Username: Password:

Author Topic: WG2S Parlour  (Read 8247 times)

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »
Per Pike's suggestion, I'm posting some pics of my WG2S here. I bought this one in Saint John, NB, Canada. The only others I have heard about have been in Canada, UK and South America. I have a beautiful blue hardshell case that came with mine but most folks seem not to have gotten cases and cannot find 'em.

The information about my guitar and those of some other forum members is in a WG2S Parlour guitar (Acoustic) thread in the Show Us Your Washburn section. If memory serves, I was told at the time I bought it (2001 or 2002) that it was a limited edition of 300.

Anyway, here are the pics. If you want some bigger, better ones, let me know.

Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:05:15 PM »
Sexy! What kind of wood on the back?

Washburn N2, Washburn F10S (En-Route)
I've got some other stuff too.. Everything from guitars to a Balalaika.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:13:16 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Junior88

That would be ash---very dense, hard and heavily grained. Makes a great box, not so good as a soundboard b/c of its rigidity.  Is that soundboard cedar, Chris?

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile & Guitar Playin' FOOL
Retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW. D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine/not so fine guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone Masterbilt (AJ500RC), Yamaha, and Hohner

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:18:01 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

quote:
Originally posted by Junior88

That would be ash---very dense, hard and heavily grained. Makes a great box, not so good as a soundboard b/c of its rigidity.  Is that soundboard cedar, Chris?

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile & Guitar Playin' FOOL
Retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW. D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine/not so fine guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone Masterbilt (AJ500RC), Yamaha, and Hohner

Yup. Basically everything I have ever found out about this guitar is in this thread:

http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14777

I left out a couple of close-up pics of soundboard grain and binding detail because the pics are big and give you that pain of having to scroll across to read posts. I'll pop those into a separate WG2S thread in this area with suitable warning in the title.
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline nice

• View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Hi cedwards! If u allow me, i´d like to add my pics on this topic!

Regards

Offline WB-Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:19:06 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Pike

Awesome guitar Chris! Man, I'd love to find one of those...

If you are serious, send me an email.  They might have some in Canada.

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 10:59:36 AM »
That will REALLY eff up your wall theme Pike!

Washburn N2, Washburn F10S

Official Ambassador to all new Junior Members (U-17)

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 01:59:25 PM »
Well, if you don't like it, i'll always give a rejected guitar a good home [;)]

How to you like that other new one you just got?

Washburn N2, Washburn F10S

Official Ambassador to all new Junior Members (U-17)

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:05:32 PM »
So Pike asked for a review of the WG2S. First of all, nice pics, Nice. Yours do way better justice -- and show detail far better -- than mine. Some day I'll get it with cameras but, to me, playing guitar is more fun.

Got my WG2S in 2001 or 2002 in Saint John, NB, Canada for CDN$450, including a high quality, plush-interior blue Washburn logo HSC. Built by Samick, China, 2001. I was told, at the time of buying, that this was a limited edition of, I think, 350.

Here's basic info from another thread (thanks, Scott18):

Bracing: Std X
Top material: Solid cedar
Back: Ash
Sides: Ash
Shape and depth: Grand concert: 270 & 388mm, 490mm long 85 & 95 thick
Radius: 320mm
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Neck: Mahogany?
Tuners: Gold plated Grover 18:1

I did some of my own, fairly imprecise measurements (not a caliper kinda guy):
Neck width at nut - 1 3/4
Neck length from nut to soundhole - 17 3/4
Width across upper bouts - 10 5/3
Depth at upper bouts - 3 1/2
Width across lower (aft) bouts - 15 1/4
Depth at lower (aft) bouts - 3 3/4
String height, 12th fret = 1/8
String height, front of bridge - 7/16
Neck depth (including fingerborad at 1st and 10th frets - 3/4

I've had this guitar for close to 10 years. This is the guitar that, after years of struggling with inferior guits (a Canadian-made Lys that daughter broke but I do intend to rehabilitate and an Ibanez VM300), finally opened me up to playing for real. Although this is a fingerstyle guitar, I only do some of that and not all that well. However, this has served me wonderfully as my main strummin' acoustic for a long time now.

It is a beautifully appointed guitar for its price point and the workmanship, to my untutored eye, seems very good. No finish flaws of any kind. Fatter (jumbo?) frets than the D10 and they are well-dressed. As you can see from the measurements above, her highly playable gloss finish neck is very shallow. The tuners are great and this guitar holds tune forever, including after hiding in her case for weeks from the Winter dry out.

This guitar is bright in the trebles (Dugly suggests that's the cedar soundboard) and, considering her size, does not give away much on the bottom end. I've played along with my buddy's full dread Simon and Patrick for years and have never felt in the least bit thin. Rather, I get a crispness and clarity that cuts through.

