Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn D-24  (Read 13550 times)

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Washburn D-24
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 06:49:49 PM »
quote:
it sure would be nice if Washburn would let us know when they switched from factories.
Why? They probably don't even know. It's a very nice guitar, a real decent player worth a couple hundred bucks tops, not a museum piece or anything. Made to be Played is Guild's motto, seems applicable to your D24 too JA.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
Washburn D-24
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 11:24:49 PM »
serial on my D-60S is 106069
I purchased it from the original owner, and held his receipt in my hands dated 4/82.

My info from back in the day was that the Yamaki acoustics were made for Washburn from around '77 to '86. I'll have to dig around a bit to generate that info for you, but it was stirred up from a couple unrelated sources. Nothings for sure though.

Here's a thread from when I picked it up this summer...

http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15936

And another thread from earlier indicating late seventies vintage....

http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7758

I agree with Pike that these are for playing. While it's a rare bird and a steal for a solid wood guitar...fact is it's an instrument, and I'm seeing to it it gets played all the time.

Enjoy that D-24, looks like a great guitar!

Cheers!
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Washburn D-24
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 12:19:09 AM »
Then yours is an '81 Kimo.

ship of fools

Washburn D-24
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 08:25:28 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by luvmyshiner

Welcome aboard Bundy.  Sweet looking guit you have there brother.

I'm going to have to go with Pike on the identification of your WD125 as a non-Yamaki build though.  

Whoops I think you meant to say D-24, as for why it would be nice to find the accurate dated for Yamaki's, just because.
I know a while back when we were discussing Yamaki's at another site  we were trying to figure out when Yamaki was building for Washburn and one site suggested that it was mid 80's -low 90's and mow we see that they were actually earlier then I thought.
It just doesn't make sense though because my Yamaki has a 5 digit serial number and yet is a 89 and I was also wondering Tio does yours also have the wood plate inside.
And yes maybe Yamaki didn't have an actual hand in the D-24, but the similarities are pretty remarkable to say the least and then it begs to ask if it's not a Yamaki then were some of the left over stock sent on to the next factory to be built as another  model.Ship inquiring minds want to know.Ship

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW
D-78SW
D-68SW
DM2000S Millenium limited edition
and other great sounding and playing guitars
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:54:59 AM by ship of fools »

ship of fools

Washburn D-24
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 09:15:45 AM »
Well I just read through the older posts you had Tio and it strikes me funny that the serial numers don't line up, it sure would be nice if I could find something that would indicate when they should be in what year.As you can see here on mine there is a 5 digit number

So it makes me wonder how one really goes about dating these older models and does that mean mine is even older then I thought it was.
Its to bad we can't get all of these great minds here and come up with something that makes sense to us all in terms of dating these older Washburns( like Beckmen,Yamaki's and so forth ) and then having Nick make it a sticky so we always have a refrence point.Yes its nice to have thoses few who know more about the older and newer models,but it would also be great to have arefrence point in here for when they aren't available.Ship

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
D-78SW
D-68SW

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Washburn D-24
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 10:30:17 AM »
Sure, lets all of us who have Washburn info take the months, years, or longer that it would take to get us all together to sift through, organize, cross reference to each other and also to existing published information, catalogs, articles, brochures, photos, etc., and then compile all of the info into readable pdf's for everyone to
view. Chances are that's not gonna happen...

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Washburn D-24
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 10:49:40 AM »
quote:
Whatdoya say Pike?
Yep, I'm with you Shiner... let's play these things! Wooden boxes with strings, it's all about the music, right Bro?...[8D]

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
Washburn D-24
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 04:06:32 PM »
Ship, I totally understand your frustration. I went through a similar process a few months back with the HB-35's. Tried to get a consensus from people with different perspectives....and ultimately, only thing certain is....nothing is certain. Ultimately, I love my guitars, pretty confident of their origin, and that's gonna have to do.

NOW, if I had been misled, drop a grand on a box that turned out to be something other than advertised, I'd be pissed. That's what got me started on the HB thread, seeing them on ebay listed as Matsumoku's when there is nothing out there that supports that.

here's that thread if you've got some time to kill....it delves into the general relationship between uncle mat, yamaki, japan and korea, and few other tangents thrown in.

http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16184

whatever you do, just don't let the damn things collect dust.
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline bundyrum

• View Profile
Washburn D-24
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 03:45:19 AM »
You talk sbout Yamaki having 5 digit serial numbers...this one has 6...843871....still a Yamaki ???
JA Evans

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
Washburn D-24
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 06:21:11 AM »
Hi JA,
I think the consensus here is that it's not a Yamaki.

That said, my '81 has a 6 digit serial.

Unfortunately, conclusive factual info simply doesn't exist. We got a bunch of guys, comparing notes, sales flyers, receipts, dusty memories, magazine articles, repair/build quality discovery....cobbling together a FAIRLY reliable record of what was made when and where. Sometimes its pretty clear, sometimes not.

She's beautiful and she plays. No doubt she's worth what you paid. enjoy!
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
Washburn D-24
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 11:16:15 AM »
dusty memories

That part seems to fit me pretty well.

Offline bundyrum

• View Profile
Washburn D-24
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »
If not a Yamaki Then what ?? You reckon it is still Japanese made ?
JA Evans

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Washburn D-24
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 03:00:04 PM »
Could be Korea...

ship of fools

Washburn D-24
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 09:18:55 AM »
Hey Tio this is the information I got from Jim, hope it helps those out who want it.

Unfortunately, the serial number on a Washburn acoustic built before 1993 is not always an accurate way of determining the year of manufacture.  
The first thing I look for is headstock style: (this excludes the Festival Series and the Beckmen Era Washburns)

If the instrument has a Martin style headstock....it was made sometime between late 1976 and 1983-84.

If the instrument has a V style headstock......it was made sometime between late 1982 and 2009.
( There is an over lapping period  from 1982 to 1984 when the transition from Martin style to V style took place....so you may find a model from that period {82-84} with both style headstocks.)
a note: According to Jam Industries, the V style headstock will be discontinued in 2010 on all Washburn acoustic models.

Yamaki (like other Japanese and Korean builders) were in the habit of subbing a lot of their work out to lesser known builders to keep up with demand.  Thus the disparity amoung serial numbers on Yamaki products built for export and built for Washburn.

Your D-68SW (V) headstock was probably built in 1989.  (All D-68s were made between 1984 and 1993)
Tio's D-60S (Martin) headstock was probably built in 1981. (I'm assuming Tio's has a Martin style headstock)

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
D-78SW
D-68SW

Offline bundyrum

• View Profile
Washburn D-24
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 04:35:04 AM »
Hey guys, thanks heaps for your input...don't know that I am any the wiser. Not to worry. Will keep a lookout for any further input...in the meantime....have a great Xmas and a Happy New Year from Australia and if you get the chance then grab a tot of Bundyrum !!! Merry Xmas all.
JA Evans