Username: Password:

Author Topic: HB-35 Bridge Pickup Failure  (Read 4747 times)

Offline Austins Dad

• View Profile
HB-35 Bridge Pickup Failure
« on: December 20, 2009, 03:18:05 AM »
I picked up a used HB-35 recently and have been really happy with the guitar.  Other than a little set-up work that I still need to get done (slight fret buzz on the low-E) I would say all has been good.  But, I seem to have fried the bridge P/U...possibly because I was building a Ruby Amp.  Not sure, but after messing around with the Ruby Amp my bridge P/U doesn't seem to work anymore.  Has anyone had similar issues?  And would it make sense that a homemade amp might fry a P/U?  Maybe it is a pot and not the P/U itself.  Will be a little work to get the pot out if it is so aside from the $ it might be easier to replace the P/U.  Need to do some testing on the electronics tomorrow when I'm a little more rested.

Offline Austins Dad

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 03:55:44 AM »
I also forgot to ask - what would be a good (and economical) replacement P/U...if I have to replace it.  Lots of choices.  I liked the original tone and functionality and I don't really want to replace the neck P/U or make for an odd combination.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

If you're building an amp, you're way beyond me on the electronics knowledge spectrum. I have been doing alot of research on a good neck p'up for an HB. A Seymour Duncan '59N can be had for $75 and is a quality p'up that will sound great in this guitar. BUT, matching the bridge may be an issue.

My neck p'up is 21 years old, professionally gigged, and sounds great, but it's falling apart inside the guitar. From its tones, I think the 59 would be similar (I have one in the neck of my semi hollow Idol).
due to it's age however, I don't know how it matches up with what you've got.

Good luck, keep us posted.

~kimo
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:39:55 AM »

Hey Austinsdad, I highly doubt that clowning with an amp would've fried your pick up. That would have to be some extreme rerouting of electricity, and buddy, you would've felt it![:D] I don;t say this proudly, but I've been seriously cooked by some pretty fearsome tube rigs (i.e., Ampeg SVT, etc) and it's never toasted a pickup. Sometimes it can be something as goofy as cold soldering, or a pinched wire. I've also seen pots go bad. Sounds to me like it's time for an ohm meter and a cup of coffee.

As for replacements, well...sky's the limit!!! If I was replacing humbuckers, and wanted a real kicking sound, it'd be a Pearly Gates pick up. That would certainly wake up a hollowbody but with a nice growly tone. I would certainly recommend replacing both though. Although stock pickups are ok, you'll find that the neck will be lagging behind a solid Seymour Duncan unit.

While you're clowning around, you may also want to investigate the option of coil taps...being able to run your humbuckers as single coils. Fun, fun, fun! For this a bit of rewiring is required as the pots have to be changed to a push/pull type to kick the coil in and out.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves...first, and easiest...test. Working on hollowbodies is a nuisance because of lack of access to the wiring, but just have a bit of patience, and take lots of breaks. Oh, another thing to check is the pickup selector switch!! These go OFTEN and are really prone to getting dirty. Sometimes something as easy as just a bit of contact cleaner will bring it back.
No matter how much your guitar cost, if you suck, you suck.

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:49:39 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Zeroroaster

If I was replacing humbuckers, and wanted a real kicking sound, it'd be a Pearly Gates pick up. That would certainly wake up a hollowbody but with a nice growly tone. I would certainly recommend replacing both though. Although stock pickups are ok, you'll find that the neck will be lagging behind a solid Seymour Duncan unit.

Hey Roaster...interesting thought. I've been lurking on the SD forum, discussing this very issue. Since it's pertinent to ADad's query, I'll throw it out here as well.

My HB has a vintage SD JB(J) in the bridge, and I want to replace the neck, and have been considering the 59 and the PG, also the Jazz, which SD promo materials recommend but few players actually support. They feel the Jazz is FAR too anemic to pair with a JB.

Can you give an opinion and perhaps a reference on the different p'ups?
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline jqworle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:56:04 AM »
Definitely try Seymour Duncans, i have a jazz in the neck and a SH4 in the bridge, sounds lovly
Gibson SG Standard
Washburn HB35
Marshall DSL 401

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 11:32:54 AM »
Tio,

As expected, keep the mellower and quieter of the pickups in the neck position. Traditionally, as you want leads to stand out and cut through the mix, it's cool to have that combination as you can always roll off a bit of volume if you're jamming both pickups together. Personally, on a jazz box, I'm a 'one or the other' kind of guy, and I can always use the tones as a blender if I have to.

The nice thing about headroom on a pickup is that you don't necessarily have to go there, but you've got it if you need it. Chording with a jazz pickup is awesome. Nice, full, round tones. Then when you need a kick in the pants you can whip out the bottleneck and hammer it home at the bridge.

The important thing to realize is that sound will also greatly very depending on what you're putting it into. There's nothing completely straightforward about hot rodding an axe, and sometimes trying something goofy will result in a happy accident. On my homebuilt Telecaster, the neck pickup is a Schecter stacked humbucker with a coil tap, and the bridge pickup is from an ancient lap steel. Who'd a thunk right? Now, differences on a Tele are that the middle selector position is where you're chicken pickin', and in this case, it's terrific...but I tried LOTS of variations before I hit gold.

Now, on a hollowbody, again depending on what you're after for sound, just something goofy like popping the covers off of the humbucker can really light it up. Likewise, putting covers on will fatten it out. Putting something silly in there like a set of active EMG's will knock it out of the park, but most people who run HB's aren't looking for that...just sickos like me!![:p][:p][:p]

Tio, I say go for it...try it out. It might work for you. It could open up some new sounds...

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 11:49:01 AM »
ok, so being fully aware that I'm consulting a sicko, if you had a 335 on your bench with a SD JB in the bridge, a hot soldering iron, an empty neck pocket, and 3 pickups laying there, a '59N, a Pearly Gates N, and a Jazz N, which one would you go to work on?

Just an opinion, I won't hold you personally responsible. [:D]
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Austins Dad

I also forgot to ask - what would be a good (and economical) replacement P/U...if I have to replace it.  Lots of choices.  I liked the original tone and functionality and I don't really want to replace the neck P/U or make for an odd combination.

Dohhh!!! [:0] [B)][B)]

Man, good example of seeing what you wanna see. You're looking at the bridge, not the neck.

Still say that Seymour will give you solid quality, and not outrageous prices. I think The pearly gates are closer to 100 a pop.

Sorry for  the mislead
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:03:55 PM by Tio Kimo »
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 06:57:21 PM »
Hey Tio, hands down, Pearly Gates.

Here's why...the output of the Gates will be closely matched to the JB, tonally as well. Being in the neck position, it should give you some seriously fat bluesy tones while maintaining clarity. The Jazz is my second choice, but it probably won't have enough 'poop' to catch the JB.

So, iron is hot, coffee is loaded, let's get at 'er!!