Username: Password:

Author Topic: WI45,WI66  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Marty

• View Profile
WI45,WI66
« on: February 17, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »
Hi everyone.This is my first post so heres a little about me.

Im 39 and have been playing guitar for as long as i can remember.I have 6 guitars all imports my Favorite is My Reverend Volcano.

I just got a WI45 in trans red today and love it.The guitar is awesome.Even My volcano needed setup work when i fist got it.The WI45 is perfect out of the box and i bought it from a EBAY store that sells the guitars from the factory.

Im thinking of selling a few of my guitars to pick up another washburn.How does the WI66 compare to the 45 other than the pickups?
is it a better made guitar?

I live in a small town and i wont be able to play first so my next guitar depends on you guys answers.Also if its cool to ask where do you guys buy your washburns from online?

How do i go about getting the WARRANTY started for my new wi45.It was bought new and the dealer said it comes with the full warranty?

Thanks Everyone.

Offline wully

• View Profile
WI45,WI66
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:35:20 AM »
hi,

I'm looking to buy a washburn idol, too. i've tried a trans red wi45 and loved it. I'm selling a few bits and pieces, and if all goes well, I might have enough to buy a wi66.

I know the wi66 has seymours. Does it have better woods? Do washburn officionado's rate the seymours over the randall's. i guess they 'probably should' be 'better'...
 I not gonna be able  to try both guitars side by side, so why is the '66 worth that bit more?

thanks!

btw, didn't mean to hijack your post, but a little bump never hurts, right? and we're both asking the same questions...

Offline Marty

• View Profile
WI45,WI66
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:30:28 AM »
Hi.My local music store just got in a gold top wi66 (the one with p90s)and a tobacco burst with SDs

The tops looked alot better on the Wi66.The SDs just sound awesome in this type guitar to me alot better than the randalls.After playing them im allready looking for a white or cream set to put in my wi45.

The wi66 and wi45 seem to be the same guitar other than the tops and pickup.If you look at just the back of the two you would have to guess what was what.Not really hard to believe The wi45 sold for only a little less than the wi66 not long ago.I think washburn isnt making them anymore is the reason everyone is selling them cheap now.But that im not sure about...

I dont think to many ppl post here anymore but Ive found some really good info on these boards And a couple of great reviews on the wi45 so just look around here for more info.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
WI45,WI66
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:53:22 AM »
Marty, where are you that you have a store bringing in new Washburn Idols? Are there other NEW Washburns also?

Next time you go in to look at these, check the headstock for country of origin and when they were made (first digits of the SN)

I'm wondering if you are seeing NOS or brand new Indonesian. That surprises me that you notice a stark difference in top quality between a new WI-45 and a new WI-66, and I wonder if you might be seeing old Korean stock? Just speculating.

I agree about the Duncans in these. VERY cool tones.

I've been eyeballing the reverends, seem like cool guitars.

wully - I agree, seems like a steep price jump for a set of p'ups. But Jon at Funky Munky (online and brick distributor of washies) knows his stuff and he says that's basically it....That's why Marty's market research is so cool. If his -45 and the -66 he's looking at in the stores are same general vintage and country of origin, and one is markedly better than the other, that's important info.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45,WI66
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:58:16 AM »
Here's what FunkyMunky said last May when I was shopping around. I went for the WI45 and am pleased.

quote:
Originally posted by funkymunky

before you purchase the 66, take a good long look at the WI45

it is essentially the same guitar with RANDALL pickups (which actually sound great)

the WI45 is the sleeper guitar in the line!

they range from $499 to $549 depending on color

seriously, look at one of them

thin fast necks, Buzz Feiten, etc.

there is no money above the 5th fret..........but its a great place to hang out

Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
WI45,WI66
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:12:51 AM »
I wonder if it's something of a marketing issue with Seymour Duncan, in other words, SD won't allow there p'ups to be marketed on something at a certain price point, and Washburn in turn offers the same guitar with different p'ups wired in it for a chunk less, enabling them to move more bodies, and maintain the SD mystique in the market. The SD pups NEW are less than $150.00 for the pair! Not that much of an upgrade IMHO.

Jon's proven himself legit, about service first, not just moving product. If there were more to it, I think he'd know, and share.

When are you gonna post a sound clip of some RHCP, Chris?

'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Marty

• View Profile
WI45,WI66
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 03:23:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Tio Kimo

Marty, where are you that you have a store bringing in new Washburn Idols? Are there other NEW Washburns also?

Next time you go in to look at these, check the headstock for country of origin and when they were made (first digits of the SN)

I'm wondering if you are seeing NOS or brand new Indonesian. That surprises me that you notice a stark difference in top quality between a new WI-45 and a new WI-66, and I wonder if you might be seeing old Korean stock? Just speculating.

I agree about the Duncans in these. VERY cool tones.

I've been eyeballing the reverends, seem like cool guitars.

wully - I agree, seems like a steep price jump for a set of p'ups. But Jon at Funky Munky (online and brick distributor of washies) knows his stuff and he says that's basically it....That's why Marty's market research is so cool. If his -45 and the -66 he's looking at in the stores are same general vintage and country of origin, and one is markedly better than the other, that's important info.

Im in columbus ga but the music store that has the idols is in atlanta.little over a hour drive.The top on the tobacco burst did look better.The flames just seemed to jump off the guitar.Could have been an old stock.My friend that went with me bought a brand new usa peavey limited and i think it was the one they made in the 80s before the wolf gang i reamber reading about them years ago in the guitar mags.

