Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hey, Washburn, we have an idea!  (Read 94489 times)

Offline aggtex

• View Profile
Re: Hey, Washburn, we have an idea!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 08:54:08 PM »
Meant to say glad Washburn stopped making them cuz Dean , even tho I like Dean too, they have flooded the market with the new Dime models!

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »
Around here,I see mostly O.S.  and very few Washburns. And these are at real Washburn dealers. Last time I was at the two KY, stores, there was not a single new Washburn. And maybe 1.5 dz. new O.S.   I would like to see a new 500.00  to  700.00  range guitar in person.  Last year I bought a new 850.00  Guild.  I would like to see and touch and play a real nice Washburn. My D10S's are all kick a##  but there only middle of the road.  Just my .02.    Tom.   :) :)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 01:52:43 PM »
Sold that 2 inch neck Guild for 600.00 plus a hundred shipping. took a loss but learned, if it don't feel perfect when you buy it, it probably wont grow on  you.  LOL.  Tom.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 04:47:23 PM »
I would like to see and touch and play a real nice Washburn. My D10S's are all kick a##  but there only middle of the road.  Just my .02.    Tom.   :) :)

Tom, keep your eye out for some of the USA Handmade Acoustics...WD78SW, WD82SW, WD84SW, there might have been WD76SW and WD80SW models, too.  These were made at the Washburn "factory" up until a few years ago.

As far as I know, all of them were spruce top guitars, but the secondary tonewoods may have varied.  For example, I think the sides and back on the WD84SW was Hawaiian Koa. 

I have had only one of them in my hands, a WD82SW built by John Stover, but it was the sweetest playing Washburn I've ever played (although my D61SW is a VERY close second).  One of our forum members (Strumsalot) who occasionally joined us Texas Washies at Pearl brought his....the action was so sweet that it rivaled any electric I've ever played.

They are expensive, but not as much as the Bourgeois models. The MRSP on the WD84SW I tried to get them to build for me was $2400, IIRC.  I'm glad it didn't work out in a way, the fretboard on the WD82SW I played was a bit narrow for me, I'm sure the WD84SW would have had the same neck.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:49:23 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »
Would love to see a Hawaiian Koa, even if I could not afford it.  My D10S"s are the highest level of Washburn I have seen,  Of course I have weeded out my guitars now, till there the best middle of the road guitars I can find.  Tom.   :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:35:32 PM by t.y. »

Offline danielsan73

• Just one more....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »
 Washburn seriously need to get more dealers on board in the UK! In most of the shops you cant get washburn guitars, and when you can it's usually acoustic not electric. Having said that the ea20snb we were promised for Q2 2013 is seriously due and no info is forthcoming. Only one shop in the UK  I could find is selling the hb36 and that took some searching. Not sure how you sell products without having vendors or even supplies when promised.
2011 N4 Korina 2.0, 1992 Alder N2, EA20SNB, Idol WIDLXSPLTD, 2007 N61,  Ibanez RG230, Ibanez Artcore AWD72ATF, Ovation Celebrity, Cort Bass, Vantage Acoustic Bass.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »
"Not sure how you sell products without having vendors or even supplies when promised"    I have wondered that myself,  But I keep wishing  and looking.:)    Tom.  :)

Offline wrmurphy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »
Tom, that lends credence to the old saying, "You can't do business with an empty truck",

Murph

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »
Not sure how you sell products without having vendors or even supplies when promised.

Pretty common topic around here. Every time I am in a music store where Washburn's logo is on the window I look for them.  About half the time I find a few, but never many.  I always engage the owner in a discussion regarding the reason why they don't stock many.

I've gotten a variety of answers, but perhaps the most illuminating came from the owner of the music store here in Huntsville, TX, where I am living at the moment.  I went in for strings and as he was busy with a customer I picked up a guitar to pick while he was busy.  When he was done he came over and tried to sell me the guitar.  It was an OK guitar, nothing fantastic, so I told him of my appreciation for Washburn and suggested he try to become a dealer.  He told me he was already a Washburn dealer.  I was surprised b/c I saw not a one in the store, so a lengthy discussion ensued.  The bottom line was that he doesn't dedicate the capital to carrying the stock because it is not a name that customers come into the store and request.  We discussed my claim, my common claim when having this discussion, that if he would carry some stock they would sell themselves in comparisons against other similarly priced guitars.  His response?  Maybe so....but why bother, when he can sell a Fender or a Gibson or a Takamine to a customer who already has the brand in mind and comes in asking for it by name.  Hard to argue with that kind of a business decision....he's a man who knows what his customers want and has it in stock for them when they come in the door.

