Username: Password:

Author Topic: Who loves the Idol?  (Read 70686 times)

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Re: Who loves the Idol?
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »
Let's be honest, once Rudy Schlacher sold the company it was obvious things are
going to change, I hoped for the best, looks like we got the worst.

I own 4 Idols, lucky I managed to catch one of the stripped down bodies they sold
on ebay, a nice WI590 which needs a lot of work, but it's gonna feel like a brand new
USA idol once I'm done with it.

as for Washburn, right now they sell nothing that I want to buy, I hope the company will
return into making exciting new instruments in the future.
'08 Washburn WM526 (White)
'08 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline High Hopes

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »
I own an Idol WI66V and I love it... beautiful, well made guitar. Recently, I purchased a WIN-STD Idol on eBay... oh boy... what an utter piece of Chinese junk... By far the worst guitar in my collection... Actually, I also own an Agile Les Paul copy that puts this new Idol to shame...
I will of course sell the new Idol as it really does not deliver even for the price... It's a crying shame that Washburn decided to lower it's standards so low... This new Idol is a toy basically... Not even good enough for intermediate players.
Save your money, this guitar is just not worth it..

Offline Paul5992

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »
I own an Idol WI66V and I love it... beautiful, well made guitar. Recently, I purchased a WIN-STD Idol on eBay... oh boy... what an utter piece of Chinese junk... By far the worst guitar in my collection... Actually, I also own an Agile Les Paul copy that puts this new Idol to shame...
I will of course sell the new Idol as it really does not deliver even for the price... It's a crying shame that Washburn decided to lower it's standards so low... This new Idol is a toy basically... Not even good enough for intermediate players.

I got my win-pro yesterday and it was a very nice guitar. Except for fedex cracking the neck on it. I will get a replacement next week. I did manage to tune it down and play with it a little before i packed it back up. It sounded very rich and warm. Its to bad the win-pro is discontinued  already. I might upgrade the pickups to something active  in the future but for now the guitar is worth every cent. The grover 18 to 1 tuners  nice. I can't wait for my replacement to come
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:40:47 PM by Paul5992 »

Offline High Hopes

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »

I got my win-pro yesterday and it was a very nice guitar. Except for fedex cracking the neck on it. I will get a replacement next week. I did manage to tune it down and play with it a little before i packed it back up. It sounded very rich and warm. Its to bad the win-pro is discontinued  already. I might upgrade the pickups to something active  in the future but for now the guitar is worth every sent. The grover 18 to 1 tuners  nice. I can't wait for my replacement to come

Why do you quote my opinion of a WIN-SDT to your WIN-PRO???
Does it even matter? Anyway, enjoy every "sent" of your new Washburn... ;)

Offline Paul5992

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2012, 01:44:11 PM »
Because your another wi idol original only snob. And I'm sick of it. Dick!!!!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:34:43 PM by Paul5992 »

Offline Evil D

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2012, 11:44:20 AM »
so what are the differences between the Win Idols and the old idols besides the body shape?  I can see where many potential buyers would be more attracted to a traditional Les Paul body shape, but if the did this and lowered quality as well without lowering price... well that would not help the cause.  I admit I have been out of the loop for some years with my new family.  Are they all made in china now, or are the higher end imports made in Indonesia?  I like my Pilsen but wouldn't be detered by the new WIN Idols as long as the quality and tone are still there.

Offline Paul5992

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2012, 01:25:23 PM »
Evil d, you won't get an unbiased opinion in here. For these guys there is only one idol. There is no room for change in this forum.

Offline Evil D

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
After reading a few topics it would appear most of the unhappiness is the fact that Washburn quit offering a higher end import idols.  I am sure your Idol WINpro serves your needs well, much like the older Idols of the same price point would have.  But for more players who need, want, or demand more, Washburn's Idol line currently falls far too short

Offline alpheus94

• View Profile
    • http://rnamusiconline.com
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2012, 03:26:37 PM »
Not all change is good. ;)

Owner of RNA MUSIC.

Offline alpheus94

• View Profile
    • http://rnamusiconline.com
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2012, 03:34:48 PM »
First it was a slap in the face to all the guys who loved and owned the Original Idols to release another body shape with the same name as what we already owned. Classic marketing failure, of which Washburn struggles with. It would have been a bit nicer if they would have called it something else. As well as continue to offer the original in it's original form and quality like the Korean WI66pro.

What if Gibson released a guitar called "The Explorer" that did not look like the old explorer that all us explorer owners have and love............AND decided to discontinue the 1st Explorer shape? Not only that, they also cut back on the quality of the components to make them more affordable?You don't think there would be backlash? Or Fender killing the Strat.....and offering a different shaped guitar, and calling it a strat?
Owner of RNA MUSIC.

Offline Paul5992

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »
I understand. I think alot of the problems with companies nowadays is a very week economy and stores like walmart selling cheap Chinese made crap. And everyone  shops there. To save what little money they have. It sucks but that's what happens in a rececian. The whole old idol shape verses the new thing does suck if you like the old shape.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:31:14 PM by Paul5992 »

Offline Paul5992

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »
I got my new win-pro today. It is perfect. It sounds great. Very bright and when you need it very mellow and bluesy. I'm very happy.

Offline scifiguy

• View Profile
    • http://www.marygoesroundkc.com
PLEASE bring back the P2 (P4!
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
PLEASE?
Best guitars Washburn ever made...
 :)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »
I recently got a WI568 and it's one of the best guitars I've ever played. I played Original M-1 ESP, Schon, Jackson, charvel.. (customs) If this guitar was changed, it is a shame. I love this axe ! Joe Bonamassa would love this guitar ! It's better playing than a les paul !

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2012, 05:24:08 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  The problem is that the Idol doesn't appeal to most people.  There are some, like yourselves, that love it, but most people will buy an LP shaped guitar over the Idol.  This is what the new owner is looking at.  Yes, he wants to change the design and sell more guitars.

This isn't the case for anyone I have shown my WI-568 too! Problem is... that the guitar makers have hype-marketed junk guitars for so long, that people don't know the value of a real instrument when they see one. People think you can buy a guitar like their favorite pro musician plays for 600 dollars... so when they see a price tag that starts about 1000 dollars out (3000 for the one their guitar hero plays), they shortcut and buy the cheaper one. Then they hit all the frustration of trying to learn on a "Walmart" manufacturing job and quickly give up on playing.. so then NO guitar companies get to sell them an instrument anymore because most quit trying to learn to play all together. It would seem most have cursed their own business by selling lower quality instruments for more profit and have lost the ability to sell high quality ones because now people think they are being ripped off if they spend that much.