Username: Password:

Author Topic: best string's for a beginner?  (Read 10255 times)

Offline tico59

• View Profile
best string's for a beginner?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 08:26:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Junior88

1) Get it set up
2) Get use to the metal strings. You calluses will need to thicken up.
3) Stick with 12's.
4) Play the crap outa her man!

Thanks for the advice. I will get it setup and stick with the 12's and be sure I will start playing her as you said! When it needs a string change I will try the D'Addarios EJ's or EXP's 16, but that will be sometime in the future.

Offline dracona

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 09:02:34 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by tico59

Thanks for the advice. I will get it setup and stick with the 12's and be sure I will start playing her as you said! When it needs a string change I will try the D'Addarios EJ's or EXP's 16, but that will be sometime in the future.

My 2 cents worth

I have a D10SCE, i put a set of Elixir Polyweb strings on it, they cost ($15) a little more then other strings, but in my opinion they are well worth it. these strings are supposed to last 3-5 times longer, still testing that one out.
I am very impressed with the sound these strings have.It was almost like playing a new guitar.

Dracona

The box said to install windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 09:20:36 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by dracona

I have a D10SCE, i put a set of Elixir Polyweb strings on it, they cost ($15) a little more then other strings...

A little? That's at least 3x... almost 4x the cost.
That's like saying a Audi R8 V10 Spyder is a little more than a Ford Taurus.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:21:26 AM by Rocket »

Offline dracona

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 10:03:46 AM »
they are about double the cost of regular strings at the local music store here.  $8 for a set of fender,D'Addarios or $15 for a set of elixirs. if they last 3-5x longer then it would be worth it. to me it would anyway.

The box said to install windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Offline Pining

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 07:05:53 AM »
Elixirs are good. I've just been thinking my D10 is sounding more dull by the day to the other guitar. It's Elixirs versus D'A's. I will be putting them on the D10.

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 10:18:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket

quote:
Originally posted by dracona

I have a D10SCE, i put a set of Elixir Polyweb strings on it, they cost ($15) a little more then other strings...

A little? That's at least 3x... almost 4x the cost.
That's like saying a Audi R8 V10 Spyder is a little more than a Ford Taurus.

Damnit! A pack of regular D'Add's are like $10 on average up north here..

No wonder I don't change strings all that often!

Washburn N2, Washburn F10S
I've got some other stuff too.. Everything from guitars to a Balalaika.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 12:41:40 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Junior88
Damnit! A pack of regular D'Add's are like $10 on average up north here..

No wonder I don't change strings all that often!

There can be value in long lasting strings, as I have found with the Dean Markley Alchemy Gold-Bronze acoustic strings.  I have found that they last incredibly long (I guess my fingers don't produce much sweat or acid).  Sure, they are expensive (around $13 a set in a B&M), but my WD32S is going on 3 years now with a set of .012-.054's and it still sounds bright.  These Dean Markleys' hold a tune like you wouldn't believe--despite some fairly significant shifts in temperature where the WD32S is stored, I seldom have to retune when I pick it up (I use a chromatic tuner to check the tuning) and as I have said their tone is still spot on.  Had I used D'Add's I'd suspect I would have had to change them out every 6 months and had to endure that stretching in period every time....I'll spend the extra $$ for the Markleys and enjoy good tone and no need to retune every time I pick it up.

As for the OP's original question, I'd suggest light gauge strings for quite a while.....until the beginner develops adequate callouses on his fingers and adequate fretting strength.  I remember that took about 6 months when I started with a steel string guitar.  After that, I liked the tone I got with medium gauge strings better (although that can be and IS different from guitar to guitar....my WD32SW really sounds best with .011-.052's, but it's fairly extensively mod'ed).

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW. D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:42:06 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline marllr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 11:54:13 PM »
Once you find strings you like you may be able to purchase them in a multi-pack (3, 10, 12) at a significant savings.  For instance D'Addario Phospher Bronze Light EJ16-10P goes for ~$45.  While my kids and I are learning I think we're best served keeping strings fresh.  Aside from dirty kid fingers, when they're done I usually need to tune anyway.

Saving on strings means we're that much closer to everyone having their own guitar ;-)  For instance this latest addition – B52SW, for my girl.  She wanted something her size.  It is a second… but for a starter at $113 it fits the bill.

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 04:29:23 PM »
A B52SW?! Your daughter is extremely lucky!

Washburn N2, Washburn F10S
I've got some other stuff too.. Everything from guitars to a Balalaika.

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 07:28:49 PM »
+1 on Junior's comment - I also have a B52SW, what a sweet sounding 'little bomber' she is, and you got an awesome deal on her too!
Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention