Username: Password:

Author Topic: Upgrades on WI14 guitars  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Tupu

• View Profile
Upgrades on WI14 guitars
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:47:09 AM »
Hi all, I have just registered so greetings to everyone. I have a very basic Chinese WI14 and I plan to change the pickups. Is this guitar worth upgrading? I am satisfied with its playability and other features but the stock pickups are quite weak. Please share your opinion with me. Thx!

Offline jeffy

• View Profile
Upgrades on WI14 guitars
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 08:41:19 PM »
If you're happy with the feel and playability of the guitar,then by all means,upgrade the electronics.
That can be a great alternative when you can't afford or can't justify the cost of a higher level instrument. I absolutely love my WI64 Idol,but after playing it for a couple years,I installed an RS guitarworks upgrade kit (pots,switch,caps) and a set of GFS '59 alnico humbuckers.I couldn't be happier,and it's a guitar I'll never part with. If or when the day comes to get a better instrument,you have an  extra selling point,or a solid backup if you don't sell it.

Offline LaieLad

• View Profile
Upgrades on WI14 guitars
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
Anyone have suggestions for upgrade in setup for a WI14?  I love the neck, and I get a great bluesy and crisp tone from it, but I think I do not like the nut.  I was going to notch it down some more to get the strings closer to the fretboard, but it feels like plastic and I am wondering about changing it out.  Anyone experimented with changing the nut on a WI14?  What about adjusting the pickups--raising or lowering?  Any other suggestions?

Randal W. Allred
Laie Lad

Offline moguitar7

• View Profile
Upgrades on WI14 guitars
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »
I got a cheapo 2nd WI14 off ebay, in lieu of getting an Epi LP Special for more $$.   I had to move the bridge, neck pu ring, replaced the tuners w/19-1 Imperials from Guitarheads and the nut with a Graphtech, plus shimmed (and white glued) the neck up with a credit card.  The pickups and electronics are great, nice neck, and now is a great little guitar for rocking out!![:D][8D]
sun come shining over the mountain!!!