Username: Password:

Author Topic: what year?  (Read 10141 times)

Offline svgustin

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 08:10:17 AM »
well Magoo, there are squarenecks, which your friend is playing in the video. It must be played thata way with a bar, because the strings are like right off the fret board by an inch!. That's the type I play. The round neck version can be played and fretted, but it is usually played with a slide. A bar being heavy like one used for pedal steel, and the slide, well you know what that is...usually see the blues guys playing one like that. and the all metal dobros tend to be the round neck version. There are special straps to help you stand up with the darn thing. I found it almost easier standing up, but well, it's still hard. Don't let me put you off with my hard comments. Like I said, I'm resting for the time being, but before I started resting I was getting somewhere. Certainly it's a steep learning curve, but you can progress pretty quick. So I haven't given up Roaster, no way. and you know, by the time my fingers get all arthritic and I can't play guitar or mando anymore, guess what I'll have as a fall back? You guessed it, my dobro.

Washburn WD54SW
Gold Tone(PBSM)Resonator
2006 Collings MT Mandolin

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2009, 09:13:58 AM »

Right on sv! Y'know, when I was a young buck I was fortunate enough to be mentored by really neat old guy who showed me much on the dobro. At the time I had a metal bodied National that I had scored pretty cheap and when he saw me with it just sitting outside on a picnic table at a jam, he comes up and says 'Son, if you're going to play a guitar like that, you'd better know what the hell you're doing.' So started a brief (we moved shortly after) but very respectful friendship. I offered to pay him but he said my only responsibility after was that if I spotted someone like me (young,enthusiastic,and broke) further down the road, share the knowledge.

Well, decades later, Junior's lessons have turned into a living for me. I do charge to teach, but every once in a while I come across a young buck who really needs to know...and I gladly share the wealth. Lately, the young buck has been my son. Young, stubborn, and kind of hard to handle like I used to be, but get a guitar in that boy's hands and man, does he level out. I haven't seen that kind of persistence in a young person in a long, long time. If he was that attentive in school, he'd be up for a Nobel Prize!! Oh well, at least he's not ADD, just bored...heh, heh

Back to the topic, magoo, squareneck is indeed played flat. As sv said, the strings are almost a good inch above the fingerboard, and wrapping your hand around that sucker is impossible. The slide or 'steel' is held in between the fingers of the left hand enabling all kinds of neat little tricks like behind the slide bends, hammer ons, pull offs, etc,etc., and the right hand runs much like ti does on a  banjo except that unlike banjo, the 5th and 6th strings are perfect for running bass lines. The most complex aspect is definitely the muting, both with left and right hand, but that will make or break the clean picking. These dobros sustain forever.

For your viewing pleasure....this is a Recording King tri-cone metal bodied squareneck. This is a very, very nice guitar, and yes there's one in my future...just not yet. The tri-cone configuration features three cones (2 bass side, one treble) on a 'T' bridge. Unbelievable volume, sustain, etc...this baby growls!

This is what I'm jamming on these days. This is a squareneck Recording King wood body unit. It's mahogany with a hand spun cone. It doesn't have the 'punch' of the metal body, but man, is it 'sweet'. I just need both...that's all...[:D]

No matter how much your guitar cost, if you suck, you suck.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 06:43:44 AM »
Thanks guys, for the Info..sounds very interesting, Wish my friend lived closer so I could have a play....I will start asking around to see if anyone I know has one, I would love to try. I checked the local shops and they carry one by fender the is just over $300 which is not bad..But if I was to buy it I would have to do way more research.

Can the Round neck Be played has a reg Guitar?
Hey Roaster I really like the look of the square neck Recording King wood body I like the look of the mahogany.

Another Question are these thing Heavy?

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 10:08:46 AM »
Hey magoo,

you bet buddy..yes you can play a roundneck like a regular guitar. My swamp stomper is set up like that.

This thing is set up in standard tuning, but I still play it with a bottle neck. It also has one of the best 'growly' tones I've ever hear when I plug it in with a bit of overdrive. Swamp Stomper is a very appropriate name for this thing!!

