Username: Password:

Author Topic: YEE-HAW!!!! Ordered a C124SW!! (now with photos!)  (Read 13730 times)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
YEE-HAW!!!! Ordered a C124SW!! (now with photos!)
« on: February 12, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »
After searching in vain for months, I finally managed to locate a brand new C124SWK (the K indicates a case is included) online.  This is a very rare Washburn classical, and has a unique build to it.

The tonewoods are cedar over rosewood (Indian Rosewood, I'd assume, as it's almost impossible to source Brazilian these days). The unusual characteristics involve a floating arm-rest and a unique, three piece back...not at all like the DB steel-strings, just a very fine wedge of light colored wood running down the center of the back between the two pieces of rosewood.

All solid wood, of course, and to seal the deal I found it at an authorized Washburn dealer, so it'll carry the Washburn lifetime warranty.

I'll post photos soon as it arrives...probably 4 or 5 days from now.

'Till then....I remain.....[:D] [^] [:)] [:p] (all smiles!!)

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile & Guitar Playin' FOOL
Retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW and D61SW (C124SW on order!)
Other fine/not so fine guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone Masterbilt (AJ500RC), Yamaha, and Hohner

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:34:56 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
Congrats Dug!!

Comfy couch pics!

Washburn N2, Barracuda Strat Copy, Fender DG 10/12, Art & Lutherie Acoustic, Greg Bennet D-5 Acoustic,Rover RM-50B Mando

Duct tape is like the force. It has a dark side, a light side, and it holds the universe together. - Oprah

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 07:24:42 PM »
Knowing that you know what you know, can't wait for pics of the one you consider worthy. Congrats on the score!
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:29:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by luvmyshiner

Pics or it didn't happen dood!

Will certainly post photos, wouldn't want to be guilty of this sort of transgression:

.....er.....I mean.....I was younger then.......yeah, that's it....I was too young to know better.....honest, officer......Hey, take it easy....I know my rights......I'll sic my lawyer on you......(Help, Shiner!!!!!).....[:o)]

Dugly [8D]

The crew:
Other fine/not so fine guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone Masterbilt (AJ500RC), Yamaha, and Hohner

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 10:31:44 PM by YerDugliness »
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:47:56 AM »
Man, I thought about that one when I bought the C104SCE, but it wasn't in the budget!  I know you'll enjoy it - congrats!

-------------------
Washburn W240
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
Washburn C104SCE Classical
Washburn C10N Classical
Sivertone Model 319
Ibanez DCL St.Chorus 1985
Rocktron Compressor
DiMarzio Acoustic Pickup
Peavey Backstage Amp
Lots of Smiles ;)
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 12:43:17 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mcloud10

Man, I thought about that one when I bought the C104SCE, but it wasn't in the budget!  I know you'll enjoy it - congrats!

You know, Mark, the thing that motivated me to make the deal was that I was tired of traveling all over with the Hippner.....it's so expensive and unique that if it were ever really damaged or stolen, it'd be irreplaceable.  The Washburn will be a good quality, all solid wood classical that I can travel with.  At one point I thought I might leave it at my vacation/project home in SW KS, but that's probably a few years away......if at all.

I'm going to investigate putting a pickup in it....I like to play at open-mic nights (well, I don't really, but I seem to keep doing it anyway [:o)] ) and a classical is SO comfortable and expressive!  I've been using my Tak 2005 LTD, but it has a neck that, although comfortable, is just a tad too narrow for my taste.  Sure does sound good through the PA's, though....those Tak electronics are first rate!

I haven't gotten any sort of shipping notice yet, when I ordered it Friday evening the store owner wasn't sure he could get it into the hands of UPS on Friday....I suspect it's going to be delayed until Monday.

That's OK, it's not like I don't have anything to play, and after the long, torturous search, I'm not about to rush things....good things are worth waiting for.

Cheers from one happy.......

Dugly [8D]

The crew:

Offline stansanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »
Congratulations on your find. Don't suppose your source had two! I am envious.

Haven't been monitoring the forum for some time - too many irons in the embers.

Here's hoping you find the C124SW everything you (and I) want it to be!
Stan Sanderson
C80S
Old, cracked Ovation 1113-4
trying to play since the 1960s

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 05:49:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stansanderson

Congratulations on your find. Don't suppose your source had two! I am envious.

Stan, knowing that this model is in short supply and that you were looking for one, I actually asked the source that very question....he didn't have any more, sadly.

I have a suggestion....send WB-Nick an email.....before he went to China, I asked if he had any way to find a particular Washburn product among his many authorized dealers and he said he could.  There may be more out there......if anyone can find out, Nick can!

Good luck in your search.....the only way I found mine was to keep doing Google searches and checking eBay every day.  Gotta watch those Google searches, though...most of the online dealers who said they had the C124SW in stock did NOT actually have the item in stock, and of course they are not making this model any more.  I finally found the one I ordered on eBay....it didn't sell during the auction so I contacted the seller directly.

