Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bird's eye maple even washburn can't peg  (Read 11855 times)

Offline Remnant

• View Profile
Bird's eye maple even washburn can't peg
« on: November 12, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »
Hey all- I recently purchased this bad boy from a guitar dealer who had no idea what it was. He had it in warehouse from a previous owner, and no real record of how they got it. In fact, it has a mysterious past as somehow no one managed to inventory it for years, and one day they put it on the floor just to see if anyone was interested in it. I saw it and had to have it.

Anyway, I contacted washburn with pictures and serial number and all that and even they couldn't peg it. They said most likely 1988 ea-40 woodstock, but there are a ton of things about it that don't match that reasoning.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out its history. Maybe someone else has a bad boy like this?

Here are some images- she's a beaut.

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
I can't really help you myself, unless me telling you it's a beauty helps. I like it a bunch. Maybe gtracer will happen upon your thread, he seems to be the go-to guy with the Festival series guitars. Did I mention it's a beauty? Welcome to the forum.

Whenever you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however  improbable, must be the Truth .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S
Washburn WD114S
Washburn J4
Martin 00-15
Trinity College Bouzouki
Takamine EG523SC-12
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Fender FV-3
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD

Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:21:03 PM »
Beautiful guitar its a EA-40 Woodstock ( made from 79-91), the electronics were first made in 87 they went from knobs to sliders and the Birds eye maple back and sides were also around then as an option, nicely aged spruce top.Great looking guitar, just curious as to what Washburn couldn't tell you about it, as for value I would probably say $450-600 in todays market ( might be lower but because of the birds eye,I went to the high side ).Ship
Here is an older post re the EA-40 Woodstock a cousin of your guitar.
http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12962&SearchTerms=EA-40,Woodstock
Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW
D-78SW
D-68SW
DM2000S Millenium limited edition
and other great sounding and playing guitars
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 03:35:13 PM by ship of fools »
Retired Musician, Numismatic,
Retired and living the good life
and trying to learn even more about old parlors

Offline bookman

• View Profile
    • http://aroundtheblock.us
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 03:37:19 PM »
Remnant....wow...what a beauty!!
Wish I had it...

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »
Can't help you with any more info.  I suspect Ships insights are pretty much spot on.  In any case, welcome to the forum.  Beautiful looking festival.  [:)][:)]

Offline Remnant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 06:30:45 PM »
Thanks a ton guys-

She sounds fantastic. And for some reason has fantastic action but without losing any resonance. Perfect guitar for playing acoustic floyd or even some bluesy Gregg Allman stuff.

Since the guy had no record I was able to convince him to go down from $600 to $400 on it, and washburn quoted it at value of $1000 because of the custom elements but mainly the birds eye which they said is very rare on the woodstock series of guitars.

As far as what washburn couldn't tell me- basically they could only tell me it was LIKE the 88 woodstock EA-40. Unfortunately that wasn't made with this wood type or particular pickup. They did use an eq300 on some, BUT those were on the top curve of the guitar, not the bottom curve like on this one.

One guess was that it was one of the custom made's jimmy page had made when he was playing the woodstock, but if it is it's not worn at all so it was either a gift to someone else or it didn't meet spec somehow. I also am pretty sure that's BS because it has a pretty regular pickup in there.

I also have an ovation celebrity, USA made, that I never play anymore thanks to this bad boy. You can't tell, but the finish is tremendous on this. I have seen a lot of washburn's and usually while well crafted, there are minor flaws like scuffy feel around the seals or slight twists on the keys. But the finish on this is flawless. Not a scratch, scuff or smudge anywhere. Its smooth the whole body over.

Offline Remnant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 06:40:49 PM »
quoting from the ea-40 link you put here:

By 1990, Equis II electronics were being used. This model had
birdseye maple back/sides with Natural finish as an option.

so it could be 1990 BUT it has the wrong pickup for that. So yeah, maybe it was a prototype using the birdseye. Which would make it impossibly rare.

Value in dollars doesn't really matter to me as I plan on keeping it for a good long while. My Les Paul is starring at me jealously but I keep trying to tell it just as soon as I get my Guitar Rig 4 - Kontrol, I will go back to giving it the love it deserves. But my Wash is so much fun to play I've been dragging my feet. And don't tell my les paul but I might just have to trade her in for a black on black strat thanks to my current Gilmour obsession.

