Username: Password:

Author Topic: Behold the False Idol!  (Read 3885 times)

Offline CivoLee

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/peroxidebase
Behold the False Idol!
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:02:51 PM »
Traditionally, the Idol series has had a unique look and shape, but the remodeled series has now taken on a new image...

It now looks like the most generic singlecut I've ever seen!!!!

http://www.washburn.com/news-and-reviews/news/2010-idol.html

[:(!][xx(][}:)][B)][V]

WHAT were Washburn thinking when they came up with this?  I'll tell you-- Hmm, Les Pauls sell more than Idols, so we'll sell more by making it look like a Les Paul!  I've never seen a more blatant case of following the other guy's design because you've lost faith in your own.  If I were Rudy Schlacher, I'd be preparing to buy my company right back from these jackbooted bean-counters at Jam, and if I had designed the Idol, I'd be suing Washburn for the rights to the design.  I don't have a problem with the presence of a Les Paul clone in Washburn, but to beat the Idol into one when more than a few of us here have all said we'd don't want them to shows nothing but disgard for your current customer base.  This new guitar is not an Idol.  It doesn't look like one, it probably won't hang on your body like one, and I can tell just by looking at it that it won't play like one.  This is a spit in the face to Idol fans from Jam Industries.

Since this forum have obviously been ignored...an online petition is up here:   http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/changetheidolback/

You may have to register for an account with that site in order to sign...I tried to sign it with my own name, then it said I had to either register for an account or sign in via Twitter...but then when I clicked register for an account, it said Thank you for supporting this petition, so I dunno...

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
Behold the False Idol!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:39:18 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by CivoLee

Traditionally, the Idol series has had a unique look and shape, but the remodeled series has now taken on a new image...

That does seem a shame, I'm not going to get irate about it as I don't own an Idol, but to abandon a distinctive design seems a shame.

I wonder if the WVs will go the same way and be replaced by straight Jackson RR clones.

2 EC29s, a KC90 and a whole load of Indies
<hr noshade size=1>
2 EC29s, RS10-V, RS8-V,  RR2-V, and a whole load of Indies

Offline Nagarajah

• View Profile
Behold the False Idol!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 09:26:33 PM »
More reason for us to discuss about the 'former' series of guitars which are more of a hot topic here than recent productions.  The WI66pro is a sick guitar I'm glad I still own.

Offline Mr. Bradley

• View Profile
Behold the False Idol!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:21:48 PM »
dude! Washburn freaking sold out big time. Forget Les Paul shaped guitars, we got too many of those. I'm glad I got to get an iconic ORIGINAL shaped Idol guitar before Washburn changed the damn shape.
Why Hello Mr. Burny!

Offline WB-Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com
Behold the False Idol!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 08:25:01 AM »
The Original Idol will continue to be available.

Thanks to all for your input.

Offline tonyg.

• View Profile
Behold the False Idol!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 08:54:02 AM »
I was thinking of getting rid of my WI65Pro (European model, Korean made), but now I'll keep it as it is far better looking & spec'd than the LP copy replacing it!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:55:30 AM by tonyg. »
Washburn WI66ANC Evil Twin
Washburn WI65Pro Metallic Silver
Digitech GNX3000
Vox AD30VT

Offline oger5150

• View Profile
Behold the False Idol!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 03:35:49 AM »
What the hell. I heard that Washburn was bought out? Dont know but have certainly noticed online shops and the one local shop that carried washburns for years are either dropping there stock or not selling them no more. This p!sses me off what is going on? Glad I got My Idol 400 Pro and My 64 and bought my son a Black 45 before they go the way of Krammer guitars. Bought out by the big coporate jerks and relegated to nothingness...
Oger
Washburn D10
Washburn Idol 400 pro
Washburn Idol 64
Squier Custom Strat
Peavey HP Signature

Offline el_xero

• View Profile
Behold the False Idol!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 02:48:12 PM »
Hm I can't say that I like or dislike what I see here to be honest. I do know that I already own an Idol and since I'm not super rich there is little chance of me buying an other guitar very soon. I don't think they are marketing these to me or people like me who already bought one. They are looking at new cash inputs and they want to sell. I doubt that a petition will make a difference. After all how many Idols are we all going to buy?
Live Baby Live!