Username: Password:

Author Topic: smell  (Read 21058 times)

Offline vtpat

• View Profile
smell
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:10:33 PM »
Does this Rover stink. I mean does it smell bad? What have you done to kill the smell. Should  I wash it in tomato juice when it comes?

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:30:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by vtpat

Does this Rover stink.

This?
Do you have a Rover? If so, I can't smell it.
quote:
I mean does it smell bad?

Guitars can't smell, noses smell... but guitars may stink.
What is bad? Stink is subjective.
quote:
What have you done to kill the smell.

I have not done anything. Is there something you'd like ME to do?
quote:
Should I wash it in tomato juice when it comes?

I wouldn't... but, it's yours. You can do whatever you want with your possessions.

Offline Baritone Horn Guy

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »
No smell on my new Rover.  I stink, but it don't.

Offline radenshirinji

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 05:11:43 AM »
Why does a Rover stink? Is it due to rotten woods used?

Offline kylebellamy

• View Profile
    • http://www.kylebellamy.com
smell
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »
From what I've read, it's the leather in the guitar strap. Sometimes I hear it's been fixed and other times not.

Mine just arrived yesterday and reeks of a creosote kind of smell so I did some searching and have since removed the strap. The most helpful info I found is that you should take the case and guitar and let them sit out in the open air outside, around 80 degrees and sunny, for a few hours each day. This is the perfect conditions to get the residual chemicals to dissipate without doing damage to the guitar.

The strap issue is pretty much unresolvable so you can either go buy a new one yourself or see if you can get a replacement form the retailer you got it from.

I will repost results as I get them from my own experiment.

Offline cspan

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 04:49:52 PM »
FWIW Washburn (US Music Corp) sent me a new strap and, as my case was sorely affected too, says they'll send a new case when supply comes in. I would put it out in the 85F sun for days on end, and test that oft-recommended remedy, but it's winter here.

They told me to try Ozium odor eliminator, and while Ozium is powerful, it only masks smell, and only for so long. Long story short, I paid a lot for a little can of air freshener and made no net gain. I can't put the guitar in the case without it imparting the smell to the guitar. I can't wait for a new case so I can actually travel with my travel guitar.

Offline cspan

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Just a follow up - I have to credit US Music Corp for top-shelf responsiveness in customer service. I inquired about a replacement Rover case (mine seems to be permanently affected by the stinky straps), and they sent one when they got new supply in, without charge, without hesitation. That's the kind of great customer service that spreads by word of mouth (or internet). Unfortunately, inside the case was included ... stinky straps! I removed them immediately and hope that the case will air out ... time will tell. I would much rather have 1 neutral-smelling case than 2 stinky ones. I wonder if I tore out the shaggy fabric and re-covered what I suspect must be styrofoam - I wonder if that would work.

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 11:48:50 AM »
maybe try putting a bowl of baking soda inside the case to see if that will absorb the odor.

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline cspan

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:23:02 PM »
Thanks, but I have already tried that and many other ideas.

The new one smells so bad I put it outside under our covered front porch with the old one. The old one still has a smell, but unless the cold temps masked it, I would say it is not as quite as strong as it used to be. You can still smell it in the accessory compartment where the straps were placed for shipping. In the guitar form area, the smell is not very apparent.

But the original case has been airing out for 8 weeks now (maybe I should have kept it to 44 days and then called MF!), and I still don't think it's usable yet. I suspect if you put the guitar in there, the smell from the accessory area will wander over, at least some. So I've got a neat small travel guitar that can be used for just about anything ... except travel.

It is pretty remarkable how long this has been known about and yet it's still an issue.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:25:38 PM by cspan »

Offline greygoose625

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 10:07:57 PM »
A different cause, but I've always a problem with oders from my equipment.....back in the days when everybody smoked my guitars turned yellow and smelled like smoke.  Now I've be playing in an Italian resturant and my equipment smells Italian.  It's so strong my car and airplane both keep the smell long after my equipment is removed.

I use air fresheners and spray a small perfume in my guitar case.......I play my guitar full-time.....I take very good care of my Washburn Hauser & Jose Rameriz and over the years they will show the use......janeguitar.com

Offline Fdh1965

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 11:22:32 PM »
I just got a rover and narrowed down the smell to the glue used on the leather ends of the guitar strap.  I wash them and put out side for a few days.  Hope the smell will go away. At least it is not the guitar or case.

Offline cspan

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 07:12:06 PM »
If your straps did not permanently impart the smell to your case, count yourself lucky.

I had the case airing for several weeks, seemed to make progress, then closed it with baking soda boxes inside. Reopened after a few weeks and BAM - the smell came back with a vengeance - almost peeled the paint off my car. All that is left for me to try is leaving it out in the sun on a hot summer day. The case is all but unusable. What a shame.

Offline Jay_Gibson

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »
I've had this great travel guitar for just over a week and simply love the feel & sound. The bad news is that I'm going to have to return it due to the hazardous odor emanating from the guitar & case. The smell is petroleum based and extremely toxic.

After the first day I read up about the guitar strap being the cause so I disposed of it (purchased new strap which I will include in return). I have also aired out the case the last 4 days and the guitar has not been in case since opening yet still emits the strong odor. Honestly the couple of headaches or smell staying on my hands is not worth it.

This is not my first Washburn guitar and honestly surprised this odor issue hasn't been resolved. The odor complaints have been mentioned on several web sites that sell the Rover, I should have done more research before purchasing.

Offline rblee

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 07:42:27 PM »
The smell comes from the adhesive used to stick the ends of strap together, but it permeates other stuff in the case, although thankfully not the guitar itself. The OE strap is a piece of rubbish, worth even less than the joke picks supplied, so no big loss.

I junked the strap, and sorted out the residual smell with a product called Fabreeze in the UK, which claims to be able to get the stink out of a teenage boy's bedroom carpet. Well, I dunno about that, but it sorted out the Rover pong for me.

Another thing to watch out for is the 2-3 dozen concealed staples holding the hinge of the case together. These pull out of the expanded foam (No s**t, I hear you say) and end up all over the place, with the case looking pretty scungy as a result. I put some screws and washery things that matched the standard ones found on the rest of the case in instead. If you do it right it looks like it was meant to be like that. Stainless steel screws and washers were the best match and fortunately I already had some screws, as the washers were impressively expensive.

Other than that, I like it. Problem is, my younger son *loves* it...
What crime is robbing a bank compared to that of founding one?

-- Bertolt Brecht

Offline cspan

• View Profile
smell
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 09:12:32 PM »
I've tried baking soda, Febreze (U.S. name), Ozium, and airing out. Nothing gets rid of the smell in the case (the guitar is OK after a few days' airing out). It must be in the construction of the case, not just something in the straps (which are long gone). Perhaps the same glue in the straps was used to seal the plush to the styrofoam. It has been 6 months. If it's not going away now, it's not going away, seems to me.

It's a shame, the guitar is GREAT. As my local luthier says, it kicks the sh!t out of the Martin Backpacker. It's just that, well, the guitar is meant for travel, and the one thing you need for travel is an appropriate case. I just can't use this case (or the replacement they kindly sent - it stunk too). I am inquiring about what they can do warranty-wise. I suppose I could build my own case, but that would be very time consuming, and frankly I don't think I could build one anywhere near as light and attractive as the Rover case. I wish I could gut the case, but I think the glue is stuck to the styrofoam too, so it's not coming off without tearing off and losing its shape.