Speaking of difficult to find Washburn C models, try finding a C124SWCE model.....only 12 ever made, Nick told me where some of them went, but I have no idea if they still have them or not.

Cheers from Doug!

Dugly [8D]

The crew:

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 07:37:04 PM »
Looks like it left Hodgkins, IL today at 11:30 AM....

....will post further updates as the trip proceeds (as if anyone else could really care, but I'm so excited I have to do SOMETHING [:o)] )

Dugly [8D]

The crew:

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 07:53:47 PM »
quote:
but I'm so excited

I know how you feel! Agony, isn't it?

Washburn N2, Washburn F10S (En-Route)
I've got some other stuff too.. Everything from guitars to a Balalaika.

Leader/President/CEO of RYLANDIA.
Also known as the vintage Washburn section

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 08:48:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Junior88

I know how you feel! Agony, isn't it?

Yes....apparently UPS is torturing me now [xx(] ...no updates.  Usually UPS updates as the package is transferred from truck to truck at various locations, but right now all they say is In Transit-On Time.  Scheduled delivery this Friday, 2/19.....

Dugly [8D]

The crew:

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »
Well, it arrived about an hour ago....very well done, nice wood bindings (none of that ivoriod plastic stuff), I'm letting it sit in the case right now (the price included a nicely fitted archtop hardshell case) so there won't be any issues with finish cracking. The finish is high-gloss.  I'll get some photos up tomorrow sometime, have to crawl into the attic to retrieve the digital camera (at least that's where I HOPE it is!).

So far it doesn't seem to be the equal to the Hippner, but at 20% of the price it's definitely a bargain!!!

All in all, I'm quite pleased so far.  I did tune it up, but didn't take time to play it any, just wanted to get the neck tensioned up.

More tomorrow!

Dugly [8D]

The crew:

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
It's tomorrow.  No pics! :p

-------------------
Washburn W240
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
Washburn C10N Classical
Sivertone Model 319
Rocktron Compressor
DiMarzio Acoustic Pickup
Peavey Backstage Amp
Lots of Smiles ;)
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »
OK, so here we go [:D] ...before I start, I must apologize for the high glare in many of the photos...my digital camera doesn't have a way to turn off the flash and so you'll see a lot of glare.  Vertical photos are most likely off center...I dropped the camera onto a tiled floor and now the screen on the back is nothing but black and white and crack marks, so I must attempt to compensate for the misalignment of the viewfinder and the camera's lens...not so good at that, yet [:I] !

Here's a photo of the nice archtop case that the SWK (K means with a case) package includes:

The case is lockable...a nice feature:

Here's a shot in the case, a very nice, tight fit (drop it in the cavity and you can hear the air whoosh as the guitar gently settles to the bottom:

I've tried to rotate the vertical photos so that they are actually vertical, let's see if I was successful:

Here's a shot of the upper bout/soundhole/rosette--I think the rosette was quite well done, better than any of my other Washburns:

And a head-on shot of the head, nicely carved, I think:

Washburn surprised me here...they spent some money on the machine heads, these are very high quality (again, my apologies for the glare):

...and now the backside (I am partial to laminated necks, they seem to be much less susceptible to warping over time):

...and the back, itself:

Notice how nicely Washburn bound the edges, the heel of the neck, as well as the hint of a wedge down the back:

Close-ups of the wedge as it proceeds down the back:

and on to the heel of the guitar:

and continuing on the heel (notice the nice bindings surrounding the accent piece):

And what photo review would be complete without a photo of the tonewoods...the East Indian Rosewood on the sides:

...and the back:

and a shot of the cedar soundboard, as well as the nicely done bridge (I don't know if the saddle is bone or plastic, will perform that test soon as I change out the strings, for now I'm having a ball playing it just as is):

I intend to take some decent closeups soon...need to locate my tripod and perhaps fire up the digital camera with higher definition capabilities.  Feel free to ask questions, ask for photos of any particular part as you feel the need and I'll do what I can to accommodate you.

Soundwise, it is developing...the nylon strings are still stretching in and it goes out of tune quickly, but as they reach critical tension I suspect the tone will develop even further.  For the price I paid ($699 delivered, with case) I'm very satisfied and think this was a heck of a deal.  No, it won't take the place of my Hippner, but it wasn't meant to do that, only to give me a well made, all solid-wood classical guitar with which I could feel comfortable traveling, camping, visiting friends away from home, that sort of thing.

Cheers!

Dugly [8D]

The crew:
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW. D61SW, and C124SW

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:36:53 PM by YerDugliness »

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »
Nice!  Thanks for the pics.  So...can you play Malaguena yet? :)

Mark

-------------------
Washburn W240
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
Washburn C10N Classical
Sivertone Model 319
Rocktron Compressor
DiMarzio Acoustic Pickup
Peavey Backstage Amp