Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn info from Jim Smith...  (Read 22432 times)

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Washburn info from Jim Smith...
« on: February 12, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »
Misinformation about Washburn acoustic guitars abounds.......the information that follows should be useful to buyers and sellers alike, who are unfamiliar with the Washburn acoustic guitar line.
1} Washburn acoustic guitars made before the 2nd World War were made by various USA builders.

2} The Washburn trade name was NOT USED on musical instruments from 1939 to 1973.....period!  If someone states that he  has a 1968 Washburn acoustic for sale....he's misinformed!

3} In 1974, Beckmen Musical Instruments bought the Washburn tradename and began importing guitars from Japan, to sell in the USA.

4} All...All....All.... Washburn acoustic guitars made between 1974 and 1993 were IMPORTED { from various foreign vendors}.......period!  If someone states that he has a 1989 Washburn acoustic for sale....that was made in the USA.....he's misinformed!

5} Most Washburn acoustic guitars imported between 1974 and 1996 were of very good to excellent quality.....they were as well made or... better made than their American counterparts.

6} From 1994 to 2001, there are only 10 known Washburn acoustic models built in the USA....they are:

D-43...2nd. version 1994-97....made by Tacoma USA... for Washburn *

D-46 S Cheyenne...................made by Tacoma USA...for Washburn

D-47 S Navajo.......................made by Tacoma USA...for Washburn

D-48 SW Comanche..............made by Tacoma USA...for Washburn

R-310 K................................made by Tacoma USA...for Washburn

D-51 SW Apache..................made by Bourgeois USA...for Washburn

D-55 SW Cherokee...............made by Bourgeois USA...for Washburn

D-56 SW Savannah...............made by Bourgeois USA...for Washburn

D-96 SW Paramount.............made by Bourgeois USA...for Washburn

R-312 K Presentation............made by Bourgeois USA...for Washburn

All other Washburn acoustic guitar models made from 1994 to 2001 were imported......period!

7} In late 2001, a new line of  made in the USA acoustics was introduced by Washburn....this line has since been discontinued. {D-78 SW....D-80 SW...D-82 SW and the D-84 SW}....although the new line of Washburn acoustics were well made....lack of consumer interest and little or no profit margin in the product line led to its demise.

8} The quality of the Washburn imported acoustic models has dropped dramatically since 2000.....they're just not as well made as their 1974-1996 predecessors....

Information for this guide was provided by American Multimedia Studios....owner of the most comprehensive contemporary collection of Washburn Acoustic Guitars in the world and a foremost authority on the Washburn acoustic product line.  For more information on Washburn Acoustic Guitars and American Multimedia Studios go to:

http//www.americanmstudios.com

*{estimated 100 of these were built in late 1994 to early 1995, but stickers not applied to some units until 1996 and early 1997}

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »
Thanks Pike, that's some great stuff. It deserves a locked sticky IMHO.

Whenever you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however  improbable, must be the Truth .... Sherlock Holmes

I got some fiddles, guitars,a bouzouki, a piano and some other stuff.
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Online Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:26:30 PM »
Informative post Pike, great info once again. A big thanks to Jim Smith and americanmstudios also.

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »
Nice and simple....and direct.....no more speculation....lol....thanks Pike

Offline radenshirinji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:43:29 PM »
If no Washburn trade name was used from 1939 to 1973, does that means that Washburn did not manufacture any guitars during those period?

Offline glaubdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:13:21 PM »
sir i have a washburn SD-100 serial number835250...no body knows anything about this very rare guitar,it was said that this was a guitar that washburn got seued over cause it has a leaf on the top like an ovation,i can email you pict you wont beleave how nice this guitar is .i am wanting to sell it but nobody including washburn can tell me anything about it..glaubdavid @yahoo.com
quote:
Originally posted by Pike

Misinformation about Washburn acoustic guitars abounds.......the information that follows should be useful to buyers and sellers alike, who are unfamiliar with the Washburn acoustic guitar line.
1} Washburn acoustic guitars made before the 2nd World War were made by various USA builders.

2} The Washburn trade name was NOT USED on musical instruments from 1939 to 1973.....period!  If someone states that he  has a 1968 Washburn acoustic for sale....he's misinformed!

