Username: Password:

Author Topic: Problem with pickup(?)  (Read 1719 times)

Offline istrice

• View Profile
Problem with pickup(?)
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:16:20 AM »
Hello fellow D10 players.

After having my old acoustic guitar stolen, a few days ago I bought a D10SCE to replace it. I've been playing it ever since, and am really satisfied with the way it sounds and feels. Unplugged, that is, because unfortunately I can't get the pickup to work. I have tried plugging it into an amplifier as well as the Direct Input of my home studio, but all I can seem to get out of it is a loud hum/buzz, as if the jack cable wasn't plugged in. The buzzing gets louder when I touch the XLR-output.

My guitar didn't come with a manual, so I have no clue at all what the problem might be. I suspect that it might be a loose connection or something like that.

I'm still using the battery that came with the guitar, since I haven't had the time to buy new ones, and the LED on the guitar indicates low battery. Could this be the problem? I'm sorry if this question seems a bit stupid, but it is my understanding that the guitar was capable of playing plugged-in with no battery at all.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Lasse Skou Andersen, Denmark

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
Problem with pickup(?)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 01:17:32 PM »
Put a new battery first, by all means!  There is a good chance this will cure your problems.  A battery is essential for the amp to work correctly, not just the tuner.  You will drain the battery if you leave it plugged in to a system.  Also, the system is designed to go silent when you turn on the tuner while connected to an audio system.  In theory, this allows you to tune without anyone else hearing it.  In reality, it makes a fairly loud hum sound when tuning while connected to an amp (or system).

Mark

-------------------
Washburn W240
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
Washburn C10N Classical
Sivertone Model 319
Ibanez DCL St.Chorus 1985
Rocktron Compressor
DiMarzio Acoustic Pickup
Peavey Backstage Amp
Lots of Smiles ;)
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline nonplused

• View Profile
Problem with pickup(?)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 06:00:03 PM »
I had the following symptoms with my daughter’s D10 (WP-92 I think):

Green light blinks
L.B (Low battery light) not on
No response from tuner
No signal when plugged into amp and tuner off.  (Although I could adjust the volume of the hiss using the WP-92)

After much head scratching I decided to loosen off/undo strings until I could get my hand inside the sound hole.  I unplugged the pick up (it turns out to plug into the tuner using a very small diameter jack, around the size of a phone jack).  I tested the jack with an ohm meter and there was something connected to it.  I then plugged it back in, making sure it was solidly in as far as it would go.  Restring the guitar and vola!  Everything worked.

This guitar was brand new out of the box (Christmas present).