Username: Password:

Author Topic: Who loves the Idol?  (Read 75021 times)

Offline redheadrocker21

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »
Not sure if I understand the question properly but, yes. According to Nick, there will be a new shape introduced at NAMM. Nick is a moderator here and a Washburn guy who knows the facts on this.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Washburn JM300S (Score!)
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy
[/quote]

Hopefull its as good as the other Idol models. and Yes, your answered my question correctly [:)]
the thirteen year old american rocking kid

Offline jeffy

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »
I bought my WI64 because 1)It's the most comfortable guitar I've ever owned 2)I love the neck profile and especially the fret end finish 3)It covers LP territory without being another wannabe. It's a far sexier silhouette than any Les paul,and much lighter.
 I agree with all the comments about Washburn's marketing,and I just don't see Washburns in stores.(And I go in every one I see!LOL) You need to work on your dealer network before you go changing your product. I also believe the Lyon brand breaking point should be right around the 64 (it's now the 45 series?) I think making Washburn USA models-only would mean creating a whole new brand for Lyon and would be a whole lot more work than necessary,and could end up starving both brands. Personally,I don't want a Lyon anything,and can't afford a USA Washburn. Please don't shut me out!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:33:20 PM by jeffy »

Offline T-Bone

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2010, 02:27:27 AM »
Change is not always a good thing.  To mess with the looks of the Idol would be a big mistake, IMO.  I don't see how it could be improved.  They are absolutely beautiful guitars and look so much better than LP's!  I fell in love with the Idol series the moment I first saw them!  Like others have said, the issue seems to be more with the lack of advertisement.  I go to Guitar Center a lot and I would love to see Washburn's sold there.  In fact, I would be telling everyone in there how great the Idols are! :)

Offline redheadrocker21

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2010, 06:22:52 AM »
I agree completely with T-bone. Anyone could get a Washburn as a nice beginner guitar, anyone could get the Idol instead of a Gibson LP. Better guitar, better looks, and better sound.
the thirteen year old american rocking kid

Offline seether

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2010, 04:41:22 PM »
First of all
Hello
and now to say what i came to say after reading through this topic..

You say you want to sell more guitars and that Idol shape didn't sit too well on the guitarist all around ... ok let's go through that

As you can see everyone freaking loves the Idol and not because we are byass but because it's freaking amazing guitar , sound like , shape like and any other way like .

Second I agree with everyone who said that you need to market your guitars better and more (not only Idol , but all) ..

You see , i live in Croatia which is a beautiful country but the people are kinda dumb guitar wise , i have two Washburn guitars wi45 tobacco sunburst and x200pro trans red , and the dumb rednecks hardly or never heard of washburn brand , it doesn't matter to them when we jam and the sound blows them away,  they will rather hang from their balls than admit it's a better sounding , excellent balanced , freaking beautiful guitar then their lp's , and lp's look a like..

On we go , to me it seems you will lose more customers not only future customers but current customers as well, why ?? because i like the Idol series just the way it is , wouldn't change a thing on it , and don't want the next washburn i buy to be a replica of lp's or any other's , because i wont buy it then ,  i can get those at every corner , and how will you lose future customers - not a brainer , you will change the shape -which will seem to people like something was wrong with the original shape -and that can't be further from the truth, not market it and drift to some grayish area of clones and drones and after that you will discontinue it on excuse it did sit too well....

I disagree with some that said that washburn should market usa made  different from the imported , why ?? again gibson does it so should we , what a load of crap , who cares if gibson doesn't let hana montana who ever that is ( i know who she is but i rather wouldn't wanna know , eh well ) print her name on the guitar , it's a childs guitar , how it should be marketed , simply usa made cost more coz of the labour ( but wrapped up nicely ) , because ain't that the truth ? or do people think that the workers in indonesia doesn't know how to built guitars ?? that too is a load of crap. If their making the guitars by the specs washburn gave them and the wood is supplied and everything else then what are we talking about . Both guitars i have are indonesian made and didn't have any flaws in them , non at all !!!!  Anyways like tone pros bridge or shaller tuners will help your playing (again nothing is wrong with stock washburn gear -  can't emphasis that more ), if you think so then that's sad , my ears start to bleed when i hear i have tone pros i have this , and that , Crap to it's fullest extent ,  i heard a lot of players play 80 $ 100 $ guitars that will make you cry of the sweet sound they make.