There could be all kinds of "which came first, the chicken (store stock) or the egg (brand name recognition/requests)" discussions, folks, but the bottom line to me seems to be that we for whom Washburn is a first choice must get the word out.  How many times have we heard that a Washburn plays easier or sounds better than a Martin (just one example, but in my experience the most common) once a customer who purchased one had the chance to join the forum?  It's a common occurrence.

BTW...I said the guy is a good businessman...he assured me he could get me new, first quality Washburns for less than I could find them anywhere else....just have to ask him to order them.  That is hard when there's nothing on the wall to test drive, but it seems to be the way my collection grows.  I bought a WMJ11S from  an online dealer just because I wanted something other than my dreadnought...liked it so much I bought two more WMJ21S models (my favorite tonewood combination) as well as a WGO26SCE (again, my favorite tonewood combination).  How many first time buyers would take that chance, though?

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 12:42:35 AM »
Dug, completely agree with everything you said above.  The lack of knowledge not only hurts sales in the new market, but tends to also suppress demand and pricing on the secondhand market. 

Huge case in point:  Just yesterday, I did my usual weekly visit to one of our local pawn establishments.  A week or so ago, they had gotten in a nice EA16 in natural finish.  Its something I'm seriously considering going for here in the near future.  They are having a sale this weekend and one of the employees was just finishing up putting new price stickers on their current stock of guitars.  $50 price drop on the EA16 looked pretty good, but decided to just look around and see what else they had.  What I saw came as a huge shock.  The shop has had an RB-2500 5 string electric bass in there for a few months.  Not necessarily anything I particularly had in mind, but kept my eye on it for a while.  It had been priced at $300 every time I had seen it before.  They had it out on the main rack this time, so I looked at the sticker just to see what they had marked it down to.  I was sure I had seen it incorrectly the first time, so I pulled it down to make sure I saw it right.  I had:  $59.99.  Yes, this gorgeous, barely played 1999 Washburn 5 string bass had its price reduced by 80% in one fell swoop.  I couldn't pass it up, but couldn't buy it outright at the time, so I have it on layaway right now.

I checked it out on-line when i got home.  Not a lot of info, but a lot of very glowing reviews.  Finally found the initial list price to be $999.99.  Most used ones I've been able to find info for go for around $200-300.  And I've found this to be the case with almost every Washburn of any type, acoustic or electric, I find.  I've seen D10S's going for $70-100 lately around my area, which is just absolutely nuts for the quality of these guitars.  It really hammers home the idea of how brand recognition plays into the secondary market as well.
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 02:52:58 AM »
Wow 60.00   I agree,  a steal at that price.  The pawn shop in the town above me,  wants 250.00 for a dirty looking Peavey Millennium  5 string bass.  M.F. has them new with warranty free delivery for 300.00.   Tom.  :)

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »
Okay, I do get where the Huntsville music-shop owner is coming from. He is of course correct... but that's also the lazy way of selling.

If I saw some guy who was coming in every few days to ogle the midrange Martins or Taylors or whatever, I already know how I'd handle it. "Yeah, beautiful guitars. Treat 'em well & they just sound better by the day. Great resale value if you ever want to part with it." I'd hint that $2,000+ is a bit steep to learn on... but over here I've got these guitars that are about as good, for a fraction of the price. "If you want to move up in a year or two, I'll give you a good trade-in price."

Sure, it's cool that "my merch sells itself," but that calls to question why there'd even be a sales staff, except to dangle discounts & swipe the credit cards.

There are a couple of high-end stores in Minneapolis, & I love going into 'em -- once or twice a year. Down the street from both are non-boutique shops that I'd visit once or twice a week, because their stock (new & used) turned so often. Lots of stuff to try out, & the occasional bargain that I just couldn't pass up.

And those visits also mean that I was wandering past the new & higher-end merchandise, stopping to try out one or two, making a mental note as to how I could justify trading up to a better bass or whatever. I'd probably buy my strings & picks & straps & cords there, even if the prices aren't spectacular, because... well, that's where I shop.

Eventually, I want to open a store, not a museum. Imagining myself there, I'm not as worried about a new customer reaching for a WD160 as, say, a D-28. The latter has a higher cost without being a significantly better guitar, yet it "loses value" if you so much as look at it crosseyed.

And I know how many times I've gone into a shop to buy a guitar, thought better of it, & walked out with something different that caught my eye. This wouldn't have happened with a narrow, homogenous brand selection -- when a guy's not in the mood for a Gretsch, then he's probably not gonna buy a Gretsch; furthermore, if I'm not particularly into Gretsch (or that price range), why would I even stop into a Gretsch-centric store?

