Username: Password:

Author Topic: WI45 Purchase?  (Read 7208 times)

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 10:07:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mfergel

My WI45 fits in the Rondo music cases they sell for the Agile AL Les Paul copies.  Fits in it perfectly.

Is that the ECG 300 case?
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 11:55:05 AM »
OK - Update.  I'm tempted to make this a separate thread - but from haggling with a online vendor - I can get a WI66 Pro w/ the SD PUP's for $500 shipped.  So there is only $120 difference between the red flame WI45, and a honey burst WI45.

So - what would you do?

I think it really comes down to how much better the SD PUP's are over the Randalls.

Money is not really that tight for me.  I could afford either option.  But to my experience a person looses some money when they buy a new guitar, and try to sell as used.  There are some exceptions to this - but to my experience you have to really make a heck of a deal to flip a guitar and make money.

So - are the SD's $120 better than the Randalls?

- w

Offline mfergel

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 12:52:23 PM »
Well, look at it this way.  New pups are more than that.  Used pups can typically be found for $50 each.  If you decided to go with the standard two volumes two tones you have to buy new pots (well, at least two but you might as well get some good pots).  Now you have to wire and install all of that.  Depending on how comfortable you feel with that then yeah, $120 more is a good deal..........as long as you plan on keeping the guitar.  For myself, I have no qualms changing out pickups and do it all the time for the heck of it. I have about a dozen spare pickups sitting around right now.  Essentially, as you already mention, you will not be able to flip the guitar and make money and will probably lose money if you get the WI66.  WI45 you might break even if you sell so you'd better be sure you want to keep it.

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 02:32:37 PM »
^^^
Swapping out PUP's is not something I really enjoy doing - but I can do it.  I have done it before.

As far as prices - I just did a Craigslist search for WI66 Pro.  It looks like they are listing used between $600 to $750.  So buying a WI66Pro for around $500 - I might be able to turn a few bucks - but there is no guarantees.  Ditto - I might be able to turn a few bucks on a flammed WI45. (But I don't think I could make a profit on a white or black one.)  But again there are not guarantees.  And it would depend on how patient I would be in selling.  But I'm not buying with the intent to sell - I'm buying to enjoy it.  But I would like to minimize my risks going into this.

I guess I'll look at some pics of WI66 in honeyburst - try to make up my mind.

- w

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 07:00:18 PM »
UPDATE:  I ordered the WI45 Red Flammed.  There was only one in stock at this vendor - so if the count is wrong I may not get it at all.  I'll know in the next couple business days.

After looking at specs a little closer, it looks like the WI66 Pro in Honey burst comes with gold hardware.  I just don't care for gold hardware.  So this was the deciding factor for me.  I looked at this long and hard.  There is nothing else in this price range by any manufacturer that appeals to me right now.  I figure if I don't care for the PUP's I can swap them out later.  I have done this before on other guitars.  Plus, if I don't like it, I feel I can at least break even selling it on eBay.

I'll try to post pics when I get it.  I'm taking some risk here - 'cause I never played a WI45.  But my WI64 sold me on trying another Idol.

- w

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:08:39 PM by Woody_in_MN »

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 01:08:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Woody_in_MN
I'm taking some risk here - 'cause I never played a WI45.  But my WI64 sold me on trying another Idol.

I had the same heebie-jeebies. Not only had I not had a chance to touch the WI45 but, also, unlike the WI66, there was virtually NO information out there on this model. Generally, when I can't find any info on a product on the web, that raises a red flag for me.

Nonetheless, I accepted the risk and jumped. Like you, I went for the lower cost WI45 partly to minimize the risk.

You've seen my postings. I am in no way disappointed with the WI45. I love her more every day, especially for her playability. Maybe if I was a gigging pro, I might have a different view of the pickups but I'm not: they sound just great to me.

Would I lose money re-selling? Probably. Do I care?: Nope - not at the price I paid and, anyway, I have no intention of selling her.

Looking forward to your reaction on NGD. Have fun anticipating![:)]
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 01:12:29 PM »
BTW, Woody, the chrome hardware on the Flamed Trans-Red looks great. It's a nice match.
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »
cedwards,

Yes - I have read many of your posts.  It is clear you are very happy with the WI45.  I think my ears are getter more trained as I go along, but like you I think I am not really a cork sniffer when it comes to PUP's.  It is not always in the name, or brand of the pickups. I probably have bought and sold a dozen guitars over the last couple years - but I have one of those First Act guitars they used to give away with VW cars, and I think it has great PUP's.  8 or 9 out of 10 - really.

Anyway - looking forward to the shipment notice.

- w

Offline bmrbob

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
Hey everyone. I too am sold on the Idol series. I got a Wi14 last year as my first electric and love it. Ive played a few other guitar since (lp, strat, prs) but none of them get me as much as the idol feel. Ive been searching a while to upgrade to a wi45 or wi66. i finally found one to my taste. Its a Honeyburst Wi45 new from a private seller on ebay for $350. I havnt recieved it yet, but cant wait to. What do you guys think about the deal? I see the plain white and black for more than this price. Ill post pics when I get it.

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 05:27:02 PM »
^^^

You are right.  The black and white ones tend to go cheaper.  I had planned to order a red flammed online, but this afternoon I was watching a black WI45 on eBay, and it was sitting around $160 !  I kept watching and and decided it would be a bargain at around $180.  I bid and won the black one for $170 Shipped!!!

I think you got a very good price on the Honey Burst.  The best prices I have seen on honey, or flammed red hqve been $400 plus range.

- w

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
WI45 Purchase?
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »
I just got the black WI45.  It feels about 1/2 lb heavier than my WI64 - seems just under 1/2 inch thicker.  Over the next couple days, I'll play it against the WI64 and do a comparison.

- w