As for the squareneck wood body units, no, they're not that heavy. Definitely more than a dreadnought, but not as bad as a Les Paul. There, how's that for scope? [:D]

Oh, and just so you know, the Fender resonators borderline suck. Make sure you try it. Check for rattles, buzzes, etc. They definitely don't blow me away...for as much as I dig a J-bass, I'd never buy one of their resos...just sayin'.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 10:49:30 AM »
quote:
Oh, and just so you know, the Fender resonators borderline suck. Make sure you try it. Check for rattles, buzzes, etc. They definitely don't blow me away...for as much as I dig a J-bass, I'd never buy one of their resos...just sayin'.

Thanks for the info, This is why It would be hard for me to buy such a thing, you can't really trust the guys that sell them here because its all about the sale.
My best bet would be to find someone here that plays and get them to give me some help.

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 12:56:58 PM »
Absolutely...

Take your time, find a player. Hit the Reso Hangout LOTS. Hey, if worse comes to worse, you can always ask me!![;)]

We're here for ya brother.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 02:34:28 PM »
quote:
if worse comes to worse, you can always ask me!!

LMAO...thanks bro, never thought of that.
Must say its nice to see so much traffic here on the Bluegrass side of things.

Offline svgustin

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 08:36:57 PM »
right you are Magoo, and Roaster.............It was the Fender that first got me asking questions over at Reso-nation. They over there talked me out of it and I ended up with the Gold Tone Paul Beard solid mahogany....! and my then wife was not very impressed that I spent so much money on an instrument I couldn't play......if you know what I mean.....but I don't regret it one bit.  Take your time as Roaster says. I had the same problem Magoo. Nobody sold them here. They could order for me but they didn't have a clue about the instrument. So it was Elderly for me, the gold tones pass through Paul Beard's shop for the cone installation and the set up (which is of ultimate importance)so I felt at least I would get one that was very playable. I wouldn't have known the difference you see.
So, keep lookin' and thinkin'. and hey I don't know anything, but I'm willing to say so :-) so ask away, we won't make fun of ya....although I have found the reso community to be pretty forgiving and very helpful when it comes to newbies!Washburn WD54SW
Gold Tone(PBSM)Resonator
2006 Collings MT Mandolin

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 10:46:44 PM »

Hey sv,

The resonator community is so small and secluded we can't afford to be weenies to one another. [:D] Those Beard/Gold Tone resos are killer. Nice score.

I sold a Recording King squareneck (like the one in the picture) today to a customer and it spent a little time on my bench to get it absolutely tweaked. Man, did that sucker light up!! An absolutely beautiful piece and cheap by Canadian standards.

Magoo, I have no idea who to talk to in Newfoundland but we'll keep our ears open...you never know who I'm going to bump into.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 10:48:25 AM »
Thanks again for all you post guys, great read and even if I decide not to buy one I have learned a lot already..LOL

Bob hope you don't mind I use your name , your username is a pain to write...LOL.  A friend of my own a mom and pop shop here and is willing to bring in anything I want as long and the instrument has not been contracted to another shop in the area. He is a great guy and he is willing to deal.
This is the guy that ran the Garrison guitar factory/shop before they sold out to Gibson.
thanks again for  these great post, I love how the Bluegrass forum has changed here in the last mth or so...Maybe washburn could start to look into resos.

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 01:22:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by magoo99

Maybe washburn could start to look into resos.

Actually Magoo, they have the Oscar Schimdt OR6CE, but if I were you, and understand I don't know resonators, maybe Roaster, could elaborate, I would go with the Johnson Swamp Stomper like Roaster's.  It's the exact same instrument, (EXACT!!!) with a tiny little difference in the headstock (for Brand ID). The Johnson runs from about 30 to 60 dollars cheaper then the Oscar, and gets rave reviews. They are the same instrument though.

