Username: Password:

Author Topic: what year?  (Read 9687 times)

Offline VT banjoplayer

• View Profile
what year?
« on: December 16, 2009, 10:17:09 AM »
Hello all, I am new here and not too long ago I bought a B-16. I love it, although I am just learning it sounds sweet. I am just curious to see what year it is. I have done alot of research trying to find an answer to my question, but, it seems that is a tall order. The serial number is 95036. What I did read on this forum is that the first two numbers is the year it was born, but not always. Will someone please help?
Matt

If it makes any difference when I bought it, it had a crystal head.

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
what year?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »
Hey greg! Magoo! He said a Banjo sounds sweet...! Ahaha!

Sorry, us Mando players don't like you banjo players much.. [;)][:D]

My semi-educated guess would be that its a '95.. Or a '99.. Not quite sure.

Someone will be along to help ya..

The small, but mighty collection:
Washburn N2, Barracuda Strat Copy, Art & Lutherie Acoustic, Greg Bennet D-5 Acoustic,Rover RM-50B Mandolin

If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it. -Jack Johnson
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:39:15 AM by Junior88 »

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:50:16 PM »
Hey VT, welcome to the forum. JR Is one funny guy...LOL.
Not much help here on the forum when it comes to banjo..maybe you could send a E-mail to washburn or there is one guy that drops in every now and then by the name of Racingstude..he has a lot of knowldge on washy Banjo's and he may be able to help you. Just click on his name and send a E-mail in this forum, or in the members on the top right corner may have to scroll a bit to find him.

Good Luck
Magoo

Offline wrmurphy

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 06:42:12 PM »
VT banjo player, welcome to the forum. You did come to the right place, this is for banjo players also, juniors just being a little facetious. I am a mandolin player and don't have much knowledge of banjo's. I don't think you have enough posts to pm another forum member yet, I believe you need 10 post before they will forward your pm. However, I'm sure that some banjo player will be along to help you with your question. If not, then do as magoo sugests, cotact the company.

Murph

Offline VT banjoplayer

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 06:03:22 AM »
Thanks everyone, hopefully someone will come along and be able to help me out. Not that it matters really, I was just curious. I still love it.
This is a post for banjos and mandos right?  Boy, that Jr is quite a joker, eh?
Matt

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
what year?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 10:46:22 AM »
Dude, I was just pullin your leg..

Yep. B@*^$ Players and Mando players are all allowed. Welcome to the WBGF.

Washburn N2, Barracuda Strat Copy, Art & Lutherie Acoustic, Greg Bennet D-5 Acoustic,Rover RM-50B Mandolin

If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it. -Jack Johnson

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 12:01:31 PM »

Hey Junior,

Easy there 'young buck'. Banjo is the Zen Ninja weapon of the finger picking crowd. I've been playing banjo for over 20 years now, and few things I've encountered (including mandolin..[;)]) require the discipline and dedication of the banjo. The only other atrocious hell spawn I can think of is dobro...only because of the variable pitch and slide bar.

So, although the butt of many, many jokes over the last couple of decades, nothing and I mean NOTHING gets people jacked at a gig like pulling out a banjo and playing stuff like East Bound and Down...even if it is a rock gig.

I doubt you'd ever get that kind of raucous reaction with a mando..[;)][:D]
No matter how much your guitar cost, if you suck, you suck.

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 12:05:26 PM »

Oh almost forgot...VT, hang in there buddy, banjo is a gas!! I think I may even have a can of repellent to take care of these mando guys. If you have any questions, fire away. I'm not exactly sure what year your B16 is, but really...who cares!! It's a good sounding 'jo and set up right, it'll go like a race car.

If you need any banjo info you can always got to the Banjo Hangout website. That place is the 'oracle' as far as banjos go. No doubt someone on there can figure out what year your rig is.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 12:15:31 PM »
LMAO, That's why we like JR so much around here..he keeps it light even when its not. with all the trolls around here of late that's a good thing..plus I know he really wants to play banjo...LOL

I also play tenor and a 6 string banjo, I know its not a 5 er but I like them and I'll tell ya one thing no trouble to be heard at a house party...LOL

Great idea telling him about the banjo hangout but Darn you think you be able to come to washburn and get info on lets say....washburns....thats about the only thing I don't like about this place if Nick don't know the answer it so hard to find one

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »

yeah magoo, unfortunately it's that way with all instruments of all types from all years. If you want a headache, try authenticating Nationals from the 30's!!

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
what year?
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 01:02:01 PM »
quote:
I doubt you'd ever get that kind of raucous reaction with a mando..

Oooh. Tables turned.. LOL. Actually, everyone loooves the Mando. When I walk into a jam sesh with a mando case and a guitar case, I am the king of cool [;)]

Magoo, you got me. It has always been my dream to play B@&%#.. LOL

Yep. The trolls are annoying, and I try to keep things alive..LOL *cough*Bob, Evets*cough*

Have you guys seen how many little flames there are round here now?! The whole forum (Even the AGF) use to be filled with cobwebs..

Offline svgustin

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 08:27:37 PM »
quote:
The only other atrocious hell spawn I can think of is dobro...only because of the variable pitch and slide bar.

well I have to agree with this statement. You'd think dobro players and banjo players would see eye to eye, but well, spend a little time over at Resonation and well, it's Ojnab over there [:D]

Truthfully, it wouldn't be much of a bluegrass band without the ol' banjo I'm afraid. Unless of course you want to start talkin' about the fiddle! So, ya cain't live with 'em and ya cain't live without 'em.

Washburn WD54SW
Gold Tone(PBSM)Resonator
2006 Collings MT Mandolin

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »

'ojnab'...hahahaha!!! How right you are SV.

I started playing resonator before playing banjo, but it was a lonely and secluded life. Banjo is still the life of the party....at least in the public's eye. Resonator is Shoa Lin when it comes to finger picking. I just love it. Add to that the deep tones, the relaxed smoothness, man, it's heaven...but not many people get it. It's too out there for the untrained ear. The success rate for teaching dobro is dismal. Too bloody hard. The variable pitch thing really snakes alot of people, whereas banjo, for some silly reason, they get it..

Junior, OF COURSE mando would be big where you are...it's a haven for folkies out there. Vancouver Island?!?! I guess...right along with Chai tea, er, Tai Chi, whatever...We're in cattle and oil country here where the difference between a lcoal and a city slicker is that folks out here have the manure on the OUTSIDE of their boots.[:D]

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
what year?
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »
quote:
Junior, OF COURSE mando would be big where you are...it's a haven for folkies out there. Vancouver Island?!?! I guess...right along with Chai tea, er, Tai Chi, whatever...We're in cattle and oil country here where the difference between a lcoal and a city slicker is that folks out here have the manure on the OUTSIDE of their boots.

We definantly have a wide expanse of people out here.. LOL. Naw man, go across the pond to Hongcouver, thats where you drink chai tea and get your ass kicked by Tai Chi.. [:D]
And yep, all you rednecks across the rockies I suppose would like the Banjo [;)]

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 11:34:18 AM »

Sorry, my bad Junior...I guess you guys do the drum circles and stuff like that?[;)]

You called me a redneck?!?!?! I'm so flattered...thanks man!![:I][:I] In honour of you I'm going to go grind a few of the points of some full metal jacket rounds and turn them into hunting bullets so I can go hunt with my assault rifle, pour me a travel mug of Jim Beam, and just a give 'er on that banjer. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw!![:D]