Username: Password:

Author Topic: nylon string acion  (Read 5708 times)

Offline bbr

• View Profile
nylon string acion
« on: December 17, 2009, 06:06:22 AM »
What is minimum acceptable action height for a nylon string guitar at 12th. fret?

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
nylon string acion
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:01:37 AM »
It varies by manufacturer, and to personal taste, but I believe a standard or ballpark figure is around 5/32 for the 6th string and 4/32 (1/8) for the 1st string.  Mine is close to this and works for me.

Mark

-------------------
Washburn W240
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
Washburn C10N Classical
Sivertone Model 319
Ibanez DCL St.Chorus 1985
Rocktron Compressor
DiMarzio Acoustic Pickup
Peavey Backstage Amp
Lots of Smiles ;)
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
nylon string acion
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:24:38 PM »
IMHO what you ought to be asking is What is the highest acceptable action height.....it's an old trick with the classical guitar, the higher the action, the more volume you get from the guitar (mainly b/c of the manner in which the strings are plucked on the classical compared to a steel-string guitar).

It is a phenomenon discovered in the 1970's by the consumer electronics industry.  Psychoacoustically (the manner in which the brain interprets sounds) louder sounds are interpreted as higher quality.  Those manufacturers who managed to market more efficient speakers (more SPL with the same electrical input) were routinely judged as better by listening panels.  When the SPL was adjusted for equality, the advantage often disappeared.

Fortunately, the strings on a classical guitar are much easier to play at a high action than those on a steel-string guitar.  You might think you'd get better playability with low action, but not really as long as your neck is straight.

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile & Guitar Playin' FOOL
Retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW and D61SW
Other fine/not so fine guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone Masterbilt (AJ500RC), Yamaha, and Hohner

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline greygoose625

• View Profile
nylon string acion
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
String action on a classical guitar.....a concert Rameriz has high action with a long scale so it won't buzz with volume.  If you're not performing concerts or using a sound system a lower action will work.  I use a low tension strings on my Rameriz with high acction and a normal tension strings on my Houser that has an average action......no buzz......but if you play flemenco use a high tension string with low action.  Not everybody has the same strenth or same size hand.....there is no magic measurement for the action on the 12th fret......bottom line is does it sound good......jane

Offline Blackdogxx

• View Profile
nylon string acion
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:28:01 AM »
I notice no one mentioned the nut slot depth. The comfort in playing is mostly felt at the lower frets; acoustic steel strings really make it evident! The '3rd fret test' is to press at fret 3 just past the 3rd fret toward fret 4. Look at and feel the gap between fret 2 or 1 under the string to the fret top. It should be felt but almost invisible (like a business card thickness).  At fret 12, I can set my classical guitars to 3/32 on the bass and about the same or a bit lower at the treble side. Remove material from the bottom flat side of the saddle and keep it true and straight. It's a job for a luthier if you do not have nut slot files and some skill and patience.