Username: Password:

Author Topic: N4 Padauk For Sale *SOLD*  (Read 12368 times)

Offline undergroovelive

• View Profile
N4 Padauk For Sale *SOLD*
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 02:14:19 PM »
the serial number is 00003010....year 2000 neck???

It is genuine Padauk and not stained...Only the actual Padauk guitars get darker with age and look this good...plus it weighs a ton! :)

N4 Old
N4 Padauk
Mesa Boogie F-50
Roland JC-50
N4 Davies
USA Strat 1977
Mesa Boogie F-50
Roland JC-50

Offline undergroovelive

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 02:16:22 PM »
Also....Padauks were only made in '93-'94 according to the washburn archives...
Stained models were made thereafter...mine is an original :)

N4 Old
N4 Padauk
Mesa Boogie F-50
Roland JC-50
N4 Davies
USA Strat 1977
Mesa Boogie F-50
Roland JC-50

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 03:28:53 AM »
nah, ive got 3 padauk N4 bodys at home and 2 were made in 2006 and 1 was made in 2007.  Even some ppl at washburn will tell you their historical records arent that accurate.  

Not all padauk gets darker, some even gets lighter in colour.  Its down to UV exposure more than age aswell.  They lose the red pigment and turn an earthy brown colour when they age.  Yours still looks quite red to me.  Im not saying that it isnt padauk, but obviously as it's got a stained neck then its bound to raise the query [;)]

Are you saying your body is from 1993-1994? btw, your serial number has 1 too many numbers aswell, maybe a typo?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:31:25 AM by N4ESA_UK »
if you cant afford it, build it

Offline undergroovelive

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 04:08:42 AM »
I was talking about the original run of Padauks!

They were only made in 1993 and 1994. The ones you have are the newer ones.Plus it is real Padauk as only Padauk weighs as much as mine does!

The serial on the neck is 00003013, no typo!

Look I aint gonna argue with u lot anymore, I've been a Nuno fan since I was a kid and I know my stuff. Met the guy, he signed my other N4, etc.

By the way, I sold my padauk (REAL PADAUK, and not the horrible newer ones) for $1100 - so much for that $500 aye....

N4 Old
N4 Padauk
Mesa Boogie F-50
Roland JC-50
N4 Davies
USA Strat 1977
Mesa Boogie F-50
Roland JC-50

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 05:09:44 AM »
no offense was intended at all, if you come onto a forum dedicated to the nuno bettencourt series of washburn guitars and start saying stuff like 'i replaced the padauk neck cos they aint very good' then ppl are bound to start asking questions.  Im glad you sold it for such a high price, but the truth is that the last 2 ive seen on ebay in the UK were priced at under $650 and didnt sell.  I think you'll be able to get a great strat for $1100.

no one was arguing with you at all, just asking questions.

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 02:04:49 PM »
Yeah, might be worth backing up your 'paddy necks are bad' claim with a description as to why, i've never heard any one else on here or the other forums i look at on this topic mention any thing like that.  might just be your preference.

i personally wouldn't pay anything like that for a second hand paddy, not looking at the prices you can get them for from the states.

Offline undergroovelive

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 03:23:59 AM »
That's you preference, but don't forgot the new ones are a horrible colour, all bright red...mine was 16 years old and was much darker in colour than when new.

I was told that Padauk necks were bad by a Washburn Dealer in New York....Manny's Music to be precise. I guess that's why the neck was changed to a stained one....who knows???

Anyone else got a Davies N4 on here???

N4 Davies
Musicman Sub1
Mesa Boogie F-50
Roland JC-50
N4 Davies
USA Strat 1977
Mesa Boogie F-50
Roland JC-50

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 04:26:15 AM »
so you don't know the necks are bad then??  you've just passed on one persons opinion!!

colour is all personal preference any ways, the best i've seen has wierd light coloured stripes all over it, madness!!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 04:51:31 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by undergroovelive

That's you preference, but don't forgot the new ones are a horrible colour, all bright red...mine was 16 years old and was much darker in colour than when new.

so beacause the padauk was darker its better? mine isnt bright red and I finished this about 3 months ago...

Have you ever seen padauk timber?? it is bright red when its freshly cut.  It only gets darker as it oxidises and changes colour.  Im guessing at some point yours was a much brighter colour than it is now.  I dont know why youve come on here if its just to bash the new padauk N4's and big up your own. none of us here are that naive.

quote:

I was told that Padauk necks were bad by a Washburn Dealer in New York....Manny's Music to be precise. I guess that's why the neck was changed to a stained one....who knows???.

lol, did they tell you that just before they sold it to you??? Youve already said you know how dense padauk is and how straight grained it is....WHY would it make a bad neck wood? Thats arse gravy of the highest order

quote:

Anyone else got a Davies N4 on here???

yes plenty of ppl, try searching the forum and you'll find the relevant sections.  Theres a long thread called 'show us your davies N4' somewehere, you'll find alot of info on there.

edit:  heres the link dude...http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9741

Just to reiterate, no-one is having a dig at you and the only reason we ask questions and try to correct incorrect information is beacuse were honest and have a high regard for the instrument in question.  People, such as yourself, come on to the forums to find out information (as washburn seem to suck at customer service info on older instruments)  Ive learnt alot of stuff I didnt know by talking to ppl on here and asking questions.  

we all love the N4, dont turn it into an argument [:D]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 05:00:56 AM by N4ESA_UK »

Offline undergroovelive

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 06:48:43 AM »
I bought the guitar in Texas...Manny's music in New York told me that Padauk Necks were bad...they warp or something...

I too love the N4 but I don't like it when people assume that mine wasn't real Padauk and assume it's a stained model. The neck was stained and that's about it.

Did you build that N4 yourself N4ESA_UK? Looks really nice! I'm liking the gold hardware...Is it the angle of your photo, or is your low E string really far from the edge of the fretboard....or is the action high??? hard to tell

N4 Davies
USA Strat 1977
Mesa Boogie F-50
Roland JC-50

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 07:31:41 AM »
look at it this way...if you went onto a devoted fender forum with a 1970's strat that had a 1990 USA neck and wanted to know how much it was worth...what questions would you expect to be asked???

I never said 'THATS NOT PADAUK' did I [;)]  and i certainly didnt assume anything, we asked the questions that needed to be answered to be clearer on what this guitar is.  
All weve got to go on are 4 photos, youve got the guitar there and you 'know' it better than anyone.

I put that paddy N4 together out of parts.  Its the angle of the photo that makes it look a bit off and it was just after id put it together, before a setup. It plays amazing, better than my swamp ash N4.  Im building another padauk N4 for a friend at the minute.

Offline undergroovelive

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 09:57:30 AM »
I know what you mean....the difference in age between the neck and the body is 6 or 7 years...
Maybe the neck broke??? Maybe the guy dropped it??? Who knows, I just went by what the guy told me...

Congrats once again on building the Padauk, it looks great!

Where are you based? Maybe you could build one for me :)

N4 Davies
USA Strat 1977
Mesa Boogie F-50
Roland JC-50

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 10:43:59 AM »
Youd better get your strat first [:)]  I just rewired a USA strat plus, I really recommend those.  They go for about $600 on ebay, I prefer the gold lace sensors to the other colours though.  

have you posted pics of your davies yet??

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 11:37:49 AM »
how do you identify a strat plus...obviously not a super strat (H-S-S)

(don't mean to pirate this thread either, but I'm curious)
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile