / Fernandes Revolver Pro w\\Sustainer / Ibanez 540 Radius (91 HSS) / Chimera (coming soon)
--

Washburn HM-24V (proto) / KC 90v x3 (Red, Translucent Gold, Translucent Pearl)/ MG 74/ MG 800 / Fernandes Revolver Pro w\\Sustainer / Ibanez 540 Radius (91 HSS) / Ibanez RGT42 BP / No Name LP Copy / LTD MH250 / Relic Strat / Artcore AG85 / Chimera (coming soon)