Username: Password:

Author Topic: Need replacement machine heads  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Reverendjim

• View Profile
Need replacement machine heads
« on: January 22, 2010, 06:36:05 PM »
I am desperately seeking a set of Grover tuners for my son's T25. The guy I got the bass from was someone who should have never been allowed to work on this guitar. Somehow he managed to break 2 of the 5 tuners and the B string isn't installed right and sticks out from the bridge about 1 1/2 inches.

I tried All Parts, Stew Mac...all of the outlets and nobody carries these in sets of 5. Can anyone give me some direction on how to get these tuners?
Holding down the bottom end since 1975

Offline auke

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 04:19:36 AM »
Hi there, desperate reverend,

You're so right: four-string basses are pretty hard to find these days, but the industry still only makes sets of four. Image how long it's gonna take before they will make sets of 7 tuners for guitars?
You may find the stuff you're looking for at Darren Riley's site. But one tuning machine extra will cost you! My idea would be: simply buy two sets of an less famous brand for some 60 dollars (does it really have to be Grover?). They probably won't last a lifetime, but then you'll have three spares that match perfectly, won't you?

Offline Reverendjim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 03:25:51 AM »
I think I may have solved the problem. Found what look to be Grovers and a set of Wilkinsons that may fit. Just waiting to hear back. Thanks for the response.
Holding down the bottom end since 1975

Offline dartony3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 05:14:01 PM »
Hi everyone,

I don't post hear often but after reading about your problem with the tuners I thought 'd add something. I have a limited production T35. It's basically a T25 with Seymour Duncan Basslines P/U and Gotoh tuners. I had the B string tuner break at the gear attachment inside the body of the tuner. I thought it odd at first then remebered my 2 year old knocking the T35 off the stand. I think that was the start of the failure. However, My tuners are supposed to be Gotoh's the guy I bought them from obviously replaced them with a knock off. So my question to you are your tuners supposed to be Grovers or Gotoh's?

I'm having a hard time trying to identify the tuner model so that I can replace the whole set with what should be the original kind. Washburn's customer service is terrible. I have asked them information about the model of the tuners all they did was send me to Allparts or StewMac. Then I sent them a picture of the broken tuner so that they could identify it. I got no response. You'd think they could email a PDF or something with the technical data for the guitars they have made. Guess not!!

I love the bass but because of the ineffective customer service I'll never own another.

Offline Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 07:35:25 AM »
I would think that the generic Gotoh type of tuner should work with these basses with no mods.  Wilkinson also makes a nice looking replacement that should be a direct fit, although some of their models have open gears.