Username: Password:

Author Topic: I did it! Hubba! Hubba!  (Read 7471 times)

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
I did it! Hubba! Hubba!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 11:32:35 AM »
I haven't had a chance to take a close look at what you sent.  However, the Microsoft publisher files you sent would not work with my Microsoft publisher - wrong version.  :(  Way to go Microsoft!  The excel files worked no problem.

I still have to download the Finale viewer...thanks again for sending the stuff!

Mark

-------------------
Washburn W240
Washburn D10SCE
Sivertone Model 319
Ibanez DCL St.Chorus 1985
Rocktron Compressor
DiMarzio Acoustic Pickup
Peavey Backstage Amp
Lots of Smiles ;)
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
I did it! Hubba! Hubba!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 12:52:08 PM »
Yep, mostly review.  In high school I learned the 2-1/2 - 3-1/2 rule, i.e., 2 whole steps, 1 half step, 3 whole steps, 1 half step rule for all major scales.  BTDT.  I was instructed in all keys since I played Tenor Sax.  The Tenor sax is a Bb instrument - same as a trumpet or a clarinet, so all music was transposed to match concert pitch.  I also played Eb Alto Sax.  There is a C melody Sax, but I've yet to hear or play one of those.

Most of the 3 chord rotation songs (or 4 chord w/relative minor added) are pretty easy to get, no matter what key.  The songs that get me are the songs that are notated (Chorded) in one key, but lowered and played two half steps down.  We do that because some of the ladies that lead songs can't sing as high in the standard congregational key.  

For example:    A typical song might be in the key of Eb, but Sun nights and Wed nights we lower by 2 steps.  This is easy on the CVP-900 Yamaha we use (digital piano - just hit the transpose button!), but for us, we're now in Db on guitar.  Sure, if it's a 1-4-5 song just Capo 1 and play in C.  However, if the song is like this, it gets more dicey:
   Eb  Eb/G  Ab  Ab/C  Bb/D  G/B  Cm  F/A  Bb  Eb/G  Ab  Fm  Eb/Bb  Bb  (first line of Steve Green's Proclaim the Glory of the Lord)

So... you're left in the dust unless you have completely re-chorded the entire song, which is, BTW, what I'm working on doing.

OK, so on these songs I don't strum - I improvise!  That is why I mapped the notes in a key out on a guitar keyboard chart.  It's fun, but you have to be very careful not to play dissonant notes.  Not easy when the chords change once every beat.

But knowing more chord inversions and alternates - in all keys - helps me be able to anticipate where I need to go in a given key.  The last post is essentially what you sent me in the improvise excel file.  I think that will prove to be very helpful to me.

Mark

-------------------
Washburn W240
Washburn D10SCE
Sivertone Model 319
Ibanez DCL St.Chorus 1985
Rocktron Compressor
DiMarzio Acoustic Pickup
Peavey Backstage Amp
Lots of Smiles ;)
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)