I maybe got side tracked on that last paragraph but i'm tired of hearing crap like that.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:24:48 AM by seether »

Offline CivoLee

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/peroxidebase
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »
It's not just Hanna Montana.  eBay is chock full of cheap Idols with other Disney characters, fast food chain logos, and the like on them.  On one hand it could plant a seed in kids' minds, but in the mean time, it only devalues the guitar in the eyes of the serious guitarists of today.

Seeing as this topic has been going pretty strong with responders from around the forum (i.e. not just the same posters all the time), are you guys sure you wanna go through with this?  I haven't seen any posts agreeing with the decision to change the Idol.  If the response is so negative in the forum, just imagine how bad it could be in the real world.

I will withold (sp?) judgement until the design is revealed.  But if I'm not into it...I just have this thing about playing guitars that aren't current, and supposely Ibanez is bringing the Darkstone to America for a full release...

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2010, 03:23:50 AM »
I understand that Washburn are going to make both models and let the buyers decide

as for the design, from what was mentioned here (longer and narrower body) , I think it's going look like a cross
between the Idol and a PRS SC. and probably some other twist on the design, like a deep carve on the top, reavel
binding, maybe even the headstock Washburn uses on the Vs to make it more appealing to PRS buyers.

'07 Washburn N4
'06 Washburn X33
'98 Gibson Les Paul Studio
'08 Washburn WM526 (White)
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'08 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline CivoLee

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/peroxidebase
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2010, 10:19:26 AM »
So it'll be the Idol II or something?

Well I guess if they're still going to make the original design, then it's not so bad.  But honestly, I can't see the new design really going anywhere because it'd just be yet another improved Les Paul, and there's plenty of choices in the department already.

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2010, 12:06:09 PM »
I think they're going to sell both for a length of time and then keep only the one that sells better.

Making a LP replica is only one thing that Jam are doing wrong, stopping production on standard USA models
is worse.

'07 Washburn N4
'06 Washburn X33
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
yes, and Washburn is diluting its OWN pool by offering the beloved Idol,  the pretty cool Preacher, and now adding a third LP Clone???

No doubt, coming out of Chicago, it'll be a beautiful guitar. I suppose it COULD be that for that customer that HAS to have an LP, they could get a comparable guality axe as an LP standard for say 70% the price, or $1800.00. This is STILL dependent upon A) placement in stores and B) knowledgable sales staff showing a buyer that this guitar is super high quality.

I was in a Guitar Center in Chicago last week. I looked at $2000.00 Gibsons and was amazed at the poor quality. The joints and the finish just didn't show the value I expected. This shop had an N4 for sale in it's used area. The Asst Store manager DID NOT KNOW it was an american made guitar, 40 miles from where he was standing. It was hanging on the wall, dusty and out of tune. If that is representative of the sales force/sales pitch,folks, it doesn't matter how good your product is.

Let's say dude walks in with 5K on his gold card. He wants to buy an LP. The informed sales guys sets him up with an amp, sits him down and hands him the Gibson. After 15 minutes he says, Dude, man, before you drop that cash, check this out.....and hands him and Idol, or an LP clone, tells him to LOOK at the guitar, stand up with a strap....play the damn thing. Tells him it was made in the US by a dude who learned how to make guitars in the Gibson plant, filing headstocks with a rasp file....and now is making guitars himself...only better.... and guess what, half the price, better guitar...

Ok Ok, maybe this is idealistic, but that pitch would make me think. It'll never happen though, unless the guys in the stores know the story.

Sorry, the sales guy in me would love to have a go at all the poor schmucks dropping big coin on those other guitars.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline alpheus94

• View Profile
    • http://rnamusiconline.com
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »
SOOOOOOOOO......... Keeping the old shape or not? If not why the heck did you not listen to us.
Owner of RNA MUSIC.

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2010, 03:45:37 AM »
the new owners obviously don't know much about design or marketing.
Washburn has entered the generic market, the company has been set back 10 years.

and the new additions to the X series, even worse.

'07 Washburn N4
'06 Washburn X33
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2010, 04:00:19 AM »

What do you want to do tomorrow?

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2010, 04:03:03 AM »
looks like an epiphone road kill

'07 Washburn N4
'06 Washburn X33
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline TEXASDAVE

• View Profile
    • http://davidhall5@sbcglobal.net
Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2010, 06:12:08 AM »
If this is the direction that the Idol is going, once I get my Gold Top finished and in my hands, it will be my last Washburn purchase. Don't change something that no one is going to see. MARKET THE ONE YOU ALREADY HAVE!!!!!!!
Livestrong!