Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hey, Washburn, we have an idea!  (Read 91005 times)

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
    • REO Shitwagon, Uncooperatives, Voodoo Sun
Re: Hey, Washburn, we have an idea!
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2015, 01:53:16 PM »
on point man, I have a hard time supporting Charvel since Fender purchased them... I haven't even played my Charvel's since actually and even sold one.
Dean Dime Razorback (V255)
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn KC-70, KC90, KC-Prototype (mystery git)
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2015, 01:07:42 PM »
I've got no gripe about a big company buying up a successful smaller company to give it better stability & marketing reach. What bugs me is when the big company comes in to stifle a competitor. Look at what FMIC's clout has done for Hamer, Guild, Jackson, Charvel, Sunn, Tacoma, LP, Ovation, Genz Benz, Gibraltar, Takamine...

On the sales end, they dangle the "Official Fender Dealer" carrot, then demand you buy specific models, often at less discount than you get for other brands while offering deep cuts to the Big Box stores that already beat up on the mom-&-pops. And you can't even advertise your USED Fender selection because that might compete with some other store's NEW selection.

Ain't it cool how the "free-market" actually operates?

Washburn certainly has a low hurdle to clear!! All they really have to do is get their corporate butt off the bench & into the race -- preferably BEFORE the field is packed.

Sorry to repeat myself, but I am adamant in my analysis. 8)

The full Classic Idol line can beat up on Epi LPs & even many of the Gibbo versions, while the X Family carves out chunks of Squier -- ramp up Lyon & go toe-to-toe with Affinity models.

There's thousands of shellshocked Hamer fans wandering around who'd LOVE another reissue of the Stage & Wing series.

Oh, yeh: STOP putting out generic $100 "Randall" crapbox amps, & STOP diluting your (paid) endorsers' market value. THE KH15 IS NOT FOOLING ANYONE. At least the NB15 makes an effort to LOOK unique. If your intent is to cash in on the "beginner" & "fanboy" niches, then follow Fender & Marshall: put out a line of cool-looking TOY "mini" amps that also happen to be decent-sounding practice amps/preamps/overdrives. But that is ALL -- after that, minimum buy-in should be

(FWIW, there's an RT-50H sitting about twenty feet away from me this very moment, & I'll eventually get an older "redline" combo.)

Do a better job of putting "Washburn" & "Randall" into the same thought. Good HEAVENS, but there's already Nuno & Ola, & there was Dimebag before!! Make a few more Washburn Custom Shop models, then order two tiers of import version for the fans, kinda like the WI14 was to the WI64 (or even the WI64 to the WI66).

PLAY TO YOUR STRENGTHS -- though Washburn(& randall) make GREAT all-round gear, the FACT is that they've already got cachet in METAL. Here's just a few (hundred!!) places you could scour to build brand reach --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_festivals

M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
    • REO Shitwagon, Uncooperatives, Voodoo Sun
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2015, 08:26:38 AM »
What turns me off from almost every single Washburn (new) is that I always know I'm going to have to swap the pups. Just put in the extra $75-100 in the cost and offer models with active and passive selections with different but well known pup configs. (SD-AH15, EMGs etc). The crap stock pups alwaaaaaaays ruin it when I see a kid pickup a Washburn in a store. They don't understand the value is in the rest of the build most of the time, but hey, if it sounds crap it sounds crap, stop it!

:)

Dean Dime Razorback (V255)
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn KC-70, KC90, KC-Prototype (mystery git)
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums

Offline JohnWilmerding

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2015, 07:37:45 AM »
Alerting WB folks to a misspelling in the on-line catalog:

Washburn Heritage 40 Series | EA40SCE

OVERVIEWSPECSVIDEOSIMAGES

The Washburn Heritage 40 Series of acoustic guitars feature solid Alaskan sitka spruce tops, flame maple back and sides and gold hardware. Maple has a brighter sound than mahogany or rosewood so these guitars tend to sound clearer and more articulate. This works out especially well for the larger bodied jumbo versions that might loose focus ...

"loose" should be spelled "lose" ... it's a common error of misspelling.

Offline firstrebel

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2015, 04:08:56 AM »

Why does Anderton's guitars in UK (great youtube page for reviews, many probably know) not stock Washburns and review and rave over them?  The Cap'n and Chappers were raving the other day about an affordable ($600) PRS thats aimed at shredders.  Cool--I'm sure that's a great guitar.  But it seems like Washburn is putting out some cool stuff too--where is the marketing?  where are the dealers?

A lot of Andertons Washburn's are in their warehouse not the store. There are a lot of UK dealers who advertise Washburn's  but they have to be ordered from the Distributor.

I think the other thing WB need to sort out is what guitars come with cases, irrespective of country. Or make all the range of cases available like Epi does. The 'depending on market' is confusing. I bought a Lakeside Jumbo in the UK and it came with a case (K on the end of the model number). So one assumes that the UK is a market that gets cases. When I ordered the Solo Deluxe, shown on the UK distributors site as having a case and ends in K, I find the box had the K on the label but no case.

Seems all this model were shipped to the UK with no cases. I emailed USMC in the USA and got a very short reply that cases are market dependent, they are not sold separately, but can place a special order through the dealer. How confusing is that?

I got back to them and they sent me the email address of the European distributor. So far no reply. It seems odd to me that the Solo Deluxe is a more 'prestigious' model than the Lakeside but did not have a case. Not too sure how I stand here in the UK with Trading Standards on this.

Bob
2009 Epiphone Roy Orbison Signature 12-String FT-112 Bard
2012 Washburn WJ130EK
2013 Washburn LSJ743STSK #150/500
2015 Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Fender Acoustasonic 90 amp

Offline kenedy

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »
I support your idea.
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.