Username: Password:

Author Topic: what year?  (Read 9627 times)

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »
I would love to be able to play the Dobro, don't know anyone who plays local and never seen one in any of the shops.
I'm a flat picker who plays Mandolin/mandola/tenor banjo/and I give a solid rhythm on Guitar.
for you guys that do play Dobro do ya think I could learn without be thought?
I could get some stuff on line I guess.  I think Scott said he has..so that maybe a help..also I play mostly by ear.
 But I don't know if I would really want to buy one, if I didn't think I had a chance top learn the darn thing.

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
what year?
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 12:28:03 PM »
Drum circles, yep. LOL.

Anytime bud. Ahahaha. Just go grab a rifle from the umbrella stand.. LOL. Please don't tell me you drive a Chevy, then that would make you the redneck KING. LOL

The small, but mighty collection:
Washburn N2, Barracuda Strat Copy, Art & Lutherie Acoustic, Greg Bennet D-5 Acoustic,Rover RM-50B Mandolin

If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it. -Jack Johnson
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:28:30 PM by Junior88 »

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 12:46:17 PM »
quote:
all you rednecks across the rockies I suppose would like the Banjo

Darn, I'm a redneck also.[i like the banjo]..thats funny a Newfie redneck..imagine the jokes...LMAO

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 01:33:28 PM »

no Junior, no Chevy here...I drive a '77 Dodge Power Wagon. Not much better, hunh? hahahaha!!!

hey magoo, dobro is do-able. There's a website called the Reso Hangout of which I hang on quite a bit. There's a whole pile of resources on that thing including where to get one, what's junk, etc,etc,etc.

If you should have ANY questions about these things, dobro is a very small community and I'm here for ya buddy. Just ask away...it's not impossible, just weird.
No matter how much your guitar cost, if you suck, you suck.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 01:38:32 PM »
Thanks Roaster, I'm gonna give it a look.

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
what year?
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 01:55:37 PM »
Naw man, dodge trucks are THE best. The fact that its a big old Power Wagon, not helpin ya much [;)]

Dobros are pretty cool. Ima have a look too..

The small, but mighty collection:
Washburn N2, Barracuda Strat Copy, Art & Lutherie Acoustic, Greg Bennet D-5 Acoustic,Rover RM-50B Mandolin

If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it. -Jack Johnson

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 02:23:56 PM »
Great place to hang out Roaster you could spend hrs there I think I just did...LOL

http://www.resohangout.com/

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 12:39:13 AM »
It's only the beginning boys...only the beginning.[8D]

Offline svgustin

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 02:47:46 AM »
Reso is hard. I guess it is a matter of how much time put in...really. My reso is on holiday for the moment. Too much fun getting better at the mando......I haven't given up though, just resting.

Washburn WD54SW
Gold Tone(PBSM)Resonator
2006 Collings MT Mandolin
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:52:15 AM by svgustin »

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 11:04:25 AM »
Hey Scott, did you find that the Lessons on line Helped?

The worst thing about playing multi instruments is you don't get time to practice all like you should...I picked Mandolin and the rest are just played when I get Bord..I found I played mando best and with ease so it picked me I guess.

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 11:31:03 AM »
Well said magoo...mando picked you.

With resonator, that's how it works for me. It's my number one pick of the barn here. Yes, sv, it's tough. But man, when you get it figured out...what a rush!

Offline svgustin

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 08:12:24 PM »
yeah, I love the reso very much and you are right, when things come together (even the very small things like mastering a roll or a lick) it is a rush. Magoo, the online stuff has helped me 100% seeing as though here in little ol' Southwestern Australia, there ain't no dobro pickers anywhere to be found, let me rephrase that, no SQUARENECK dobro pickers around. So all of my instruction has been via internet resources. And there are a lot out there. I have purchased A couple of things (like JAy bUckey's series1-8)(only because I like him and understand his approach)But one reason I thought (other than just loving the sound and feel) I would pick it up is because well, there ain't nobody down here doin' it. So maybe I could carve myself a niche in the music scene down here. Having said that, I haven't gone public with it yet. I'm still a couple of years off from that. But even if you only get a couple of songs under your belt, it would be a nice addition to any gig or group. Don't ya think Magoo? I'm sure your band would think, cool man, lets work that in someplace. BUT! the only thing worse than a badly played dobro is a_____________fill in the blank fella's. Playing backup isn't too bad. It is in open G after all, so you can find the chords easy enough, it's just those dang rolls. The right hand stuff is killing me. You ojnab players have an advantage there. Like Zero says, it is a rush and when you hear it played well, there is nothing like it. s**t man, I can see Magoo right now, pouring over photo's and websites like Paul Beard and Jerry Douglas. Well my friend the adventure never ends.Washburn WD54SW
Gold Tone(PBSM)Resonator
2006 Collings MT Mandolin

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 12:36:54 AM »

Sv, I hear ya on the niche thing. Back when I lived in Montreal there weren't many squareneck players either, but at least there were some. Here in Central Alberta, zip, nada, zilch...squat! I'm the only teacher around!! There's a guy who drives from Calgary, about 180 kms each way to learn dobro. Go figure, I never thought in my life I'd be the 'man on the mountain' with this thing.

You're right buddy, it's alot of right hand. The only other trick to dobro is the pull offs and hammer ons with the left hand, and also muting with the individual fingers instead of just the palm. To make things worse, I learned with four picks instead of three...why not, make something insane even crazier, right?

I certainly never thought it would become a serious facet of my job (teacher/studio player) but it sure is looking that way!! Hang in there my good man...it's worth it.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 07:18:14 AM »
Great Info guys, Whats the Difference in the squre neck and.....  guitar style? remember I don't have a clue about it...I have seen it played Guitar style and didn't think much of this,  but a friend of mine In T.O plays dobro and he is very good.  he plays it standing straped on like a guitar but its lying flat [don't know if this make sense]...LOL
so educate me please...LOL

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 07:33:25 AM »
This is my friend Playing his dobro, He use to play lead guitar/mandolin for my old band..Great guy and great player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBpG7JHAyuw