Username: Password:

Author Topic: WI14 and WI15  (Read 4273 times)

Offline apache12

• View Profile
WI14 and WI15
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:56:39 AM »
I am looking to buy an inexpensive guitar for practices and rehearsals.

Has anyone got a WI14 or WI15?  If so, what do you think of it?

Apart from the stop tails are there any other differences in the two guitars?  The WI14 is a fair bit cheaper than the WI15 in the UK.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
WI14 and WI15
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by apache12

The WI14 is a fair bit cheaper than the WI15 in the UK.

There's more of a difference than the US list price would suggest, but I'd be tempted to pay the extra $25 for the nicer bridge setup.

2 EC29s, a KC90, G5-V and a whole load of Indies
<hr noshade size=1>
2 EC29s, RS10-V, RS8-V,  RR2-V, and a whole load of Indies

Offline Marty

• View Profile
WI14 and WI15
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:53:52 PM »
Ive had a WI14 now for years.Its a great guitar.Way better than any other in the price range.Holds tune and setup great.Anytime i go over to my friends house i take it.Cool to take outside with my micro cube.Plays and looks great.I like the neck also.

Offline apache12

• View Profile
WI14 and WI15
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 03:57:41 AM »
I ended up buying a WI15 mail order ....... and then sent it back as there was a little body damage on the edge.
My impressions?  The electrics were fine, controls quiet and smooth, neck was comfortable, and the finish was very good.
Flaws?  The top E string was buzzing on the 9th fret when string height and neck relief were set as I wanted them.  Close inspection showed that the fret had lifted slightly.  I would have put it back in place if the body damage had not meant the guitar was going back. Also the nut seemed rather high to me.  
The damage to the body was a small scrape that had caused the paint skin to peel back.  I do not know much about body finishes on guitars, but most of my guitars have had a 'hard' finish.  I fear the apparently 'softer' finish on the WI15 might not look so good if and when it picks up knocks.  I decided not to ask for a replacement for the WI15 as they did not have one in stock; so for now I am thinking again!

Offline Marty

• View Profile
WI14 and WI15
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 05:41:17 AM »
Nothing worse than fret problems on a new guitar.I got my 114 from musician friend 3 years ago.The first one i got had something wrong with the neck pickup so i sent it back.The next one was perfect and ive had it for 3 years now.Its the light blue color and even with the dings and scratches still to me looks good.

You should check ebay.They have the WI45 closeouts and are selling for 250.00 to 300.00.For a hundred more that the 114 /115 you can have a pro level guitar.