No Watson, dear fellow, we'll first finish gathering the facts. It's really quite elementary, one should always fit the theory to the facts, not the facts to the theory. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S
Washburn WD114S
Washburn J4
Martin 00-15
Trinity College Bouzouki
Takamine EG523SC-12
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Fender FV-3
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD

Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Roland F-110

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2009, 03:12:55 PM »

Actually Quinn, they're not exactly the same...headstock aside, the Johnson has a Continental hand spun cone and the Oscar has a standard stamped cone. BIG difference. We shop buddy around man, and here's an instance where it all comes out of the same factory but with tiny subtleties. The Alabama also comes out of the same barn, but again with a stamped and not spun cone. Stamping a cone doesn't produce nearly the same volume or clarity. If not mistaken, the Music Link (AXL/Johnson/Recording King/etc) is the mother ship that builds these for everybody...so naturally, they're going to give theirs (the Johnson) the edge...and boy does it have the edge!!

Hey magoo, if you're looking to play bluegrass style (on your lap with a steel) then the Swamp Stomper won't work. It's a roundneck. Another subtle difference is the fact that it uses a biscuit bridge (convex cone) instead of a spider bridge (concave cone, like a speaker). The spider bridges are much deeper and sweeter sounding when played bluegrass style, whereas when fingerpicking some dirty delta stuff, nothing can catch a biscuit for punch and clarity.

Technically yes, you can get a nut adapter to jack the strings up and turn a roundneck into a flat player, BUT because of the increased tension from having to tune up a couple of strings, this can sound the death bell for your roundneck. It ain't for nothing a squareneck is so beefy. [;)]

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »
So Roaster,,, the Johnson has a spun resonator and the Oscar has a die cast, and that is a better thing right? And it's still about 30 bucks cheaper than the Oscar.. That's a good thing,,, They both have the biscuit bridge you mentioned, but the Johnson Swamp Stomper can be had for about $330 on-line. The Oscar is running about $370-380 on-line.

So if I were looking for something in the little over $300.00 range to test the waters, would you endorse the Johnson Swamp Stomper?  I've been considering it, and you've probably realized by now that blues is one of my favored genres. The Ry Cooder, Taj Mahal sort of blues. Taj's favored resonator is the National.

EDIT!!! I forgot to add, I play almost exclusively acoustic, so would one of the non-electric Johnson models be more to my tastes?

No Watson, dear fellow, we'll first finish gathering the facts. It's really quite elementary, one should always fit the theory to the facts, not the facts to the theory. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S
Washburn WD114S
Washburn J4
Martin 00-15
Trinity College Bouzouki
Takamine EG523SC-12
Fender FV-3
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:25:20 PM by Quinn Spalpeen »

Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Roland F-110

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »

Hey Quinn,

Would I endorse the Swamp Stomper? Absolutely!! I own one!!! When we got this guitar in it kind of irked me a bit. What a weird hybrid. Even the cutaway thing had me scratching my head. The strings that came on it were marginal, so I put on a nice bright set of brass strings, 11-52 custom light. Man, does that sucker ever light up now! It's a very, very clean guitar. Anything you do will come out louder because of the resonator, so if you pick sloppy, it's really sloppy. That said, when plugged into some of my old tube rigs here it has one of the smoothest dispositions I've ever heard. So much so I used it to play a couple of jazz tunes at the Christmas concert last week and it was heaven. Big, rich bass notes, and ultra smooth mids.

Even if you have no intention of plugging in, it's still a nice guitar to play. Very solid feel to this thing and it stays in tune very nicely. It's a great axe for bottleneck, but also for doing some fingerstyle delta stuff...

If you need specifics, send me a PM. I really, really like this guitar...she's a honey for no money.[:D]

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2009, 06:17:58 PM »
Roaster,, Thanks so much,,,, I want to expand out a little and have narrowed it down to acoustic bass or slide/bottle neck. But everything I've read about the Swamp Stomper has been good to very good to rave. The most negative thing I've read so far is the description Elderly gives for the Johnson they carry. Check the link out, this is why I love doing business with them, they are too honest.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/JDB1R.htm

I quote,Workmanship and finish are far from first rate, but these do offer a very reasonable entry point to resonator guitar. How many folks are that honest?

Washburn F10S
Washburn WD114S
Washburn J4
Martin 00-15
Trinity College Bouzouki
Takamine EG523SC-12
Fender FV-3
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:19:00 PM by Quinn Spalpeen »

Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Roland F-110