Username: Password:

Author Topic: best string's for a beginner?  (Read 10254 times)

Offline SweetSerenade

• View Profile
best string's for a beginner?
« on: March 15, 2010, 01:00:40 AM »
I have a D10M acoustic. I have heard nylon strings are good to start with. Any suggestion?

~Jinna~
~Jinna~

Wasburn D10M/CBL
68' Framus Romanze 5/103

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 04:12:04 AM »
A decent brand of lights (12-53 guage) would be good to start out with. Many of us prefer phosphor bronze. As important as the strings is a good setup, ensuring that the action is as good as it can be, definitly worth the money spent. Nylon strings won't work on a steel string guitar.

Offline marllr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:58:47 AM »
I started learning a few months ago with light phospher bronze.  The second guitar I purchased (search for GAS references) came with mediums which seemed ok for me (after couple of months of playing), but will probably stick with lights for a while as my wife and kids are flirting with playing.

Listen to Pike... I just had the guitars set up by a profesional and wish I had done that in the beginning... it is a whole different instrument... less effort, less buzz, better feel, more enjoyment!

Welcome / Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:01:14 AM by marllr »

Offline SweetSerenade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »
I went today and had my guitar cleaned and re-strung with some Martin SP Phospher Bronze light strings. It sounds so much better! It does seem like one or two of the strings are a little buzzy though?

~Jinna~

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:25:45 PM by SweetSerenade »
~Jinna~

Wasburn D10M/CBL
68' Framus Romanze 5/103

Offline marllr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 07:32:32 AM »
New strings go a long way!  A setup is more than cleaning... my understanding is it includes adjustments to neck/truss rod, frets, bridge, and other parts to optimize playability (string height) and intonation.

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 07:50:14 AM »
do they buzz when the string is open, or when you are playing a chord?  Like if you are playing G, do the low E and A strings buzz? It may be you're not getting the string properly fretted, or could be the setup.  As marllr says there are several adjustments that can be made.
Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 02:06:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jinna, and welcome to the world of guitars.  The advise above about getting a proper setup is very good.  If you don't mind I'd like to add a comment on that.

First, just because a person here or there says they can setup your guitar, doesn't mean that they will do a great job of it.  Now don't let that scare you off, it's not really rocket surgery or brain science, so you should be able to find someone qualified without much trouble.  Ask around, seek out opinions from other players who have no stake in your business.

I would also suggest you read up on setting up a guitar and then you'll know what to ask and what to look for in results. Here is a very good primer on guitar setup. Knowledge is power, and in a short time, you may even finding yourself wanting to do most/some of the setup work yourself,,, there is a lot of satisfaction in that. Pike also has some good informative links you'd find worthwhile.

http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

Anyway, welcome aboard and visit over on the Acoustic Players Post Comments and Other Absurd Stuff page.

Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

I have some of this, and some of that.

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 11:24:21 PM »
quote:
it's not really rocket surgery or brain science

[:D]

Offline marllr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 12:49:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing the setup primer.  Is fret work (adjusting/replacing) not a typical part of a set up or do you suppose they intentionally left out?  Also, I expect play and care are factors... how often will a guitar typically need a setup?

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 02:35:51 PM »
Other than dressing the frets, I wouldn't think it would be included in a basic setup. It's probably easier to do than setting up the action.

Leveling the frets is more technical than adjusting the relief and action.

Replacing the frets would be cost prohibitive on a cheaper instrument, I would think. (Unless there was something more than it's intrinsic value being considered.)But I'm not sure, it's never come up on one of my instruments.

I have some of this, and some of that.

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline radenshirinji

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »
I have tried electric guitar strings on my acoustic guitar. They felt easier to use and does not hurt my fingers so much.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 01:46:15 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by radenshirinji

I have tried electric guitar strings on my acoustic guitar. They felt easier to use and does not hurt my fingers so much.

Huh?... What?... Ugh!
Dude, you are out-of-sync and should think twice before doling out nuggets like that lest people looking for solid info begin to take stuff like that seriously!

I can't conceive the circumstances that would drive the odd choice to put electric strings on an acoustic, but the tone will suffer. Electric strings on an acoustic will give you a very small, twangy, ultra-hi terrible treble sound.

Electric strings aren't made to sound good acoustically (without amplification), they are made to interact well with magnetic pickups. As such, they feature zinc (among other metals) that affect how they interact with pickups.
Electric strings sound good via amplification.

Acoustic strings are specifically designed to sound good via pure vibration through a solid non-ferrous bridge and wooden top plate... they aren't designed to work with magnetic pickups. They're usually treated with phosphor and/or bell-bronze to give it an acoustically pleasing sound. This is why most acoustic strings are a golden-yellow color.
In short... acoustic strings sound best on acoustic guitars.

Secondary to all that, acoustic guitars are designed to a specific range of rebound tension resistance built-in to the neck with a small range of adjustment through the torsion truss rod. Use of lighter tensioned electric strings may require adjustment out of that range a put undue, (and possibly permanent,) stress on neck or truss rod.

To address the original question about putting nylon strings on a steel-stringed guitar: Do what you wish with your guitars... but for all of those same reasons, I'd recommend springing the $5 for a pack of proper strings.

Offline tico59

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 01:52:39 PM »
Found this thread and as a beginner I have the same question as Jinna (SweetSerenade). I have been learning with a classical guitar (nylon strings, of course) for a year more or less and last saturday I bought a brand new D10S. My issue is that I feel it really hard to play. Honestly I am not sure if it is that I have to get used to the metal strings or that these are indeed hard to play. The guitar comes with Vinci strings Phosphor Bronze Light 12-53. I read yesterday about string types, construction, gauges, etc. to learn a bit more about. Now I am thinking to try another brand (D'Addario EJ16 or EXP16, both 12-53) but after reading all the good advices given here, now I have several questions (but I am going to make only three...):

1. Should I have the guitar taken to a pro in order to set it up although it is new? or,
2. Should I try to get used to metal strings first? (before making any changes to the guitar)
3. If I decide to re-string it, changing the gauge to a 11-52 will make it easier to play? (This question is because someone told me that gauges 12-53 are very hard to play) I understand also that if I change the gauge it is mandatory to set up the guitar again.

Thanks for your time.

Pura vida!

PD Last one... What about Elixirs 11-52?

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 02:37:04 PM »
quote:
1. Should I have the guitar taken to a pro in order to set it up although it is new? or,
2. Should I try to get used to metal strings first? (before making any changes to the guitar)
3. If I decide to re-string it, changing the gauge to a 11-52 will make it easier to play? (This question is because someone told me that gauges 12-53 are very hard to play) I understand also that if I change the gauge it is mandatory to set up the guitar again.

1) Get it set up
2) Get use to the metal strings. You calluses will need to thicken up.
3) Stick with 12's.
4) Play the crap outa her man!

Washburn N2, Washburn F10S
I've got some other stuff too.. Everything from guitars to a Balalaika.

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »
J-16
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa