Username: Password:

Author Topic: Quiet...  (Read 6126 times)

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
Quiet...
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 02:32:19 PM »
Ah Young Grasshopper (that's you Junior), it's not the size of a man, but his determination that makes him strong.

My kid knows I won't let up, ever. I'm still the old buck. Eventually he'll be the old buck and I'll become dog food. Until that point, I'm the buck. Even more importantly, after many, many conversations, etc, he knows that no matter what, deep down, I love him alot and will not let him get wrecked. How do I know? One time, and one time only he said something while we were fishing together. He was 13 at the time. We were talking about something or other and he suddenly stopped, looked me right square in the eye, and said thanks for giving a s**t.

Not an expressive kid so that carried much weight. Parenting is not exactly easy either. The manual kinda sucks. We just all do the best we can...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:33:11 PM by Zeroroaster »
No matter how much your guitar cost, if you suck, you suck.

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
Quiet...
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 03:14:56 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by luvmyshiner

At any rate, while I would much rather talk to my daughter, it is nice to see a little text from her in the morning that says I love you poppy.  And ultimately, in my humble opinion, the fact that you communicate with your children is more important than the method used.  Especially as they get older and their lives take them farther away from us.

. . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . .  Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas  1902

Yup. A well-timed, well thought-out text to my young'un while I was on a recent business trip lifted her right out of a pressure rut at home and gave our relationship a strong boost.

Parenting is, indeed, very, VERY tough and I, for one, believe strongly that I'm at least as responsible for learning my young charges' language and ways as they are for learning mine. In my experience, you can't necessarily keep a 16-year-old close enough to protect from the real dangers simply by always imposing your will on her. At that age, kids know they can just split and, sometimes, if pushed, they will. Ergo, street kids. I don't ever want to cause that outcome. So I have to learn how to speak their many languages, some of which, by design, I'm not even supposed to know.

Finally, about texting, that is an absolutely invaluable tool for taking teenagers to a concert or a festival like Bamboozle or Warped Tour. With the music cranked straight time, cellphone conversation is out of the question but, again, they will answer texts: they have their phones in theirs hands anyway because they're taking band video. That gives me the chance to be in the area and available if necessary, without being in their face, embarrassing their fragile teen egos and detracting from an experience in which I am, at the same time, both a necessary enabler and an unwelcome interloper (Parenting 101).

It was actually an odd experience last year to be at Bamboozle in NJ and listening to band after band yell stuff like, ALL RIGHT! Let's rock out and you can do whatever the f**k you want because your f**kin' parents aren't around! Of course, I, like many other parents, was around and if I hadn't been, why then, of course, my kid would not have been either. Oh well, oh well, oh well. I'm a man: I can take it.

BTW, looks like a Bamboozle road trip repeat coming up again this year. OK, I'm not a real man, just a softie: that kid can get me to do anything. Sound familiar?.
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
Quiet...
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 04:09:58 PM »
Fortunately, (for me,) my kids are all grown (middle pushing 40) so grandkids are their domain/problem which leaves me to be the good & non-threatening grandpa.
Meh... what they don't know won't hurt them!

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
Quiet...
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 05:11:21 PM »
Isn't that what we strive for?

Offline Toaster20

• Eat More Toast
    • View Profile
Quiet...
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 05:29:16 PM »
I get the texting thing.  There's times like Cedwards described where it does make sense when tracking down your kids.  
But could someone explain what Twitter's all about?

Offline Childbride

• View Profile
Quiet...
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 08:57:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Toaster20

I've been watching it this year and I agree... it's a pretty sad lot this year.
There's one girl who I think might be pretty good (the one with the dreads who plays guitar)

i like her too... the one with the autographed acoustic, right?

the dude i think might actually have some talent is the git player who broke his arm like in a cajillion places but never gave up on guitar.  reminds me of muddy.  played some strat knock off this week... touch of srv in his voice.  

the rest pretty much stink on ice.  imho. there aren't the personalities; the david archuleta, elliot yamin, danny gokey... yadda.

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
Quiet...
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 03:16:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by luvmyshiner

. . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . .

. . . and that one remains my favourite.
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy