Username: Password:

Author Topic: Force 8 Bass  (Read 5654 times)

Offline Cherry13

• View Profile
Force 8 Bass
« on: February 02, 2010, 06:57:56 AM »
Hi,

I recently got left a Washburn force 8 Bass Serial No (842919)
unfortunately though im not really a player and know very little about guitars so was just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me any details about value, age, etc.
I am looking to sell it as i unfortunately have no usage for it other than a prop, so any information or recomendations on where is best to sell will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
Force 8 Bass
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 07:49:54 AM »
Hi again Cherry, the serial number on your bass indicates made in Japan 1984. You could try putting a few pics up if possible which would give the folk here a better idea of shape, condition etc.
Most of the guys use http://photobucket.com/ its free and relatively simple to use.
This way you may get an offer from a forum member or two. Other than that you could search Ebay for similar models and judge price from there. This section runs a bit slow so give it a day or two for answers. Good luck with the sale, and if all else fails put it on Ebay. If you do decide on the Ebay route, you could put a link here to give the faithful a heads up.
Just found this page, does it resemble this ?

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/washburn/catalogs/1985/pg4.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:03:23 AM by Cornish Boy »

Offline Cherry13

• View Profile
Force 8 Bass
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:03:59 PM »
hi,
http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac118/Adamcherry13/Bass/
this is the link to the pictures for the bass, please can you provide further details, and also if anyone is interested how much i can expect.

CHeers

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
Force 8 Bass
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:06:33 AM »
Hi, deffo made in Japan either Matsumoku or Yamaki Plants (Opinions Vary) 1984. It's hasn't got the same pickup configuation as the catalogue picture but that doesn't mean much. There are no precise records left for these basses as a fire at the offices destroyed them. Looks to be in reasonable condition, but the drawback (As with all old guitars) if anything needs replacing, it's hard to find. No idea of current value but wouldn't part with it myself for less than $150. If you go the Ebay route that's the reserve I would put on. Give it a few days maybe one of the faithful will be along with more info and perhaps an offer.

Edit. Just found a Force 8 neck on USA Ebay 120515112134 he wants $83 for it, so I will keep eyes open for whole bass and let you know price.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:50:51 AM by Cornish Boy »

Offline cegicyciwi

• View Profile
Re: Force 8 Bass
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 12:23:30 AM »
The guitar force 8 bass will never let you down on the purposes of the all guitars playing competitions. That was down servers and links of the essay writing site make it more comfortable after the bass of that linking works.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 04:38:38 PM »
Well, since the TROLL has seen fit to resurrect this zombie thread, I might as well comment.

I disagree about the year supposedly indicated in the s/n. Generally, ten-digit numbers use the first two digits for year & the next two for month, but I have seen two impossibilities, so grain-of-salt. Eight-digit numbers usually have a two-digit year, though I have seen the one-digit year.

Shorter numbers run out of room to be useful as serial numbers. If a six-digit s/n gave up its first four spaces for year/month, that would leave only TWO to count, so they'd only have been able to make 100 Washburns in that month, which seems unlikely. So, the first digit indicates year, & there may be no month counter.

Plenty of MIJ models used a four-digit s/n. I have no confidence in this as a year indicator; in one instance, the owner had a receipt showing that the s/n (taken literally) indicated it was built two years AFTER he bought it. :o Even if it appears acccurate, that means the vendor could only have counted 1,000 Washburns in the entire YEAR before repeating numbers.

The value of Force basses is all over the place. Like so many great Washburn models, they're mostly forgotten, so there's no demand, so prices collapse. A striking BBR Force 8 has been sitting on Reverb.com for 2+ years at $650; a Force 5 ABT can't catch $275.

FWIW, I've heard most Force are Daion/Yamaki; though I'm not yet fully convinced, I have to admit they've got some familiar design quirks.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline Mbechmann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 12:46:24 PM »
This Force 8 is interesting. It is indeed made in 1984, but its neither Yamaki or Matsomuko. Its made by Chushin using left over parts from Yamaki. And yes it is a part of the BBR series. Very cool. I like it.

