Username: Password:

Author Topic: Am I the only one?  (Read 21530 times)

Offline radenshirinji

• View Profile
Am I the only one?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 01:13:04 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by vheissu
ROFL!! Raden, I think you've upset Rocket now.
I can answer your question with two very simple, and really rather small, words HELL YES!!! If it didn't I doubt many would be spending all those extra $$s on one.

vheissu, what does ROFL mean?

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Am I the only one?
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by radenshirinji

I am very sorry if I have offended anyone. That was really an innocent question anyway. Technically, I am almost ignorant about guitars althought I have been playing for many years. That is why a lot of my questions may sound stupid or silly, with no meaning for most of you in this forum, but they mean something for me.

No problem.....and don't take Rocket too seriously (Lord knows, he doesn't take himself too seriously, so we shouldn't, either, right?). He's a bit of a rascal, but he's very knowledgable.  I can remember the beginning of my journey with a guitar (not quite 40 years ago) and many of the questions you ask would surely have come from me, too.

One thing you might be interested in regarding your question about the J58SW and D10S is the difference in their construction.  The D10S has a solid wood soundboard and laminated sides/back.  The J58SW is of all solid wood construction.  The J58SW is also much larger than the D10S, particularly in depth (but also in body shape), and that is what makes a jumbo hard to play for anyone other than a large individual. They do sound different b/c the larger internal volume and general size of the J58SW will emphasize (reinforce) different portions of the sound spectrum, as well as add a bit of volume. Better has to be a subjective issue; hence, Rocket's apparent impatience.  We here in the U.S. have greater availability and most of us do not buy a guitar until we have played it.....you do not have that opportunity, which puts you at a disadvantage.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.

The issue of all solid-wood construction can have long-term benefits.  When a guitar is made of all laminate construction (like plywood), what you hear when you get the guitar is as good as it will ever sound.  However, because of the way the cells in solid wood become more resonant with age, the sound of an all solid-wood guitar will improve with age.  Most of us agree that the biggest improvement from ageing comes from the soundboard, and both guitars you mentioned have solid wood soundboards, but I can attest to the fact that solid wood back/sides make a bit of difference, too.  My first Washburn was a WD32S (solid sound board, laminate sides and back) and my second was a WD32SW (solid sound board, solid sides and back)--for most purposes the same guitar, the only difference being the all solid-wood construction of the WD32SW.  My first WOW moment with the WD32SW came the first time I held it and strummed the strings....the guitar felt more active, I could feel the wood vibrating where the backs and sides touched my body whereas with the WD32S there was none of that.  Sonically they are similar, but also different.  The benefits of improved tonality and sustain that come with ageing are slow to develop and might well not be noticed to an owner who plays the guitar every day, but they are real.  We call the process ...opening up.

So, it is POSSIBLE that the J58SW, being all solid wood construction, might improve in sound quality with ageing to a greater degree than the D10S.....again, we all hear differently and to some the changes might not be as noticable as they are to others.

Oh, BTW (which means by the way)--ROFL means rolling on floor, laughing, ROFLMAO means rolling on floor, laughing my a** off.....these abbreviations seem to have originated with text messageing when cell phone companies charged for text messages by counting the characters in the text.

Keep on asking questions.....we were all beginners at one time.

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW. D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
Am I the only one?
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

The J58SW is also much larger than the D10S, particularly in depth (but also in body shape), and that is what makes a jumbo hard to play for anyone other than a large individual.

Paul Simon, Emmylou Harris, Brian Setzer, (among many others including myself,) would disagree. Player size is not a factor in guitar choice or why would Clapton prefer a 00... unless he's secretly a Little Person.
I'm not a large person... like others, I play jumbo's because I prefer the sound.

Offline radenshirinji

• View Profile
Am I the only one?
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 12:40:41 AM »
Thank you for your lenghty explanation YerDugliness. Is it true that the guitar top makes 95% of the sound quality?

BTW, what does ROWL mean - Roll on w......laughing? I saw this abbreviation in one of the topics here.

Offline radenshirinji

• View Profile
Am I the only one?
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 12:43:31 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket
Paul Simon, Emmylou Harris, Brian Setzer, (among many others including myself,) would disagree. Player size is not a factor in guitar choice or why would Clapton prefer a 00... unless he's secretly a Little Person.
I'm not a large person... like others, I play jumbo's because I prefer the sound.

I agree with you Rocket. My brother is only slighty larger than me but he plays an Ibanez jumbo.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Am I the only one?
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by radenshirinji

Thank you for your lenghty explanation YerDugliness. Is it true that the guitar top makes 95% of the sound quality?

BTW, what does ROWL mean - Roll on w......laughing? I saw this abbreviation in one of the topics here.

I'm not sure about the 95% assertion, but IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) it might be 65%-75%.  Don't underestimate the contribution of the box (the sides and back) to the sonic characteristics of the guitar.  My WD32S (which you no longer see on my profile signature b/c I gave it away to a promising young musician yesterday) had better bass than my WD32SW....I think the laminate construction resulted in a stiffer body.  The energy that was not absorbed by the body, resulting in vibration, was therefore used to provide greater acoustic reinforcement and projected back out the soundhole.  My WD32SW, however, has a much sweeter sound....I attribute that to the contribution of the solid wood back and sides...there seems to be a greater emphasis on the harmonic overtones with the WD32SW and a greater emphasis on the fundamental harmonics with the WD32S.  Each sounds equally good, each better than the other on certain types of music.....but still different.  IMHO, though, the soundboard is responsible for the majority of the sonic character of a guitar.....that may explain why my preference is for a cedar/redwood soundboard over a spruce soundboard.  Cedar seems to be more responsive to left-hand technique, whereas spruce responds well when driven hard (and cedar tends to break up when driven hard).  Redwood seems to offer the best of both worlds....it is responsive/expressive like cedar and stands up to vigorous strumming like spruce.  I have both a classical and a steel-string guitar with redwood soundboards.....they are my high-end guitars.  My fave, though, is a mid-priced Epiphone with a cedar soundboard and rosewood backs/sides.....the body is a 12 fret-free advanced jumbo model (fits well in a dreadnought guitar case) with a slot-head. The V-neck is quite nice for my playing style (classical guitar posture) and the scale and nut-width are just a delightful combo.

So, you can see that there is more to preference than just tonewoods.....which is the reason most of us here recommend you spend as much time in as many music stores playing as many different types of guitars as possible.  That perfect combination might just fall into your hands at any time.

As for ROWL.....sorry, can't help you there.....that one's a mystery to me.

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:00:39 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
Am I the only one?
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »
ROWL = Raised Outline White Letters

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
Am I the only one?
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 05:20:04 PM »
and that is what makes a jumbo hard to play for anyone other than a large individual.

I wouldn't call Little Jimmy Dickens a large individual. I think he played a Gibson J200.

Offline radenshirinji

• View Profile
Am I the only one?
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 03:50:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness
So, you can see that there is more to preference than just tonewoods.....which is the reason most of us here recommend you spend as much time in as many music stores playing as many different types of guitars as possible.  That perfect combination might just fall into your hands at any time.

Dugly [8D]

You are lucky you can try playing the guitars at the music stores. Some of the guitar stores here would not allow me to try their guitars, unless I make a commitment I would buy it. Most of the times I only hear the guitar sound from the store assistants who play for me. There is a lot of possibility I would not know the perfect combination.