Username: Password:

Author Topic: WI45 Purchase?  (Read 7211 times)

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« on: March 14, 2010, 09:29:12 PM »
Hi.  my first message here.  

An online retailer is running a clearance on a WI45.  I already have a WI64 that I really like and this has me interested in a WI45.  Comparing the WI64, with the WI45, I know the WI45 has bindings, and different PUP's.  Money is not a problem, and I feel I am getting such a good deal on the WI45, that if I did  not like it, I could probably sell it on eBay and break even.  I also sold another guitar today to make space for it.  Can anyone help me in my decision?   Any other things to consider?

Thanks in advance,

- W

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:49:28 PM »
man the -45's go for a good price anyway. What do you mean by clearance priced?

The -45 is a -66 with Randall p'ups, from all reports. That means it's Mahogany body with a maple cap and bound. Your -64 is a contoured piece of mahogany....kind of like comparing a SG and an LP. I would love to hear how you compare the two. I think you'd find the -45 a different feel. I played a -64 in a store over the weekend (11 years old, on consignment...too high a price) and found that the balance was FAR different than my -67. Neck heavy. Not BAD, just a different feel.

I say go for it. The -45's are being hailed by all owners as a STEAL. And they're not paying clearance prices.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:01:18 PM »
Tio,

The clearance price is around $300 on the WI45.  But from looking on Amazon, that is about their price as well.

I have never held a WI45.  I find the WI64 is well balanced, not too heavy, and has a comfortable shape.  The PUP's are not the best on the WI64 - but are better than duncan designed PUP's I have played.

Still thinking about the acquisition.

Thanks,

- w

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 06:38:01 AM »
You'll find some pretty good reviews on this forum from guys who have purchased these guitars recently, including talking about the pickups. It's all good feedback.

You might wanna contact Funky Munky Music. He's a Washburn distributor and a member of this forum and gives price consideration to forum members. More importantly, his support is excellent. Better than you'll get with Amazon. I don't see a -45 listed on his site at the moment, but shoot him an email and see what he may have.

Good luck.
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:37:34 AM »
+1 on Kimo's recommendation. for some review info, check here:

http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15754&SearchTerms=wi45

I'm still liking mine better all the time. Spent some serious time with her yesterday and, once again, confirmed my already high opinion.
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 10:34:44 AM »
Thanks guys.  I did send an email off to Funky Munky this morning.  I'll see what he can do before I spend my money.

My WI64 grew on me too.  I had acquired a Hagstrom Ultra Swede around the same time - which is a fantastic guitar - but I am playing the WI64 more often, as it is a bit lighter, and the body shape is more comfortable for me.

- w

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »
Just an update.  I am trying to make up my mind on the finish I want.  I am down to white or red flame.  Of the two best prices I found there is about $90 difference in price between the white, and the red flame finish - the red flame being more expensive.  There are days when I think the clean white w/ black hardware seems to work really well - then other days I really like the red.  Just trying to decide.

- w

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:48:40 PM »
Flamed trans-red. Not a bit of doubt about it. I can't stop looking at mine. It's the right finish for this guitar - sets off the binding and inlays perfectly.

If you need a hard shell case, try to get that done as part of the original deal. Generally, they come with gig bag. I'm guessing Funky Munky can find a hardshell for it. They can be hard to get - might be worth throwing some dollars on the original purchase..
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 09:13:29 PM »
^^^

I don't know if the WI45 is different dimensions from the WI64 - but my WI64 fits in an SG case.  It is a bit short in the case - but it fits in there.

I'm just hesitating a bit because my sweet spot for guitar purchases is between $200 - $300.  If I get the WI45 red flamed, it will be one of the more expensive guitars I have (I sold a Gibson LP Studio a few months ago.).  The red flamed is at the top of my list today.

- w
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:14:34 PM by Woody_in_MN »

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »
Not to downplay the importance of saving money...but over a short period of time, that 90 will seem pretty insignificant when you're talking about a guitar that you're gonna spend alot of time with. MUSIC, dude. The whole point is joy. Wait a bit if you must to get the right one. Did I not see that you have a swede? Interested to hear how you compare the 45 to that.

Good luck, Dude
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 07:11:49 AM »
Hey Woody.
Have you seen this thread?
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline mfergel

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 07:54:07 AM »
My WI45 fits in the Rondo music cases they sell for the Agile AL Les Paul copies.  Fits in it perfectly.

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 07:56:52 AM »
^^^
Tio,

Thanks.  There are some good pics in that thread.

And yes - I do have a Hagstrom Ultra Swede.  A fantastic guitar.  Good or better quality on any guitar I've ever played period.  And that includes Gibsons.

I see that Washburn will be changing the body style to more of a single-cut/Les Paul style.  A Shame in my opinion.  It makes me want the current style even more.

If I swap out the PUP's in the WI45 - is it much harder than on a non VCC guitar?  I have swapped out pickups on other guitars.  Not a job I like - but on a good day, with a little patience I can do it.  

- w
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:59:21 AM by Woody_in_MN »

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 08:02:24 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mfergel

My WI45 fits in the Rondo music cases they sell for the Agile AL Les Paul copies.  Fits in it perfectly.

That's really good information.[8D] Thanks!
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline mfergel

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 09:39:39 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Woody_in_MN

^^^

If I swap out the PUP's in the WI45 - is it much harder than on a non VCC guitar?  I have swapped out pickups on other guitars.  Not a job I like - but on a good day, with a little patience I can do it.  

- w

Shouldn't be any different because you still have the same number of wires on the pickups themselves.