3} In 1974, Beckmen Musical Instruments bought the Washburn tradename and began importing guitars from Japan, to sell in the USA.

4} All...All....All.... Washburn acoustic guitars made between 1974 and 1993 were IMPORTED { from various foreign vendors}.......period!  If someone states that he has a 1989 Washburn acoustic for sale....that was made in the USA.....he's misinformed!

5} Most Washburn acoustic guitars imported between 1974 and 1996 were of very good to excellent quality.....they were as well made or... better made than their American counterparts.

6} From 1994 to 2001, there are only 10 known Washburn acoustic models built in the USA....they are:

All other Washburn acoustic guitar models made from 1994 to 2001 were imported......period!

7} In late 2001, a new line of  made in the USA acoustics was introduced by Washburn....this line has since been discontinued. {D-78 SW....D-80 SW...D-82 SW and the D-84 SW}....although the new line of Washburn acoustics were well made....lack of consumer interest and little or no profit margin in the product line led to its demise.

8} The quality of the Washburn imported acoustic models has dropped dramatically since 2000.....they're just not as well made as their 1974-1996 predecessors....

Information for this guide was provided by American Multimedia Studios....owner of the most comprehensive contemporary collection of Washburn Acoustic Guitars in the world and a foremost authority on the Washburn acoustic product line.  For more information on Washburn Acoustic Guitars and American Multimedia Studios go to:

*{estimated 100 of these were built in late 1994 to early 1995, but stickers not applied to some units until 1996 and early 1997}

Offline dhgillis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 11:20:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Pike

Offline dhgillis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:22:17 PM »
Hi...seeking info on my new Washburn Electric Acoustic Model #47SCE...Serial # SC02051049.  Any history and value would be appreciated. Thanks Dan

Offline Bigdogjer

• View Profile
Re: Washburn info from Jim Smith...
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
Hello, all
I just purchased a Washburn wd760sw from zz sounds (GAS attack)  for a very good price.
This is my first Washburn but I thought I's take a flyer because of the guitars specs (all solid woods, cedar top ovangal back and sides. I got it today and first impression is that this is a vefry good sounding guitar.
It is oluder than my two pride and joys, Taylor DN3 and Alvarez md60. I'm not saying I'd trade either of those for this one, but I'm glad I got it.
I know it is an import, but it seems a fairly quality build. It was well set up out of the box.
Has anyone had any experience with these?
It was tagged that it shipped with D'Addario strings. I wish they would have stated which kind and what string width/tension. I am assuming they are lights, but the guitar booms like they have mediums on it.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Look in the FAQ section:
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »
Here is info from Washburn's FAQ section regarding the strings:

Acoustic Guitar

Light Gauge
.012 High E
.016 B
.024 G
.032 D
.042 A
.053 Low E

I'm going with .011-.052's when I restring my WMJ11S.

Cheers from.....
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE, WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Bigdogjer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 04:38:13 PM »
Thanks, D!

Offline Ripple

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:36:09 PM »
I Tried one of those at NAMM last year and thought it the best sounding of that years line
Washburn D26S Washburn D60SW  Washburn F15 Alvarez Yairi DYK75P American Standard Srat Buffet R13

Offline muso777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 01:14:17 PM »
Hi Mike, Congrats on a stunning collection, Please can you or anyone out there give me any info regarding a Washburn DC-82 i have bought it and it's on it's way, i can't find any info about this guitar anywhere, the guy says he bought it in the States 5 years ago, thats all i know, The pic looked great abalone, edges & soundhole, " moustache" bridge, snowdrop markers natural finish, i don't know if its a solid top or laminate .?have i done well or not ? i paid £100.any info would be really helpful Please help. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:16:20 PM by muso777 »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 03:56:30 PM »
Welcome. Well I cant believe but even Goggle pulled a blank.  LOL.  Hopefully someone with a book can help you.   Tom. :)

Offline DreevesTex1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »
I have a Washburn Model 200 Serial No. 130273; Made in Japan.  It has BMI inc at the top of the neck.  Does anyone have any info?  I have had this guitar since I was in eight grade (I am 51 now)