The earlies Force we have seen was from 1983 and that would be right at the end of Yamaki (they moved from Suwa to Shiga in late 83). By early 1984 they went under.

And Tony, you are missing 1 point. Yamaki had a max production number of 1000 instruments pr month. About half of those were Acoustics using another style of serial numbers. That leaves 500 a month - split into Daion, Yamaki and Washburn. 4 digits was plenty enough for that.

So even though you might disagree, that doesnt change the fact that when it comes to these, the first 2 digits does tell the year. And let me guess. The one you talk about when it comes to the reciept was a Hohner or Lotus build by Moridaira?

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 02:13:52 AM »
If a six-digit serial number were to give up its first two digits to indicate year, that would indeed leave four digits -- 10,000 units -- for the entire year.

Note, however: there is no indicator of month, so claiming "500 a month" is impossible to substantiate & therefore imaginary.

If (as widely believed) there are two "year digits" followed by two "month digits," that leaves two serial digits, meaning that only 100 units -- yymm00 through yymm99 -- could be produced without repeating numbers.

If there is a single-digit year, then it has never been established whether the following TWO digits indicate month, or the following ONE digit indicates month somehow, though I have in the past pointed out that a very few industrial manufacturers were comfortable with a ten-"month" year).

Please specify which of these scenarios you are attempting to substantiate, & then stick with it.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 02:41:50 AM »
And let me guess. The one you talk about when it comes to the reciept was a Hohner or Lotus build by Moridaira?
Umm... hi? ???

This is a site concerned with Washburn guitars.

You might note from my signature that I own multiple Washburn guitars. The rest of my collection isn't listed, for what I hope is a glaringly obvious reason.

It wouldn't be too much of a leap to assume that I am specifically here speaking about Washburn guitars (though my 2005 Lyon has an eight-digit s/n, fwiw).

Point of comparison: Fender (including Squier) has apparently never had a "month digit," & didn't even indicate year until 1976. Epiphone's vendors have been shown to have used one- AND two-digit years (same year, same factory), & at least one doesn't use ANY month code.

To repeat myself, there is no good reason to believe that there is some "secret code" built into EVERY serial number -- it's NOT like a VIN.

Offline Mbechmann

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 08:49:56 PM »
And let me guess. The one you talk about when it comes to the reciept was a Hohner or Lotus build by Moridaira?
Umm... hi? ???

This is a site concerned with Washburn guitars.

You might note from my signature that I own multiple Washburn guitars. The rest of my collection isn't listed, for what I hope is a glaringly obvious reason.

It wouldn't be too much of a leap to assume that I am specifically here speaking about Washburn guitars (though my 2005 Lyon has an eight-digit s/n, fwiw).

Point of comparison: Fender (including Squier) has apparently never had a "month digit," & didn't even indicate year until 1976. Epiphone's vendors have been shown to have used one- AND two-digit years (same year, same factory), & at least one doesn't use ANY month code.

To repeat myself, there is no good reason to believe that there is some "secret code" built into EVERY serial number -- it's NOT like a VIN.

The reason I mention Moridaira is that they indeed used sn where the first 2 digits were not the year.

As for Washburn. You are sort of correct. You know more about Washburn than I do. In fact, I dont doubt that at all. But I am sorry to say, but I know more about Yamaki than you do :). Thats where my expertese comes in - with a little bit of a sidebonus info about other factories between 77-84.

So you might very well be correct about Washburns from other factories - and other production years - but for the Wings, Stage and Force series, the first 2 digits IS the year - and they were all made by Yamaki (between 77-84 as I mentioned before).

All of this is actually also why I wrote to you in a PM but you completely dismissed that without even checking the info. If you had done that, you would have know I am correct in this.