Username: Password:

Author Topic: N4 bridge height / truss rod  (Read 4829 times)

Offline alder

• View Profile
N4 bridge height / truss rod
« on: January 01, 2010, 01:03:59 AM »
Happy New Year to you all (except perhaps some of you)!

I've been a happy n4 owner for a little while now, and it's played pretty well straight out of the box. I happened to be looking at some pictures online and noticed my bridge might be a tad high. Currently the bottom of the bridge is about level with the top of the guitar. I'm going to lower it, and I just was curious how low you all set it. Secondly: When I drop the bridge I'm going to have to release the truss rod a bit (loosen). Is it lefty loosy, right under the 22nd fret? I've never dealt with a truss rod at the neck joint end...

Thanks in advance

Offline TheRook

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 02:31:31 AM »
Alder,
I've noticed quite a variation in bridge heights on N4s, which led me to explore this thread:

http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14428&whichpage=1

In the end, I would recommend setting the neck action to preference and letting the bridge fall where it may.  I prefer to have a neck with very little bow.  Basically I adjust it to where, when I fret the 1st and 22nd (at the same time) and pluck the string, it just begins to choke - or fret out.  Then I back it off a touch.  Again, just a matter of preference.  And yes, with the truss road bolt at the neck joint, righty tighty still applies (the neck will straighten as you tighten).

On a side note:
When I bought my N4 Vintage, I saw in the photos that the bridge was sitting very low compared to other N4s I had seen - just what I was looking for!  I had the guy measure the guitar at the spots in the thread pasted above, and sure enough, the string and bridge height was good to go.  I found out why it was so low when I opened it up:  The truss rod was loose and there was an insane bow to the neck.  Once I adjusted the neck properly, I had to raise the bridge quite a bit.  That's when I added the controversial pick guard :)

J Rock
2007 EBMM JP6 Pearl Red Burst
2008 Washburn N4 Vintage
2007 Washburn N5 Cream
2003 Washburn N3
1992 Washburn MG-74
Mesa Boogie Roadster, 2X12 Recto Cab
Line 6 AX212 Combo
J Rock
2007 EBMM JP6 Pearl Red Burst
2009 Washburn N4 Padauk 2.0 Davies Reissue
2007 Washburn N5 Cream
2003 Washburn N3
1992 Washburn MG-74
Mesa Boogie Roadster, 2X12 Recto Cab
Line 6 AX212 Combo

Offline Gilbertfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 05:02:02 AM »
Key thing here though is that you liked playing it out the box. To me that action is what suits you so why change it? I prefer a slightly higher action as silly low action may be more playable but it sucks tone out your geetar :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:03:09 AM by Gilbertfan »

Offline alder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:04:53 AM »
Hehe thanks guys. The bridge was pretty high and the neck was very straight to begin with. So the strings were highest at the 22nd fret. That's certainly fine, but I thought I'd change it to a bowed neck (nothing ridiculous), and lower bridge. That's certainly fine, too. Besides, I just like to change things up (live a little.. I like apple juice, so should I not try cranberry juice?). New year or not, it's my favorite guitar, so let's see if I can improve things.

I'd be reporting back what's happened but I'm letting the neck adjust to the looser truss rod.