Anyway, thanks for all the help on this!

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 09:40:03 PM »
quote:
Value in dollars doesn't really matter to me as I plan on keeping it for a good long while.
Way to go Remnant, I've got a couple like that...

Offline gtracer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 09:43:21 PM »
Welcome Remnant!  Nice guitar, but probably not a prototype.  Ship was pretty much spot on.  It appears to be an 1989-90 EA-40.  

It could also be an EA-30, but I've never seen one with your combination of a spruce top, with birdseye back and sides.  It was listed as a option, but all of the natual EA-30's I've seen came with flame maple, not birdseye.  

The good news is that you should be able to quickly tell if it's an EA-40 or an EA-30.  

Check and see if the top is solid (40) or laminated (30).  My guess is solid.  

Additionally, there should be a serial #, possibly 2.  The main one should be towards the base of the neck. 8XXXX or 9XXXX for the 40, and 89XXXX or 1989XXXXXX for the 30.  If it's an EA-40 it might also have a 2 or 3 digit number on the forward bracing for the top.

Also, EA-40's had a rosewood headstock cap, which it looks like yours has.

Check and see what you can find, and let us know.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 06:54:38 PM by gtracer »
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE FESTIVAL GUILD

Offline Remnant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 08:49:26 AM »
thanks again for the new info.

here is what washburn has said:

The EA40 was available from 1987 to 1994,  and had an original list price of $1000.
_______________________-

Also, the serial number is 81558 . That number is problematic because it doesn't indicate a date (81 isn't 1981 I was told - the serial numbers got messed up for a few years).

It is solid not laminate. Also, there is no number on the forward bracing.

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 09:49:23 AM »
Boy did they ever blow it, who ever you spoke with at Washburn we have seen other EA-40's that were made before 87 and the blue book and others have them being made from 79 onwards.
With that serial number it means it was built in 1988 and we did see a EA-30 with Birds eye Maple but it looks as if I am at a loss for what happened to that picture, that top was a lam top but yours is a solid spruce top, and while I remember the electronics from some of the earlier EA's did have theirs placed in the middle instead of the top of the bout.She is a looker thats for sure and at a steal of a price, you can't go wrong with that.Ship

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW
D-78SW
D-68SW
DM2000S Millenium limited edition
and other great sounding and playing guitars
Retired Musician, Numismatic,
Retired and living the good life
and trying to learn even more about old parlors

Offline gtracer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »
Based on the solid top and serial #, I'm pretty sure it's an EA-40.  I've seen 2 other EA-40's with serial numbers that start with 8XXXX.  One was a special edition with quilt maple, and the other was just like yours.  They both also had the same EQ-300 mounted in the same place.

Ship, I agree with you.  EA-40 labeling in Festivals definetly showed up in 1984 (price list), but those guitars were still versions of the early Woodstocks.  I believe that when the Monterey and Tanglewood (both solid tops) were dropped from the top of the line in 1986-7, they were replaced with the solid top EA-40, similar to what Remnant scored.  The EA-20 and EA-30 (both laminated tops) replaced the bottom of the line Woodstock (previous EA-40).  

Isn't all of this fun!  I really need to get a new hobby....

Offline Skipjack1965

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 07:18:27 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by gtracer

Based on the solid top and serial #, I'm pretty sure it's an EA-40.  I've seen 2 other EA-40's with serial numbers that start with 8XXXX.  One was a special edition with quilt maple, and the other was just like yours.  They both also had the same EQ-300 mounted in the same place.

Ship, I agree with you.  EA-40 labeling in Festivals definetly showed up in 1984 (price list), but those guitars were still versions of the early Woodstocks.  I believe that when the Monterey and Tanglewood (both solid tops) were dropped from the top of the line in 1986-7, they were replaced with the solid top EA-40, similar to what Remnant scored.  The EA-20 and EA-30 (both laminated tops) replaced the bottom of the line Woodstock (previous EA-40).  

Isn't all of this fun!  I really need to get a new hobby....

Procrastinate now

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 07:46:52 AM »
I had an EA20 for a short while that had the maple back and sides, with solid spruce top. It was made in the early 2000's, and had the Equis Chorus preamp.

Offline Fngrpkr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 05:34:40 PM »
I don't know if you're still around, but I was looking for info about my Washburn and found your post.  Your Washburn seems to be the same as the one I have.  Now I am curiouser and curiouser.