Username: Password:

Author Topic: Who loves the Idol?  (Read 51089 times)

Offline fuzzyfoamrace

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 08:17:46 AM »
These last few idols on ebay in satin from funky monkey is what you should be makin!!! THESE KILL anything in this price from Gibson- Seriously- i am not sayin that idols arent worth 2000-2500 like most custom shop models go for (street price) BUT at that point most will opt for the Gibson. A minor tweak like the one above is cool BUT i agree to many dead copys-

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 09:08:54 AM »
Carvin CS
Dean Soltero
Dean EVO
Cort Zenox
ESP Eclipse
DiPinto Balvedere
First Act Lola
Heritage H137
Jersey Girl
Gretch Jet series
PRS SC
Michael Kelly Patriot
Schecter Solo 6
Hagstrom Swede
Sparrow Rat Rod

all of the above have a Les Paul copy
and most would probably be much cheaper than anything coming out of the Washburn custom shop
and in the USA Washburn price range, most would go for the original
keep the Idol!

a guitar gains a following and a name to itself by being made long term, reshaping the guitar over and over really doesn't help it's
second hand market value or the reputation of the maker.

'07 Washburn N4
'06 Washburn X33
'98 Gibson Les Paul Studio
'08 Washburn WM526
'09 Washburn WI568
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:19:50 AM by shaulin »
'08 Washburn WM526 (White)
'08 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline hansvaneven

• View Profile
    • http://www.hansvaneven.net
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »
This phrase from shaulin is exactly what I think : a guitar gains a following and a name to itself by being made long term, reshaping the guitar over and over really doesn't help it's
second hand market value or the reputation of the maker.

A classic needs years to be become a classic, if you change shapes and models too much people won't have the time to become used to a certain shape. And I think this is a small mistake from Washburn, they change models too often ... I'm sure the Idol shape will be more and more popular if you keep it alive long enough. Hence, the reason why Fender and Gibson don't re-shape most of their models ...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:42:28 AM by hansvaneven »

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 04:37:44 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by WB-Nick

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the feedback and i will bring up your comments when discussing this issue with the boss.

I hope we can hear what the boss said :)

'07 Washburn N4
'06 Washburn X33
'08 Washburn WM526
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline WB-Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 08:58:56 AM »
He'll be here in a couple weeks and i'll let you know how it goes.

thanks,
Nick

Offline Scott C

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 06:17:58 PM »
I agree with what most everyone has already said.

Gibson and Fender = Coke and Pepsi
Washburn = Dr. Pepper

If I want a Les Paul copy, I'd buy an Epiphone (or maybe PRS).  In other words, I don't think changing the shape of the Washburn will increase sales.

Maybe make the cheapo Washburn WI14s, etc. Les Paul copies, but I'd keep the mid- and high range guitars unique.

And like many have said, get Washburns out in the stores that people are shopping at (Guitar Center, etc.)

Best wishes Nick and everyone at Washburn at what is probably a bit of a scary time.  Hope things go well.

Offline fuzzyfoamrace

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 12:27:49 AM »
OK- first research Gibson les paul on ebay. #1 you will NOT find Hannah montana on any gibson.They do not make the gibson name avaialble on bottom end guitars (i realize there is a market for these).I feel the basic problem is you have $2000 custom shop guitars which some arent even aware that exist and you have this low end crap all over ebay for $50 which kills the percieved quality of the brand. If you are an import company then understand you are NEVER going to compete with a american icon like a les paul. I think your custom shop stuff kills gibson BUT for every nice custom shop you put out there are a hundred piece of crap guitars with the washburn name being drug in the mud. Then guys who invested in your custom shop guitars get nothing if they resale because most of the washburns for sale on the internet are the crappy imports.

Epiphone is the import side of gibson as we all know and MOST the time they dont even sell bottom end guitars like washburn does. Your design is good BUT your marketing stinks!!!! I have been very intrigued by this whole new owner thing on this forum and the proposed changes. So much so i have asked EVERY player i know in my area about washburn to judge their reaction. MOST if not all didnt know washburn had a USA custom shop- hows that??? Boogie street always has them on the net you say- Who the hell is boogie street or funky monkey??? I am internet savy (somewhat) but alot of people simply arent or dont search out info like this. I know both online dealers above and have even purchased from one of them , No disrespect is meant , they both are great. I still feel like getting the GOOD stuff out in stores for people to pley is where you start. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT PART- dont charge $2000 street price for a custom shop guitar!!! At least not yet, get some out there and make sure the quality is awesome and watch word of mouth spread. Funky monkey is selling NICE usa custom idols for 1079 YES $1079!!!! I know he is making money and so is washburn so WHY not run with this and get these guitars out to guitar center etc. This guitar for under 1100 has a nice flame top , abalone inlays and hard case. I am POSITIVE at thgis price or one very close to this they would fly off the shelf. These are WAY nicer then any studios which are going for 1300 at guitar center. Thats where washburn should aim- squarely at people who are paying 1200-1300 for a les paul studio.

