Username: Password:

Author Topic: NEW IDOL SHAPE  (Read 22161 times)

Offline CivoLee

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/peroxidebase
NEW IDOL SHAPE
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2010, 01:20:46 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by SilentLegume

Just a thought... Maybe the wi64 would sell better with traditional tone controls instead of the good-in-theory-but-usually-ripped-out VCC system.  I love my 64s -- but I had to swap out the guts for a regular set of controls after a few weeks.  I've read that many others on the boards have done the same.

It wouldn't matter if no one's seen or been able to play the guitar in most music stores.  I agree about the VCC though-what little marketing's been done for the import Idols has usually focused on that, while the guitar itself definitely stands up on its own.  The VCC should be treated as a bonus, not the Idol's main selling point.  The USA models don't even have it; now what does that tell you?

Offline SilentLegume

• View Profile
NEW IDOL SHAPE
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2010, 04:51:35 PM »
Yah, Washburn's gotta adress the availability/distribution problems.  

It's weird... The WI64 is a great alternative to an LP or an SG (Great Shape, Awesome Neck, Grover Tuners, Buzz Feiten...) and comes in at a lower cost than a PRS Mira or Gretsch corvette but it's hampered by one of it's features - that damned VCC.  The pickups are OK, but the electronic controls are awful (not just the VCC, but the sub-par volume controls as well).

Offline Welby

• View Profile
NEW IDOL SHAPE
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2010, 08:27:50 AM »
The pots in the Idols with the VCC are of the same quality as any other guitar brand in the same price range. The import Idols have always been a fine quality guitar for the price. On stage in front of thousands of people they have no idea what the quality of the performers volume pot is.
And once again, some people get the VCC and some don't. Retrofitting to normal tone controls is extremely simple if someone doesn't want the VCC, and even if you take it to a tech it shouldn't cost more than $25.00 to do.

Offline SuperRick

• View Profile
NEW IDOL SHAPE
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2010, 02:00:33 PM »
Just want to remind Washburn that I love my Idol.

Tone Does NOT Come From Your Wallet!!!

Offline PoPo75

• View Profile
NEW IDOL SHAPE
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »
The back looks better than the front! I own three idols and they are by far the best looking, playing, and sounding, guitars in their price range. Why Washburn would change to the new shape I don't know. Cheap Les Paul copy? I'd rather get the ESP eclipse. The neck through seems like a good idea but it is still ugly as sin. I will certainly never buy another idol or new idol, I should say.[:(!]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:45:03 PM by PoPo75 »
WI66Pro
WI66ProG
WI45
HB35
125th anniversary acoustic D49CE
EA18TS

Offline al2935

• View Profile
NEW IDOL SHAPE
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2010, 01:12:46 AM »
I'm pleased to announce that we will continue with the Original Idol as well
pleased to hear this, I also jumped and cryed when I saw the brand new collection. I always loved Washburn and started to be very desappointed with this poor poor copy! the original Idol is a damn good guitar that deserves more! (try with a P rails and a bigsby please...)