Username: Password:

Author Topic: Comparative Consumer Reports?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline LaieLad

• View Profile
Comparative Consumer Reports?
« on: February 25, 2010, 06:18:01 PM »
I am new at searching for this kind of thing, but is there a website that offers comparative ranking or evaluation or review of the electric guitars in what I call the mid-range: not the super-expensive stuff like Gibson, Fender, and sometimes PRS and Rickenbacker--and yet not the cheapies like First Act or Squiers and so on--but the broad range of products in the middle that are often very well-made but are within an ordinary player's budget.  I am talking about companies that make excellent instruments for affordable prices, such as Washburn, Ibanez, Peavey, and Dean, and the like.  Or even Epiphone (whioh I know is owned by Gibson.)  

I own (or have owned) Washburn, Ibanez, and Gibson, but I know that most manufacturers are often making guitars overseas, and that the locations and models change rapidly in this shifting global economy.  I know that starter pack guitars are often made by a different lutherie under one brand name.  I also know that the country where a guitar is made may not mean that they are less well-made.  (Anything made in Korea, for example, is probably going to be well-crafted.)  I see a lot of discussion about the relative quality of Mexican-made Strats and American-made.  I do not know how much of it is valid.  Gretsch I know is a quality brand, but I do not about them lately.  So I want to find out about the other brands (some old adn some new to me): for example, how good are Raven West, Luna, Cielo, Aria, Godin, Michael Kelly, Crafters, Hagstrom, Aston, Ovation electrics, Jackson, BC Rich, ESP.  Some are pretty and sound crummy; some are homely but have good guts and necks.  What are the upcoming new brands?

Is there such a place where I can get some good research done?  I am in a buying mood.
Laie Lad

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 06:31:13 PM »
Aside from the obvious plethora of community forum resources, you can Google guitar magazines. That should keep you busy with comparative ranking, evaluation, reviews, and shopping of electric guitars for decades.
The best method for finding the right guitar: get up, get out and play as many as you can find... then buy the one that suits you regardless of the name on the headstock.

Offline norfolkngood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »

For used guitars Harmony Central is my starting point