Username: Password:

Author Topic: D-64SW Timber Ridge Custom  (Read 3691 times)

Offline capnwes

• View Profile
D-64SW Timber Ridge Custom
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »
Hello there fellow Washburnians... I was interested to see the discussion on the early '80's Timber Ridge found in Chicago.  I have a 'Timber Ridge Custom' I bought new, but can't remember when. It looks a lot like the Timber Ridge in the pictures, but has what appears to be Maple binding, triangular wood (maple again?) position markers, a Mother of Pearl Washburn name inlay on the headstock and what looks like a wood-burned Won the maple(?) heel cap and Ovangkol back, sides and pickguard.  The serial number is 820387. Can any of you folks that are in the know give me an idea of whether this was an American built Washburn or a Yamaki-built re-logo?  

It's been a great companion, has amazing tone and projection and has always drawn compliments... I'd just like to know a little more about it and what value I should have it insured for.

Thanks for whatever help you might lend.

-Wes

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:47:57 PM »
Hi Wes, welcome to the forum. Yep, she's a Yamaki build. Unfortunately these guitars are undervalued. I have seen Prairie Song Customs (rosewood mate) go for 700 and up recently, but haven't seen a TR Custom for sale in a long time. Insure it for at least that, but if you lose it for any reason expect no more than book value (which doesn't show in my edition, although a Prairie Song (not custom version) goes for 500-575 in excelent condition. You could get a written appraisal that insurance would probably have to honor.

Offline capnwes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:19:29 AM »
Pike:

Thanks for the very fast response and the welcome to the forum... interesting to know that my guitar was built by Yamaki.  I have a good friend that I've palyed with for years and he has a Yamaki of bout the same vintage with rosewood back and sides... good sound, but the heaviest freaking accoustic dreadnaught I've ever hefted.  I played a Guild Jumbo F50R for a good number of years, and that Yamaki is almost as heavy!

BTW... I'm looking at getting a parlor-size guitar.  What's your take on the new Washburns?  I'm kind of put off by the show-off carving and mother of toilet seat inlay.  Have you held and played one?

Thanks again,

-Wes

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 01:12:02 AM »
I don't know much about the parlors, but from what I hear some are better than others. Post your request on the acoustic forum, guys there have them and will chime in.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 03:57:56 PM »
Welcome to the gang.  Would love to see some pics of your Timber Ridge!!