Username: Password:

Author Topic: Model Query  (Read 1945 times)

Offline terra3

• View Profile
Model Query
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
Considering the purchase of this as an adult beginner's guitar. Owner indicated that the PUPs have been replaced with LPs (here's a beginner query . . . I'm assuming LPs of various years have differing PUPs?). Described as 'very nice' and awaiting a few answers to pointed questions on condition. May even have a bud that lives in the town (hundreds of km from myself) stop by to check out.

A bit out of focus, and no other details for the time being, but what can you folks tell me about this guitar.

thanks for any and all help with this.  Was humming and hawing between newer HB35,Hagstrom Viking and Sheraton II, then this one came along.

Offline terra3

• View Profile
Model Query
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:11:26 PM »
Damn. I don't think I ever posted a photo properly ever on a first attempt.

Let's see . . . .

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
Model Query
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:30:01 PM »
That's a late 80's HB35. 88 or so, Japanese made, excellent bang for the buck, and depending on the p'ups, a great guitar made better.

I'll bet good money that when you do get your hands on it, it'll have a 4 digit serial number, beginning with 8.

All maple. Dunno what he's asking, but it's gotta be less than the Hagstom or the Sheraton II, also fine guitars. I consider this far preferable to a later HB35.

As to LP pickups...early LP's had P90's, or PAF's (57's, still sold by Gibson)which is a humbucker. Every pickup maker on the planet sells what they claim is a PAF reissue, just like every guitar maker sells an LP clone. And like the clones, some are great, some aren't. Hard to say what you might have without looking. You could be in for a nice surprise...even if they aren't top end p'ups, if the guitar is in good shape and everything is working, it'd make a fantastic beginner guitar that will continue to grow as you do.

I bought one JUST like it. It had seen YEARS of hard use, and it plays like a dream.

Other than the fact that I have no pickguard and a Zebra at the bridge (vintage Seymour Duncan JBJ), it's identical to yours. A couple of unusual characteristics of these two HB's is the solid MOP blocks (only to 19) the logo-less headstock, and the pickup selector and output on the lower bout. BUY IT, or give me the guys info  [:D]

http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline terra3

• View Profile
Model Query
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:43:25 PM »
Ha. Had a serious picker check this guitar out for me this evening (the guitar is about 600 km from where I live). Verdict is it's the real deal. Excellent shape, plays and sounds perfect. Very, very slight bow to the neck was the only thing of note, but he indicated that it was nothing to worry about. He indicated that the PUP's that the fellow pulled from an early 90's vintage Les Paul sound fantastic in the guitar. My bud was going to buy it if I decided not to. I did.

So in a week or so, I pick this guitar up. Nice.  Appreciate the info and assistance with this. And you were correct. Washburn label serial number was 84xx.

thanks again

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
Model Query
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:29:44 PM »
sweet. what do I win?

First time you do a restring...or when you have a luthier set it up and address the neck, a couple minutes with a phillips head screwdriver will tell you about those pickups, but really, what your ears tell you is more important.

That's great man! be sure to come back around and let us know how it's going.

And good luck with learning to play!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:32:20 PM by Tio Kimo »
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2