Yes they had a couple more idols but they were the low end ones.

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
WI45,WI66
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 04:40:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Marty
The top on the tobacco burst did look better.The flames just seemed to jump off the guitar.Could have been an old stock.

Do you think this was about quality, or just a finish that shows off the wood more?

Nice that you can actually walk into a store and try a couple. Was this a big box that we all know and love? I ask because so many folks will tell you they just don't see new Washburn electrics hanging on shop walls very often.

'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Thanos Idol-o-latris

• View Profile
WI45,WI66
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 02:33:46 PM »
so the WI66 IS the WI45 on steroids then..?(pickup-wise,since evrything else is(?)the same..)

is there anyone to shed any light to this..?

I was about to buy the honeyburst version of the WI66,but then I already have the honeyburst version of WI45

what should I do guys?is buying the WI66 really like having the WI45 upgraded with SDs..?I couldn't risk be called a dumbass by buying the same guitar twice,even for the sake of having two very cool yet very different sounds!(Randalls vs SDs)..I could go for something different(although the Randalls are way different in my ears than the SDs,but still,for what's worth..)

so the original question remains:any differences between the WI45 and the WI66 besides the pickups..???

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
WI45,WI66
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 10:43:12 PM »
in the current lineup, if both guitars are of the same vintage, the difference is electronics.

However, if you're looking at an older -66, some would say the build quality of the Korean builds are higher. I think that is about the only difference.

Now, different types of p'ups create a different sounding guitar. A goldtop LP with PAF's and a goldtop LP with P90's sound much different. there are guys who love the randalls and the SD have a solid rep, and sound different. I wouldn't say you're a dumbass to have different sonic versions of a guitar you love. Price is definately a factor. If you could buy a -45, and upgrade the p'ups for less than it costs for a -66, do it.

tell us about the 45. What kind of music you using it for? How long have you had it? What else have you played?
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Thanos Idol-o-latris

• View Profile
WI45,WI66
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »
Thank you for your reply Tio!You certainly helped me get rid of my unresolved issues!I was pretty much sure that the difference between those 2 was in electronics,I mean,it takes a 3rd grader to take the MSRP of WI45,then take the MSRP of the SDs that are found in the WI66,then make out the MSRP of WI66!but I was looking for some reassuring.. ;)

..now if I am right they do differ,them too,in terms of where they are built. my WI45 says it is made in Indonesia,and I hear people say that the WI66 is made in Korea,so to my eyes and IMO they DO differ!

I am aware of how different the same guitar sounds with different p'ups,as I found myself experimenting a lot trying to coax new sounds from old guitars by changing the electronics every two years or so.

but in my getting to know Washburn as a guitar company and joining it's wealth of players,I think I got stuck with the unique incomparable beast-of-a-guitar that is THE IDOL!I once tried the red WI200 in the local musicstore,and I didn't expect miracles to happen from a budget guitar like that,but alas my friends!the ease of playing,the response to my playing style from the guitar,the sound I was getting from these Randalls..phew!I then did a selfreflecting approach on what my current level of playing needed model-wise,so I settled for the WI45,and man I was so right!that guitar was right at home with me,and so now I am an Idol addict,so to say!I have had it for the past 5 months and now I go on to complete the WI45 series by buying,practically,the same guitar in all its other colours..and I was going all the way to the WI66s when the question was posted above. but now it all seems well,I can totally continue purchasing Idols,until at least the custom shop reopens and I get my hands on a badass USA one!

closing up,I have to say,and I am sorry for,that I am going to play only Idols from washburn,as I tried alot of other guitars from them,but they just don't sit well with me. as a guitarist I am way beyond electronics and fretwoods and stuff,I can play anything and make it sound just like me every time,so I need an instrument to just sit well with me,so Idol all the way for me!!for like,forever!

..oh and music genre-wise,I play everything!like,call it music,then I play it!

foo,sorry for the length of my post guys!I am off to regearsal now,and if my bandmates make fun of me for getting the same guitar twice(little would they know that the p'ups would be different)I have a middlefinger to raise and show! ;)))))))))

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
WI45,WI66
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 08:48:48 PM »
Thanos,
Glad the -45 is sitting so well with you.

I need to clarify one point however. Currently, the -45 and the -66 are built in Indonesia. My point was that OLDER -66's were being built in Korea (I believe that changed in '08, but I could be wrong)

If you were to buy new, you would be getting an Indo built. Some folks with first hand knowledge have stated that the Korean builds were a bit better than the Indo's. I have not played an Indo Idol, but I own a Korean -67.

So WI66 does NOT necessarily mean Korean built.

But you own an Indo build, and love it, and you're not the only one. From what I've read, everyone who's gone for a -45 has been happy.

Enjoy! And how about some pictures?
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline jeffy

• View Profile
WI45,WI66
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
I have a WI64 idol,a light ash Tele,three Reverends and a Parker,all Korean. My Oscar Schmidt OM30 is Indonesian. I'll alway recommend a hands-on evaluation whenever possible,but I've had great success with import guitars. I still think price point is a better indicator of quality than point of origin. In this case,both guitars seem to be very comparable in quality,regardless of where they were built,so I say go for the one that excites you the most...