Username: Password:

Author Topic: Who loves the Idol?  (Read 51408 times)

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Re: Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2012, 02:22:13 AM »
this thread was opened more than 2 years ago, I wonder how sales of the "Idol" are going...
'08 Washburn WM526 (White)
'08 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »
 :)   Remember, this just makes your original more rare and valuable as time goes on.   Tom.   ;)

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 01, 2012, 12:47:48 PM »
Much as I can't believe I can say this. I sold the idol. It was a -67 Korean. Sweet guitar, but she wasn't getting played and I was looking at starting a new relationship with similarly tobacco stained tele.

Still hope to snag a -68 or better at some point. The new ones hold no appeal for me whatsoever.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370616911223&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123&autorefresh=true   This would of went for more, if I had not bought parts for my bike. I almost bid 150.00 or so to see if I would get lucky.  I love this paint job.  Hope one of you guys got it.  Tom.   :)

Offline John

• View Profile
    • Sky Blue
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
This thread was started in 2009 and by then the Idols were being made in Indonesia.
IMNSHO the end of the Idol was when they stopped making them in Korea.
Not saying that all the Indonesian Idols were bad but they definitely lacked the fit & finish that most the Korean examples had. I bought a Blonde 1999 WI64 in 2000 and fell in love. I've owned most models and my favorite is "Tiger".
"Tiger" is a 2005 Catanese WI66ANC that had a cracked neck. Fixed the neck, leveled the frets, stripped the flamed maple "Evil Twin" logo off, took out the active pups and put in Tonerider Alnico IIs with Standard V/T controls with minor modification to keep tone when turning the Volume pots lower.

Bottom Line: The quality has dropped significantly. Bought a Chinese Trohman WI24 and could not believe how low the quality has gone. Had to do quite a bit of fret work to correct the sharp edges.
Current Idols
05 Catanese WI66ANC both Tonerider Alnico II
99 Blonde WI64 both Pearly Gates
04 Black WI66PRO no Mods
04 Flat Black WI64 copper No Mods
08 Black WI45 - For Sale

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2012, 05:50:13 PM »
I too like Korean guitars, I have a D10TR 98, love it, can not find a flaw on it,   Tom.   :)

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2016, 07:57:35 AM »
and here we are 7 years later, I wonder how things are working for Washburn without the Idol?
any plans to make the smart choice and bring back the Idol?
especially the one that made the model stand up  - the WI68?
with the 68 Washburn was aiming at PRS and Gibson, with the false Idol of 2009 they were aiming at the shallow end of the market.

WB-Nick? are you still here? any updates?
'08 Washburn WM526 (White)
'08 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2016, 08:32:11 AM »
I remember reading they were going to bring back the Idol series.. maybe special run.. not sure what country will manufacturing it. My guess is China.. although the quality of China made has improved a lot, I like my Koren made idol.. it's a WI64.. not the WI66 WI67 or WI68.
88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
96 Bantam XB400 Bttrsctch
97 Maverick BT-4 Tobaccobrst
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
98 Maverick BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline mapdude55

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 06, 2016, 09:45:26 PM »
Well, I ripped the VCC out of my WI66PROF and converted it to J Page wiring with push/pull pots at all four points, using the stock pups, and I must say, it will never leave my herd. The Gibson and the Strat stay in their cases. It is the #1 I reach for every time. Have had every single person who picks it up ask me where they could get one.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 08, 2016, 04:24:20 PM »
For electrics, Washburn presently offers two (three, arguably) styles: shredder, or jazzbox.

Anyone looking for a quality affordable equivalent to the Les Paul -- like 24.75" scale, mahogany neck, maybe capped top -- is SOL.

I'll admit that the VCC scared away a lot of players; this, I suspect, is largely because many players don't like being confronted with anything new, but it's also maybe because I don't see how the VCC could possibly be "one size fits all" for every sort of humbucker pickup. Then again, I own some unusual 1960s guitars (for example: Harmony Rocket, Framus Strato, Silvertone/Danelectro 1450) & greatly enjoy the unusualness, the uiqueness, so I'm prejudiced.

But when someone comes to me asking what used guitar to buy, about the first thing I say is find one that feels great & plays great because anything else can be replaced without major hassle, but a neck & layout that doesn't suit YOU is just gonna be a huge pain & a waste of time/money/effort. Anyone who doesn't like the VCC but understands the general Idol quality is (IMO) paying attention.

I almost bought a cream WI-64, instead lucked onto the WI-66V, & haven't looked back. That minimal top-bout cutaway gives the fancier Idols that rakish hint-of-Tele look that makes it stand out from the Epiphones, & I'd readily match it against their "PRO" series. (And the Washie's headstock is prettier. ;)) Even "lesser" Idols like the 50, 45, 40, or 26 are noting to ignore. And the WI-18 seemed a perfect "SG slayer."

Oxymorons rule, & right up there with "miltary intelligence" is "corporate wisdom." The new owners, rather than capitalizing on the sunk costs of the models they inherited, decided to clean house. Like, they stopped most of the Idols, & came up with "the New Idol" WIN Series which is nothing but a cheap MIC LP clone -- a cost-cutting blunder that's greatly damaged brands like ESP's LTD & PRS's SE series, further diluting value of once-great names. The short-lived "Original Idol" (a.k.a. "Classic Idol") WIDLXWISTD series was a cynical attempt to cash in on the fading Idol cachet without actually committing, using cheaper materials & generic hardware. "Cynical"? Here's an Amazon.com listing:
The Idol has been in the Washburn lineup since the '90s a testiment to its staying power, desirability and status amongst players of all levels. With its bold single cutaway style and dual humbucker layout, the Original Idol provides a stylish alternative to the cookie cutter guitars that litter the musical landscape. When you choose an Original Idol you make a statement that you're not just an ordinary guitar player and you've got something to say.
Another from Sweetwater --
Since the 1990s, Washburn's Idol lineup has been tearing up stages around the world. With the WIDLXSPLTD Original Idol, Washburn gives you a chance to own their first-gen-style solidbody electric guitar in all of its glory. If you're the kind of guitar player who's looking to break the cookie-cutter mold of passe solidbody designs, then it's time to call your Sweetwater Sales Engineer...
Can you imagine Fender deciding to end production of the Strat or Tele or Precision or Jazz? Will Gibson maybe end the LP or SG or 335? Yet time & again some new gaggle of non-guitarists buys the Washburn offices & kills off bankable success in favor of making a quick buck before pawning the brand off on someone else even more clueless.

Look how far traffic has declined on this site in the past five years alone. Seems like half the "members" to sign on since 2011 only hang around long enough to learn they haven't bought some super-valuable axe for $100. ::) Washburn is being forgotten except among the hardcores, & the day when catalogues featured dozens of big-name endorsers seem long past.

Oh, there's an upside: why should I even think about buying a NEW Washburn electric when there's so many great used ones drifting past, their asking price generally depressed by the brand's protracted suicide? The Idol series managed to provide just about anything from a good beginner guitar to some serious limited-run glory, & should have been a long-lived gem for the brand.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/