I have rambled long enough- I think the fact that a good percentage of buyers DONT know about your custom shop guitars or cant play one to feel the quality kills you. Then the fact that Washburns name is on some of the junkiest el cheapo guitars is just another nail in the coffin. I sincerely hope the new owners listen- I also wish them well!!!

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 01:11:26 AM »
I have to agree with fuzzy, Washburn's marketing is bad, dealers can't carry that mission for the company.
seems like only a select few know about the USA custom shop.

low end Washburns should be sold under the Lion brand and only USA made guitar should stay under the Washburn brand name.

I hope the new owner won't go the easy and start making les paul replicas, those won't sell and will only lower the brand's
image.

'07 Washburn N4
'06 Washburn X33
'08 Washburn WM526
'09 Washburn WI568
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:13:16 AM by shaulin »
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline Mr. Bradley

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 10:01:07 PM »
Whoa...hmmm
It would be good to re-design a classic
But I really love the Idol shape.
That's why I gotta Idol! Because it's different.
But how big a difference are you going to make it smaller and narrower?
Would the shape appeal to a different type of audience? Like what the other guys were saying, an audience that is into more Les Paul shaped guitars?
I would personally like that you'd keep the original shape.
Why Hello Mr. Burny!

Offline fuinstrumental

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 09:59:44 PM »
I've been a Washburn owner since i started playing when i bought my Strat copy shadow sieres as a kid.  This is outrageous , I've always loved the Les Paul design. but, Everyone and their grandma owns or plays on a Les Paul.  Why on earth would you want to make the Idol look more like it?  The reason i bought it was that is was similar but not a knock off.  I feel the design is much better looking and its good to see some change. I didn't buy the idol cause it was a Washburn Les Paul. Lets think about it, if i wanted the Les Paul shape and look exactly, Wouldn't i just buy a Les Paul? And forget about Washburn all together? The bottom line is, I supported the idol. For its own look, and because it's a Washburn which ive known and loved.  Please don't change something Beautiful for more profit and business routines.

Offline trippinbilly03

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »
I'm looking to buy a wi66 pro or a wi590. the features seem to be very similar but the wi590 is much more expensive. could ne one tell me what the difference is and recomend which one i should buy?

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 11:24:17 PM »
wrong thread to ask, but the WI66 is an import and the WI590 is USA made

'07 Washburn N4
'06 Washburn X33
'08 Washburn WM526
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline TEXASDAVE

• View Profile
    • http://davidhall5@sbcglobal.net
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 08:27:09 AM »
DON'T CHANGE THE IDOL SHAPE. Leave it alone. I have 4 of them and I'm waiting on my Gold Top to make 5. I buy them for a reason. They are not LP's and IMHO better. The only thing I would suggest is changing the bridge pickup from a Custom Custom to a JB. That is my only complaint about anything Washburn puts out. JMO.......
Livestrong!

Offline EdMan57

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 01:17:31 PM »
One of the main reasons I bought my '07 WI70 Pilsen XL was the price point for a USA built set-neck Les Paul like guitar.For a hair under $1,000 street,I was able to buy an electric guitar that had the best humbucker tones,neck/frets/setup,neck joint and attention to detail than any other guitar that I have ever purchased new.Hey,I love a good Les Paul as much as the next guy,but I would have had to spend close to $3,000 to get a Gibson as good as my Pilsen.And it absolutely stomped all over the more expensive LP Studios that I played before buying my WI70.

I also agree with the others that feel that Washburn should better differentiate between their USA and import lines.

Ed

My current guitar harem includes a USA Washburn WI70 Pilsen XL,USA Washburn MG-120,USA Washburn Laredo LT-92,USA Hamer Studio,'95 American Fender Custom Strat,'06 American Standard Strat,USA Hamer P-90 Special and a Yamaha Pacifica 612v.
My current guitar harem includes a USA Washburn WI70 Pilsen XL,Fender American Standard SE Tele,USA Hamer Studio,Fender American Standard SE Strat,Gibson Les Paul Standard,Fender American Series Strat,USA Hamer P-90 Special,ESP PB-500,Malden Keyser and a Yamaha Pacifica 612v.

Offline SuperRick

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 07:21:03 AM »
Why change a good thing?  The Idol, to me, is like having a 'Super LP'.  Having an LP clone is BORING.  Besides, there are way to many clones already.  Speaking of clones, thats my '82 Burny RLC60.  More a replica than what the current LP wanna-bes are.  Washburn needs to fix its feeble marketing.  That is key.  

Tone Does NOT Come From Your Wallet!!!