Username: Password:

Author Topic: Working on my butchered EC29 (image heavy)  (Read 16285 times)

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
Working on my butchered EC29 (image heavy)
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 02:32:14 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by arykala

As an aside, I think the extra two holes were possibly a MIDI pickup mount for the Roland system

Now there's a thought. It would explain why the pickup was moved forward as well.

2 EC29s, a KC90 and a whole load of Indies
<hr noshade size=1>
2 EC29s, RS10-V, RS8-V,  RR2-V, and a whole load of Indies

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 09:48:28 AM »
I've bought a piece of blank 3-ply scratchplate material to try my hand at making a custom one to suit the EC29. I was thinking of going for a very trad strat style adjusted for the EC29s slightly odd shape.

Anybody got any suggestions on how to cut and shape this cleanly?

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 04:21:29 AM »
try doing something a bit different, strat is over done.

take a look at the N5/N6 looks odd at first, but is definitely a welcome change from the norm (i'm not saying copy it, just try something else!!!)

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 05:05:31 AM »
If you're looking for ideas try Aurora Project, they have quite a few different designs on show. Worth a look anyway.

http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/web%20site%20first%20page.htm

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 05:20:10 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by the_high_number

try doing something a bit different, strat is over done

I'm not particularly artistic I suspect any design I came up with myself would suck.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 05:35:30 AM »
theres quite a few templates here that you can look at and maybe use for inspiration. I think its a useful site

http://www.terrapinguitars.com/pdfFiles.html
if you cant afford it, build it

Offline JayGee

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 08:10:37 AM »
Hi all,

I'm not a Washburn owner (yet!) but finding myself potentially in need of something with a locking trem so that I can make swoopy noises Nick (Hi Nick!) kindly offered me the loan of something appropriate from his extensive(!) collection.

I spent some time playing this very guitar and, while it does look a little rough in places all I can say is that it's bloody fabulous. Cosmetic issues aside (and we were kicking around some ideas for that which should make it look very attractive without perpetrating any further outrages on the poor thing) Nick's done a fine job of turning what looks to have been a bit of a dog into a solid working instrument and he should be proud of what he's achieved.

No idea what these are like with the original electronics but with the current pickup complement (Seymour Duncan vintage Strat in what on any other guitar would be the middle position, Gibson Burstbucker at the bridge) it transcends its Big Hair origins to give a lovely warm Classic Rock tone which sounds as good clean (I was playing Sultans on Swing on it at one point which has just got to be first on one of these...) as it does in full-on filth mode - certainly it's a lot more versatile than you'd think from looking at it!

It's really very, very nice indeed and I look forward to spending some quality time with it once Nick's sorted out the bridge pickup's volume control which is currently hardwired to 10 (or maybe that should be 11). I'm also really looking forward to seeing what my bandmates and the guys at the local pub jam night make of it as I'm pretty sure nobody's turned up with one of these before [:D]

I can easily see myself owning one of these if one turns up at the right price...

--
Jonathon.

Offline bald eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 09:39:30 AM »
Hi ncmreynolds

thats a great job u have done to restore that axe!!!

i dont think it needs a scratch plate and i bet if u can work wonders with a wreck like that suggests ur probably that good a fiddler chances are u wont scrath the beast once its finished.

i found a great design for the paint work whilst searching for a EC-29 if u were thinking of going the full nine yards-the address is below but it isnt a link so u may hae to paste it into address cos im useless with computers!.
i also saw 1 in a shop a few years ago with a similar finish but the base colour was cream with black veins making it look like marble which is a bit less '80s!it had a handle routed out like the ibanez jem but i guess thats just cosmetic.i should have snapped it up and now im searching for 1! all i can find is the picture in the link!

keep up the good work man

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1988-Stephens-Extended-Cutaway-Guitar-by-Washburn-Ad_W0QQitemZ150393934500QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item23042d52a4

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 10:53:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bald eagle

thats a great job u have done to restore that axe!!!

Thanks. Those finishes are the 'magma' ones which Washburn seemed keen on at one point. I'm actually doing some more work on this guitar this weekend, but it's electrical so not very interesting to look at. I may post a picture or two though.

My other EC29 (I own two) is in a teal finish with multi-coloured squiggles in. Hard to describe really but just as OTT as the Magma ones.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline JayGee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 04:32:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by JayGee

I'm also really looking forward to seeing what my bandmates and the guys at the local pub jam night make of it as I'm pretty sure nobody's turned up with one of these before [:D]

I can easily see myself owning one of these if one turns up at the right price...

Update:

Borrowed it, played it, gigged it, still got it :-)

Sadly the Burstbucker (which was truly A Thing Of Great Joy And Beauty) bit the dust while Nick was rewiring to my specs[1] (master tone, master volume, progressive coil tap with push/pull selector for which coil you get - at least some of that may be purely to avoid having a couple of non-functional controls left over, but, hey, it's all good...) and the whatinthenameofgodisthatcaster[2] now sports a Seymour Duncan JB at the bridge.

Having done one rehearsal and one in-at-the-deep-end gig[3] with my new band I can honestly say that I still think this is a fabulous guitar - like the PRS Mira which is my main instrument it seems to really come to life in your hands and howl (in the nicest possible way) with a bit of volume and a cranked amp. I did manage to dislocate the whammy bar (treble side pivot slipped out of it's notch) with a bit of over-exuberant tremelo abuse on White Wedding but I really don't think either Nick, Washburn, or the guitar can be blamed for that as I really was being very silly with it by this point.

Sadly I really can't keep gigging someone else's guitar (particularly not something as rare as the EC seems to be) so it's being replaced with a Squier Showmaster (which if nothing else is slightly less likely to have the bass players eye out with the headstock!) but I'm really going to miss it and will definitely be looking out for my own when circumstances allow...

--
Jonathon.

[1] A chap could get used to having a personal guitar tech, especially when the deal seems to include a couple of rooms full of tasty axes...

[2] It does tend to provoke double-takes from people who've never seen one before. And that's most people...

[3] In my home town of Braintree - the thought of playing in front of people who might actually recognise me was scary even before the venue got raided for drugs while we were half way through unloading...

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 08:00:47 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by JayGee

Sadly I really can't keep gigging someone else's guitar (particularly not something as rare as the EC seems to be) so it's being replaced with a Squier Showmaster (which if nothing else is slightly less likely to have the bass players eye out with the headstock!) but I'm really going to miss it and will definitely be looking out for my own when circumstances allow...

Well at least it's getting played, it spends a lot of time sitting in a case round here. Finding another one in the UK may be interesting. They must be around but I can't imagine they change hands very often. This one was on eBay twice before I bought it and other than that I think I've seen one EC36 on there. There are probably a couple lurking in music shops but it's a matter of finding one.

It's probably easier to find one in the US and get it shipped.

<hr noshade size=1>

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 03:36:15 PM »
I've started out on the scratchplate idea for this, details on my blog.

2 EC29s, KC90, G2-V, RR2-V and a whole load of Indies
<hr noshade size=1>

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 04:48:08 PM »
More updates...

Part 2
Part 3

...it's not perfect but it was a bit of fun and my first venture into custom scratchplates.

2 EC29s, KC90, G2-V, RR2-V and a whole load of Indies
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:55:24 PM by ncmreynolds »
<hr noshade size=1>

Offline darreno27

• View Profile
    • http://www.vintagewashburn.com
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »
Very nice.  How hard was it to fit the original floyd on it?

--------------------------
www.vintagewashburn.com

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 07:26:34 AM »
Nice job Nick, how's it sound now with the SDs in place??