Username: Password:

Author Topic: MATSUMOKU and the HB-35  (Read 165366 times)

Offline Nico

• View Profile
Re: MATSUMOKU and the HB-35
« Reply #240 on: September 09, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »
Nice one mok. My string-thru(832846) looks fairly identical to yours.

The exceptions would be the pickups(at some point they switched to Dimarzio look-alikes with 2 adjusting screws on the bass side) and the serial # ink(mine is grey= easy to read). Also the tuners are a bit different but with the same decal.

I recently searched the neck for composition. It's maple and quite likely 3-piece though pretty hard to tell. Very similar to Mat-made Epis of that era.

Fwiw, your selector switch is similar to mine but definitely not the same. Also, in looking through the f-hole, I'm seeing 2 philips-head screws, not the back/threads(reversed?)

Hopefully soon I'll have an '81 also in which to compare. I'm currently theorizing that maybe the 81xxxx's were made by Yamaki and, like the wing series, switched to Mat in '82. ??

Offline Nico

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 09, 2012, 04:38:15 PM »
Anyone near Lexington(Ky?)?

_http://lexington.craigslist.org/msg/3161922187.html

Another no-serial, diamond volute mystery HB-35. Nice tailpiece! No price.

Offline King of the Stuntmen

• View Profile
    • http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=68492&T=8794
« Reply #242 on: September 17, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »

Well, it's been a while since I've been on the forum but I just spent an enjoyable few minutes catching up via this thread.

I can't contribute anything other than some old pics of my HB-35. She was given to me by a friend who used to be a pawnbroker, and as best I can tell she's all orginal.

More here - http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/kingofthestuntmen/Mystery%20HB-35/

Got a proper camera now, so I should maybe take some better pics.

KotS

Offline Washbob

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 29, 2012, 01:27:10 PM »
Hey, All - After spending a few weeks perusing all the pages of this thread, and trying to make some sense out of all the info here, I thought I'd throw in my two cents' worth and add some data to the accumulated pile.  Also seems like activity has slowed to a trickle, so thought I[d bump it and see what else comes up...

I recently acquired an HB-35 which, near as I can tell, is a 1990 model.  Per the info presented previously, this should be toward the tail end of the Japanese run; however, many of its characteristics sound like the early Korean models.  It has a six digit serial number with no letter prefixes; however, something that I've not heard from others is that the first three numbers are stamped, while the last three are hand-written.  It also exhibits most all of the shape and configuration characteristics of Washburn's current models as far as headstock, horn shape, switch and plug location, etc.  Definitely has a scarf jointed headstock, and relative to Racing's comments (I think...) the tuner alignment is all over the map  (i.e. not the precise alignment typical of a Mat...).  The frets are pretty high, too, which someone said was typical of the Korean models.

Anyway, I've played exclusively acoustic for the last 30+ years and am just getting into the whole semi-hollow body electric gig, so have a lot to learn.  I enjoyed sorting through all the info previously presented, and hope this might help round out the picture a bit, as the early nineties models seem to be the least represented here.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays!

A few pictures are here:  http://s29.beta.photobucket.com/user/rmo59/library/Washburn%20HB-35?#/user/rmo59/library/Washburn%20HB-35?&_suid=135680675288709811414092387689
(if someone can tell me how to attach them directly I'd do that, but all I get when I try the attachment buttons is two sets of brackets with img/img in them...)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:55:15 PM by Washbob »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 29, 2012, 01:56:59 PM »
Wow, shes a looker. Hope this helps.   Tom.  :)  http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,21807.0.html

Offline Washbob

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 29, 2012, 09:20:18 PM »
Thanks, Tom.  I actually saw that post just after (of course...) I uploaded my post.  So I went back and tried to edit the message to add the pictures that way, but for some reason Photobucket doesn't behave that way for me.  It appears they've recently reworked their format, so don't know if that changed things or not...

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 29, 2012, 11:51:01 PM »
   Still the same.  Tom.  :)   I use Win, 7 home prem.   :)   :) 

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 29, 2012, 11:57:04 PM »
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:04:22 AM by t.y. »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 30, 2012, 12:06:35 AM »
Here you go. Pictures are important for future searches :)  :) 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:08:09 AM by t.y. »

Offline Washbob

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 30, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »
Super!  Thanks.  I'll have to play with it some more to see what's going on.  I'm using same OS, but it's been over a year since I'd logged into my Photobucket account, so am not familiar with their new format.

BTW, the other thing I like about this guitar is that the "Washburn" inlay on the headstock doesn't have the registered trademark symbol after it, like a lot of newer ones (and some older ones, apparently) do.

-B

Offline Zander99

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 02, 2013, 03:03:47 PM »
Hello everybody,
got this HB-35 to my birthday.
I don't have any idea from which year this guitar is and i wold have a kind of description about material and special feature.

Sorry for my bad English.
Pics says more then words:

if i wrong here some Moderator plz move it in right thread

Offline Washbob

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 03, 2013, 12:09:12 AM »
That bears a striking resemblance to mine!  With a 91xxxx serial number, from what I could tell earlier in this thread (back on page 3...) yours was probably built in 1991, and I'm guessing originated in Korea.  Earlier models were pretty variable in terms of headstocks, appointments, etc., but they seem to have started to standardize with the 1990 model, which has carried over even to the current models.  Nothing special about them that I can tell, other than that it's definitely a nice guitar.  I got mine from a friend who had this Washburn and a 1976 Gibson Les Paul 3-pickup Black Beauty (which is still for sale, by the way...  If anyone is interested, contact me!).  When I had a professional guitarist friend evaluate them, he said the Gibson was a good collector's guitar, but the Washburn is a good player's guitar.  I chose the Washburn.  (Didn't hurt that the price was about $2500 less, too...  ;-)

Offline ZG925

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2013, 01:52:01 AM »
New to the site. I just picked up J6 today at Salvation Army. It is fantastic shape although the pick guard is missing. Serial number is 8066. From what I'm reading that would make it an 88 Japanese made.? It has a 5 piece neck and is the sunburst color. If there is any additional info needed please don' hesitate to ask.

Offline Raudy

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2013, 08:35:30 AM »
Hi guys, just joined this site a I've been trying to research details about my HB35 I'm trying to find out the age of my HB35 and if it's MIJ??  It has the old authentic label inside the f hole that says 'George Washburn, hand crafted in the Washburn tradition of Chicago'.  It gives me the model number, but surprisingly it doesn't have a serial number at all! I've looked all over to try and find one somewhere but no luck, and it's not a case of it being faded away either. So I'm curios to know if I have a MIJ model or not!? Any help here would be very much appreciated!!

It's red in colour that you can still see the word grain in, the headstock doesn't have the trademark symbol as the new ones do,  and tapers inward at the top  rather than bulking outward.

I'll try to upload a pic soon for you all

Cheers

Raudy

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »
Hi Raudy and welcome to the forum.
Looking forward to the pics, sounds as if you have an early model with a "Wing Series" neck, and Dots Not Splits as fret markers. If so,made in Japan is a good guess.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 04:03:20 PM by Cornish Boy »