Username: Password:

Author Topic: Randall pickups  (Read 14993 times)

Offline antwhi

• View Profile
    • http://high-octane-rock.com
Randall pickups
« on: December 17, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Who knows what? I just got a WI 45F with Randall SL at bridge, UL at neck. I can't find a damn thing about them.....nothing on Washburn or Randall Amp websites. Alnico 2, alnico 5, ceramic? Output levels? They don't sound bad through my practice amp but I haven't had a chance to try them through my TSL122 at stage volume yet. If they are crap I've got some other pups I could swap into it..

Anyone know anything?
Washburn Idol WI-45F / Gibson V, Gibson LP DC with P90s, Gibson LP Special, Fender Tele, Squier Strat, Epiphone Alleykat, Marshall TSL122

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
Randall pickups
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 02:22:09 PM »
antwhi,

Check out this thread:

http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15835&SearchTerms=wi45

The Randfall UL and SL are a Bruce Egnater design. The early WI45 pickups were branded Egnater. Somewhere along the line, the US Music (Washburn parent)/Egnater relationship stopped. I'm not sure why. After that, the pick-ups were branded Randall, Randall being another US Music Corp. company. Thjey are the same pick-ups. I researched this a lot. you won't find much out there on Egnater pick-ups either - just the amps.

As you will see in the reviews I have put on the thread, I liked 'em then. I like 'em even better now. My use is basement rock, not full-up stage gigging. Will be interested in your views.

You might want to ask WB-Nick about what they are, technically.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Washburn JM300S (Score!)
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:23:57 PM by cedwards »
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline antwhi

• View Profile
Randall pickups
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 04:25:07 AM »
Thanks for that. I'll post more opinions when I get the chance to compare at higher volume through my Marshall. I've had experience of fitting Burstbuckers, Duncans and Kent Armstrong humbuckers to Epiphone Les Pauls, and I currently own 2 Gibsons with the 498/490 combination. Just through my practice amp, these sound well balanced and the bridge has a nice bite.
One of my favourite reasonably-priced combinations for classic rock / blues is Kent Armstrong, they do a nice alnico 2 neck pup at about 8.5k and a ceramic bridge pup at 15k. I used to have a Fender Tele Custom FMT with Duncans, they were excellent but more expensive.
I only going to swap these Randalls out if I think I've got to; the wiring is complicated due to the VCC.
Washburn Idol WI-45F / Gibson V, Gibson LP DC with P90s, Gibson LP Special, Fender Tele, Squier Strat, Epiphone Alleykat, Marshall TSL122

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
Randall pickups
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:47:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by antwhi

I only going to swap these Randalls out if I think I've got to; the wiring is complicated due to the VCC.

Yup. there's some good discussion on here about re-wiring to swap out VCC for higher quality standard volume/tone pots with push/pull for coil splitting. Tio Kimo had that done and likes it. As I recall, not long ago someone (BlueBuddha?) actually created and posted a good, clean wiring diagram for that.

The WI45 is an Asian import (mine is Indonesian) and, as I understand it, has metric dimension pot cavities. That means some reaming required to fit standard USA pots. There's some dicussion here on that, as well, with measurement details.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Washburn JM300S (Score!)
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline antwhi

• View Profile
Randall pickups
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 06:35:20 AM »
Well, I gave them a full test yesterday. And swapped them out today.

These are marked Randall UL on front, HVN75-NECK on rear. Other is Randall SL, HHB130-BRD. I compared against my Gibson LP Special, with standard 490/498 pups. I set up my Marshall TSL122 3 channel tube amp with one clean channel for rythm level, one dirty at same volume with just a little crunch for chords, and one at high gain/vol for solo level. I set it to what works with the Gibson, then swapped guitars.

There's no way I'd gig with that Randall neck pup. Bridge is ok, picks up harmonics nicely, lots of bite. Would be great for metal, but I'm a classic rock / blues player. Neck lacks body and warmth, no mids punch at all. No comparison with the fullness of the Gibson. I then tried playing with the amp settings to get the best out of the Washburn...and it just wasn't there.

I can see why they put Duncans in the pro Washburns. You could only put up with these if you were going to overdrive it to mush anyway.

I'm in the process of swapping them with covered Kent Armstrongs. They're my usual pup of choice for upgrading Epiphone LPs. I've got as far as establishing that KA use different colour coding!

UPDATE : KAs successfully installed. In humbucker mode, both sound good now. In single coil mode, the KAs don't sound as good as the Randalls - there's more of a volume drop. I had the same issue (big  vol drop) with the coil split on the Fender Tele Custom FMT.  However, I bought this primarily as a humbucker guitar, I have a Strat and a standard Tele. I'll try gigging it like this for a while before considering abandoning the VCC.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 12:54:48 PM by antwhi »

Offline antant

• View Profile
    • http://antantgear.blogspot.com
Randall pickups
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 01:13:52 PM »
Hi, try parallel-series wiring instead of coil splitting, you still have the thinner sound, but without the noise. A lot time ago I used to split, now I do ser-par. It's easy to find schematics

Happy 2010

Offline antwhi

• View Profile
Randall pickups
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:34:14 AM »
Thanks Ant. Maybe that's the issue, I guess it'll be back to trial and error with the soldering iron. Does anyone know if the factory wiring for the VCC is parallel, or just engages one coil? It sounds as if I'm only engaging one coil now, and possibly the secondary one.  

I'm still loving this guitar but it needed better pups. I've put the Randalls on a Westfield LP which I'm selling.

Offline Welby

• View Profile
Randall pickups
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 07:28:07 AM »
VCC is variable from series to parallel, both coils are always on.
Single coil and parallel wired pickups almost always have less gain than series wired humbuckers

Offline antwhi

• View Profile
Randall pickups
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 08:46:03 AM »
Thanks Welby. Makes sense. I'm trying to understand why I've got more of a volume drop when I adjust the VCC since I switched from the Randalls to the KAs. It was less pronounced with the Randalls.

Offline seether

• View Profile
Randall pickups
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 02:49:07 PM »
I think that randalls are nice, neck pickup, i found it excellent for clean settings  with the volume rolled back , kinda jazzy pickup at least thats what the sound reminds me when i play single coil , in humbucking it muddys up quickly , specially when you roll up the volume then it's mud all around, but as i said single coil rolled down a great jazzy pickup , or maybe it' just me ? :-)

The bridge pickup is where i feel at home , bridge pickup can deliver some serious bite , any one who plays metal of any kind or hard rock and aggressiv stuff or even old school rock will be more than satisfied.
Metal - Full humbucking ,cut the mids on the amp, no need to turn the guitar's volume past 6-7 , palm mute it and it will make your jaw fall down , thick and full , devastating on a marshall , without any pedals and alike.
Grundgy-hard rock- Single coil , lower the bass bring up the mids , not to much :-) , nirvana , stone temple pilots and alike, again through a marshall head 1x12 cab.

For rhythm i use the middle position with bridge hum on volume at 7 with neck volume at 1 highest 2 (past that it will muddy up) , it's thick but not bassy and when you need to sharpen it just switch to bridge .

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:12:20 PM by seether »