So I just spent a few minutes playing this side-by-side with my D10SCE. Hopefully, that will give a comparison baseline that people here can appreciate. I use Martin SP+ 20/80 bronze lights (.12-.54 on both guitars). Yes, the D10 does have a somewhat fuller bass presence but, again, the WG2S does not seem thin at all by comparison: just not quite as big. The JM300S, of course, is that much bigger again.

On the other hand, I have noted elsewhere that the WG2S loves to ring out and that is a palpable difference in the side-by-side comparison. I measured it by winding both guits up on a GM,D, CM7 progression and, then, letting them ring on a final CM7. The WG2S rings her harmonics for fully an additional 2-3 seconds over the D10 (approx. 10 secs vs. 7-8 secs). I have a large empty hardwood-floored room downstairs that offers a great, big acoustic environment. There have been a couple of times now when my buddy and I have finished one of our rowdier songs and the ringing harmonics that poured out from this guitar after the last chord just took my breath away. He heard it too - big grins!

The WG2S has a higher, more normal acoustic action than the D10, which pretty much plays like an electric. Certainly, that makes the D10 somewhat easier on the left hand fretting pressure. It also means that, while designed for fingerstyle, the WG2S responds better to a heavy strum than the D10. The D10 demands fairly gentle play and gets to buzzin' if you get rough at all. The WG2S responds to a thrashing by just ringing more and more.

I haven't had a set-up done on the WG2S in a long time and I owe her one. Having said that, no issues. I got a bit of a buzz in the very dry months two years ago but that resolved itself with proper humidity and I haven't heard it since. I did note, in another thread, some slight raising aft of the bridge. I'm not the only one who sees that but, from what I can tell, it's a feature of the guitar, possibly when new (though I didn't notice it then) or possibly as she ages. In any case, it's very subtle and, certainly it is not a problem; more like a womanly maturity.

I bought this guitar because I fell in love, first, with the looks (honey cedar and swirling dark ash, crown headstock, butterfly bridge, gorgeous fingerboard and headstock inlay, well-done binding) and, second, because as soon as I picked it up, it started to play me. So easy and so sweet a sound. That opinion has not changed and, as might be expected of the solid top, I'd say she's improving with age.

Would I buy this guitar again? Absolutely!

What would I do if it was stolen? I'd track the b**t**d down and beat the s**t out of him with my redoubtable 2-ton Univox LP copy! And I'd get my guitar back.

Pike, I hope this helps: I don't have the knowledge or experience to give you the finer details in the terms you true guitophiles understand. Feel free to ask me more questions. I'm happy to tell you what I can.

When you said you'd like to get your hands on one, my first thought was, I should sell him mine at a good, friendly forum member's price as a 'thank you' for good info and vibes. Then my true selfish self prevailed. Playing her again tonight, I realized that cannot happen and, in truth, this was a gift from the Lovely Wife and will pass from my hands only to those of my children. So, sorry, but I did at least think the thought. Hope Nick can help you find one: I think it's a worthwhile quest. It's interesting that a new one popped up in South America and it sounds, from Nick, like there might be some up here. Can't imagine why they would have been gathering dust: they're too good for that.
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »
Pike,

Some afterthoughts (I do go on):

1) The WG2S was my first Washie. When I decided to shop for an acoustic-electric, where did I go? Washburn. That says something.

2) I seem to be the only one who has a case for this guitar. In fact, I've had two - identical. The first one had a latch problem. The boys at Hugga Guitar in Saint John had no problem getting me a replacement. Maybe they had it in a back room. Anyway, they do exist - worth chasing down.

3) She likes blues in E.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:29:51 PM by cedwards »
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Pike

• View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 09:46:45 PM »
Wow, now that's a review. Thanks Chris, sounds like a winner!

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 09:31:59 AM »
in truth, this was a gift from the Lovely Wife and will pass from my hands only to those of my children.

That's one you had better hold onto(both the wife and guitar).

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 12:47:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Pike

Wow, now that's a review. Thanks Chris, sounds like a winner!

Pike,

I had not had this one out of the case for a while due to Winter humidification needs. I played her for a long time last night after I reviewed and reminded myself why I like her so much. This guitar has a real voice: she absolutely sings and, I believe, is one of those special ones you find from time to time. Every time I have her out and play for a while, I end up going to the Lovely Wife and saying, My God, I like this guitar . . . just listen to this! I'm not just being nice because it came from her.

I said this guitar likes blues in E but, on reflection, where she really shines is an open, ringing GM, D CM7 song like, for example, Pretenders 2,000 Miles. Harmonics everywhere.

I'd forgotten.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:48:40 PM by cedwards »
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
WG2S Parlour
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 01:01:23 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cedwards

She likes blues in E.