Username: Password:

Author Topic: HM24V neck specs?  (Read 4349 times)

Offline imfastrnu2

• View Profile
HM24V neck specs?
« on: February 18, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »
Does anyone know what the neck specs are for the HM24V? I prefer a slim neck like Ibanez but I couldn't find the information on the Washburn site. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline WB-Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com
HM24V neck specs?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »
Do you mean WM24V?  If so, they are very similar to Ibanez.  About 17mm at the 1st fret and about 19mm at the 12th.  That's the spec anyway but i've seen them vary a little.

Offline imfastrnu2

• View Profile
HM24V neck specs?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 03:43:05 PM »
Perfect!

yeah sorry, WM24V (hm-series)

Do you happen to know the neck radius? I have to sell my Ibanez RG2550Z and it has a great neck that I'd like to come close to spec-wise on a less expensive guitar. That one has a 430mm radius.

Offline Bloodrose

• View Profile
HM24V neck specs?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:58:34 PM »
The neck on these are amazing!  I have an RG570. The WM24v It's thin but doesnt give me wrist cramps like the RG does. And the slick fretboard makes bending a breeze..

Offline imfastrnu2

• View Profile
HM24V neck specs?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:10:11 AM »
Bloodrose,
Since you have both an Ibanez and a Washburn how would you compare them? Is the Washburn roughly as thin and flat?
Sadly I have to part with my Ibanez and honestly, that is probably the best neck I've ever played on..it's flat, thin and incredably fast. Someone like yourself who has played both could probably give me a good idea how they compare. Thank!

Offline imfastrnu2

• View Profile
HM24V neck specs?
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:38:33 AM »
Just a little FYI for anyone who cares. I got an email back from customer support at Washburn at the neck dimensions are
Thickness: 17mm at fret one and 19mm at fret 12. Also the neck radius is 12. They did not provide the width at the first and last fret.

Offline Bloodrose

• View Profile
HM24V neck specs?
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:56:11 AM »
Well, in honesty my RG is in storage, so I cant do a side by side right now. But working from memory, I would say the board feels as flat and the neck feels VERY similar. My gut tells me the neck is just alittle bit thicker in the palm, but just a tiny bit that makes it much more comfy and easier on the wrist.  I HATE HATE HATE thick ball bat necks!  To let you know where Im coming from.  Ive had guys tell me a neck is comfy and its a ball bat.. So, Im saying it may be alil bit more, but a miniscule amount.
 I measured the neck.  width at the nut is 1 5/8 and at the other end its 2 1/8.
 Only way to know is to try em.   I love mine!

Offline imfastrnu2

• View Profile
HM24V neck specs?
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
I think I'm gonna go for it...
When I compare the specs, the necks are nearly identical with the exception of the radius, the Ibanez having a very flat 17 radius as opposed to the Washburns 12. The widths, thickness, scale and fret count are right in line with each other.
The electronics are undoubtably better in the Ibanez with it's Dimarzio pickups and the tremolo is probably better, having the Edge zero...but it's also twice the price. And, unfortunately, I have to sell the Ibanez because my wife wants a new matress (yeah, I know [B)]) But I still want to replace it with at least as comfortable a neck...the other stuff can be upgraded (secretly of course [:D] ).

Offline Bloodrose

• View Profile
HM24V neck specs?
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »
Yeah, exactly!  The WM24v are most like a secret sin.  Its like so few know about them and they are so good for the price.  I got mine for $299!  The stock pups are pretty good for metal.  But yeah, upgrade the pups when you can..  I hear you.  got a guitar hating wife and 5 kids, so that means NO gear budget.   I put a Duncan Alternate 8  and Jazz in mine and its a monster!!

Let us know how it goes!