Username: Password:

Author Topic: what year?  (Read 9699 times)

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
what year?
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2009, 08:49:09 PM »
Resos............love 'em.

I had a Dobro for awhile, Gruhn's said it was from the 30's (as close as they could date it).  I didn't like, or take time to get used to, the vee neck.  Sold it.  Mistake......not the biggest one I've made in my life, somewhere between divorcing my first wife and giving my 4wt G. Loomis away in a drunken stooper.  Damn, that was a sweet rod and I miss the Dobro.

A few years ago one of the big online sellers was selling their store brand instruments off cheap.  I bought a Fullerton roundneck reso for $99 with shipping paid.  Then, put a set of Grover tuners on it.  Then, forgot about it.  

Crap, I forgot about the mando I had bought then also.  It sounded like junk so it went in the back of the closet to later become a wall hanger.  I just pulled it out and put a set of J74's on it.  Doesn't sound so bad after all.  I've been looking for a beater mando---nothing like finding a pre-paid one!!!!

The reso is a cheapo and sounds kinda cheesy, but it's a 12 fret-slot head with a 1 3/4 nut, and can do some blues just fine.  Cheesy works just fine for the blues and I'm thinking that's all I need a guitar for.

Thinking.........

Nope, the 12 Fret Dread isn't going anywhere.[;)]

Great thread---cheap reso, great blues.  And a beater mando to boot.[:D][:D][:D]
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2009, 12:04:22 AM »

Hey Quinn, I'll agree with Elderly on the Chicago Blues Johnson. It certainly isn't a beauty queen, but for some low buck fun, why not. The Stomper is definitely a few notches above the Chicago Blues and also sports the biscuit cone instead of the spider. For tight old fashioned picking, nothing beats a biscuit.

Johnson also makes an axe called a 'Bottle Slide Triolian'. Check that one out...not as 'electric' as the Stomper, but roundneck with the old style slotted head, and the same biscuit cone as the Stomper. More of a traditional roundneck you might say.

This unit can also be gotten with a Fishman pickup if you're wanting the true biscuit sound when playing with a slide. Definitely a few notches above the Chicago Blues units. For some weird reason I can't get my ahead around using a spider bridge axe for blues. I had one a while back and it never rang right for me.

Hey greg, bummer about the fly rod!! A 4wt Loomis in these parts is as important as your 4X4, your gun, and your dog!
No matter how much your guitar cost, if you suck, you suck.

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2009, 04:30:57 PM »
Roaster, I think I'm going with your advice, I can get this, Johnson JR-550 Bottle Slide Triolian Resonator Guitar, with a hardshell case, shipped for $314.00. From what I can tell, it's a non-cutaway, not electric Swamp Stomper, it that right?  I've done a lot of reading today and I think that's right.  If I decide to take the plunge, I'll drop you a line.

No Watson, dear fellow, we'll first finish gathering the facts. It's really quite elementary, one should always fit the theory to the facts, not the facts to the theory. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S
Washburn WD114S
Washburn J4
Martin 00-15
Trinity College Bouzouki
Takamine EG523SC-12
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Fender FV-3
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD

Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline VT banjoplayer

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 05:51:42 AM »
Hey all! Back again, I just couldnt get enough of jr. Actually I was off line for a while, you know, things up here just move a little bit slower. Anyway, now my piece is making a ringing noise when I play my third string open and a little bit( but not as bad) with my fifth. The only thing I did was mess around with the tension of my head, it bugs the hell out of me. Any thoughts?

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
what year?
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 02:30:34 PM »
Sorry if I offended you man. Not my intention at all.

My sister's boyfriend has a banjo, damn its fun..

Washburn N2, Barracuda Strat Copy, Fender DG 10/12, Art & Lutherie Acoustic, Greg Bennet D-5 Acoustic,Rover RM-50B Mando

If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it. -Jack Johnson

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 07:25:18 PM »
quote:
Sorry if I offended you man. Not my intention at all.

Nice of you Ryan...When most people get to know you Bro they will like you, Your one cool young man...Wish my Daughters boyfriends were/will be as mature as you at this age..damn I just wish I could get them to pull up their pants...LOL

Offline svgustin

• View Profile
what year?
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »
hhahhahhahahh Magoo!

Washburn WD54SW
Gold Tone(PBSM)Resonator
2006 Collings MT Mandolin