In that way, Washburn is ahead of many companies: they cover a lot of range. Like, there's nothing wrong with a dreadnought from Fender or Ibanez, & I've played some nice ones, but the Washburn name (& the tradition, with a few hiccups) has been attached to acoustic instruments for far longer than either of those companies has existed -- even predating their founders!! -- & Washies range from good to great to jaw-dropping, at any price. Autoharp players are a strange & secretive bunch ;D yet every one knows that a student MUST have at least an Oscar Schmidt -- it's been the solid benchmark for a century. As for electrics, 1980s axes like the Wing & Force & Bantam series are now considered classics. The "Dime" line had a rabid following all through its span; there's no reason the Nuno axes aren't better known, & the RX should be flogged to every budding shredder. For basses, I personally think the Taurus "thumb" design is ugly (& I'm not a fan of the rock-bottom stuff like the XB-100) but I have yet to play a disappointing Washburn bass.

There are still some marketing missteps. ("Yeah, 'some' he says!!") I'm a Johnny Winter fan from about 1973, & Jorma Kaukonen almost as long, & have thus always wanted a Firebird for the collection, because there's just nothing that sounds like those small metal-can minibuckers. You can't turn around without tripping over a half-decent Strat clone, LP copies are hardly rare -- even Washburn has sacrificed the Idol line to that -- but just try to find a good fake Firebird. But some excellent takes are kinda buried in the Paul Stanley line, when IMO they should be marketed for what they are, not to aging KISS fans. In a shop, these would sell themselves -- slap a Bigsby on a PS10, put it in the window, & it'll draw lustful stares.

First, though, market to retailers. Work with distributors like SLM to push prominent floor & window displays, not just banners. Set up pool ads. Create actual campaigns, national & regional & metro. Give good (not super-deep) discounts for steady purchases -- deep one-off discounts just lead to at-cost clearance sales, not steady customers.

Well, at least it'd be different from the failed "common wisdom" we've seen to date.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »
LP copies are hardly rare -- even Washburn has sacrificed the Idol line to that
Not to harsh on Washburn alone. As has been lately called to my attention, Dean has their Thoroughbred line, a seemingly endless series somehow ALL-NEW yet "Classic-Inspired," a "bold new breed of single cut guitars"... that is pretty much nothing but a herd of Les Paul ripoffs, with all the cost yet none of the resale value of a Gibson.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline ChristosFp

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 10:58:47 AM »
hi there,
i´m new in the forum but a serious washburn fan specially of the WI series ( the original no the mark II version).

across the years i´ve tried as many brands and guitars as you could imagine but the Idol Series got my attention because of the features.

I always like the LP concept, but hate the fisical limitations, that was the reason i´d tried the SG standard; lovelly guitar, nice neck features, fret access and balls, but there where something missed.

The I found the Idol a nick catannese and beside the EMG pickups wich I dont like, the guitar was brilliiant, all the LP and SG features, but whith a self perspective and personnality, at a logic and adecuate price; the best of both worlds.

NOw I found the parallaxe series, awesome guitars.

Washburn is doing things rigth, but theres a huge gap in the video review area for the rest of the models acoustinc and electric, the ecuation its easy, if you can see it and here it you will buy it.

Also theres a big problem in the distribution area; I consider amazon is a big oportunnity to give the customer their products because you can´t find them in a dealers stores.

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
    • REO Shitwagon, Uncooperatives, Voodoo Sun
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 10:24:17 AM »
Am I the only one who absolutely doesn't care about the dimes?

It's really simple what they need to do, get back in the big retail chains. Here in Canada they had a presence but went away around what... late 90s?

Now everyone only carries Gibson and Fender unless you hit the used shops and pawns.

Further, and I could be alone on this but:
If they could do anything right now I would say get into the AMP game with some high quality tube amps, the SS revolution is over and everyone want's to go back to tubes. If they came out with an affordable tube amp that was paired with the proper power tubes for the stock emg's they love so much they might be able to brand the guitars to the amps and get a presence in all spectrums of the guitar world for the "wash" sound.

I also admit, the Metal artists in the portfolio could be expanded to other genres. I *used* to play metal, and I'm so tired of explaining to people why my Washy sounds so as good when I play blues or doom metal or stoner rock etc just because it looks like something Dave Mustaine would endorse circa 1983
Dean Dime Razorback (V255)
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn KC-70, KC90, KC-Prototype (mystery git)
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums