Username: Password:

Author Topic: So.....what's happened to Washburn ????  (Read 16048 times)

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
So.....what's happened to Washburn ????
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 07:15:49 PM »
Ruffle his little feathers...........

[:D][:D][:D]
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 10:03:27 PM »
It really is dissapointing that they can't keep up a USA made line of acoustics.  Since the 'rebirth' of Washburn in the '70's, the D80 series were the only true 'Made by Wasburn' acoustics, right?  
For what they were - USA made all solid top-of-the-line acoustics for under $2,000, it should have been a no-brainer to stay sold-out.  I was kinda thinking that the D80 series was the 'holy grail' of modern era Washburns and looking forward to maybe getting one in the future, then they close up shop.  Well, maybe the future holds another 'made in... North America' line? I hope so.

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 10:16:41 PM »
quote:
It really is dissapointing that they can't keep up a USA made line of acoustics
We can only hope Greg. I'd still like to see a high end solid wood line built like the early 70's models.

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 11:26:43 PM »

Hmmm. JAM industries...No, I won't continue my rant. I will merely say that we've completely circumnavigated them entirely as a supplier. Funny how they aren't quite as omniscient as they figured they ought to be. We're still in business, doing better, and without a single Washburn or JAM product in the shop.

Could it be that maybe, just maybe there's a whole lot of people in this music pool? Could it also be that it's become brutally competitive and that there's many manufacturers making killer product at great prices? I would certainly think so. Thanks to a strong loonie and slicker than ever customs brokering, the arrogant Canadian distributors can (insert expletive derogatory term of choice here).

We've had absolutely no trouble finding good gear at the proper price points and frankly, the buying public doesn't really give a damn about brand. Really? Yeah, it surprises the h*** out of me too! Mind you, every guitar in here is set up perfectly, tuned once a day, and polished after every time it gets taken down from the wall. We also take time to converse with everyone that walks in here, find out what they're looking for, and then make it happen. The only brand anyone gives a damn about around here are the ones we say are worth it...interesting, hunh?

So, about JAM, etc, I wish them all the success in the world, but I ain't helping one bit.[:D]
No matter how much your guitar cost, if you suck, you suck.

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 11:28:05 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Squint

It will take a few years for us to see how these new Canadian models hold up, but one would think that compared to Chinese guitars flooding the market, there wouldn't be anything to compare.

These new Canadian models are Chinese. It's just the new owners that are Canadian, not the guitars.

Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

I have some of this, and some of that.
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline Squint

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 05:20:03 PM »
Oh goody! Someone actually understands sarcasm!
The Canadians invented that, you know.

But the Chinese are catching up!

Besides, we discussed that already.

'93 Washburn J-9 Washington
'97 Washburn J-9 Washington  
'02 Washburn J28SCEDL Cumberland
'90 Washburn EA20YBR Festival
'83 Washburn D66SW Prairie Song Custom
'04 Washburn D104SCE  
'04 & '05 D'Aquisto CENTURAS (violin burst)
'77 Electra X-410 Jazz Strad
'77 Electra Maple Pro (autographed by Bill Nelson)
'04 Aria PE SPL DLX SD
'82 Aria ProII Thor Sound 600
'05 Agile 2500-12
'06 Agile TC-630
Fender P-bass

ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE!

www.soundclick.com/thecoastalcowboys
www.myspace.com/thecoastalcowboys
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:21:39 PM by Squint »
'93 Washburn J-9 Washington
'97 Washburn J-9 Washington  
'02 Washburn J28SCEDL Cumberland
'90 Washburn EA20YBR Festival
'83 Washburn D66SW Prairie Song Custom
'04 Washburn D104SCE  
'04 D'Aquisto CENTURA
'05 D'Aquisto CENTURA
(both violin burst)
'77 Electra X-410 Jazz Strad
'77 Electra Maple Pro (autographed by Bill Nelson)
'04 Aria PE SPL DLX SD
'82 Aria ProII Thor Sound 600
'05 Agile 2500-12
'06 Agile TC-630
Fender P-bass

ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE!

www.soundclick.com/thecoastalcowboys
www.myspace.com/thecoastalcowboys

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34:46 PM »
It would be nice if we got some american ( or NORTH American) guitars made here or in Canada. I know there are lots of guitar workers up there, since Gibson absorbed Garrison guitars, then closed the factory????? It would be nice to see some top of the line all wood american made,  acoustic Washburns again.....like Pike has......lol

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
Hey OWF,

Seagull, Norman, Godin (and the rest of that bunch)...all made in Quebec. Awesome guitars. I've got a Norman 12 string, and my father in law just bought a fancy Seagull with the whizzy pre-amp/tuner/tv remote built in. Very nice.

As for the nice people at Garrison, that was a boo-boo of classic proportions. As if a pig like Gibson would've kept that there.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 12:02:01 PM »
quote:
As for the nice people at Garrison, that was a boo-boo of classic proportions. As if a pig like Gibson would've kept that there.

Yep took only months to close it down, now we have some pretty good Luther's up here out of work and a guitar company that was working to do it right  and were working to fix the humidity trouble squashed..The way Gibson and fender roll

On the upside I can get work done well and cheap.

what about Morgan and larvae Guitars..Are they still being made in Canada

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 12:31:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Zeroroaster

Hey OWF,

Seagull, Norman, Godin (and the rest of that bunch)...all made in Quebec. Awesome guitars. I've got a Norman 12 string, and my father in law just bought a fancy Seagull with the whizzy pre-amp/tuner/tv remote built in. Very nice.

I also have an Art & Lutherie acoustic. It's an awesome guitar. One of my faves!

Oh, and Magoo, I'm pretty sure that Larivee's are still made up here..

Washburn N2, Washburn F10S
I've got some other stuff too.. Everything from guitars to a Balalaika.

Offline Zeroroaster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 10:35:20 PM »

Yeah Magoo...both Larivee and Morgan are being made in Canada. Morgan Monroe on the other hand, is being made offshore. I must say though, Morgan Monroe's 'Blues 32' has sure got my attention. What a sweet little guitar.

Ok, back to the topic...yeah Junior, those Art & Lutherie units are pretty nice. I've set up a bunch of them. Good bang for the buck. In fact, all of the axes coming out of LaPatrie, QC are decent. I'm still not sure why we're not a Godin dealer...wait, I know!! Because EVERYBODY ELSE IS!!! Man, pretty soon you'll be able to buy Godin products at your local 7/11...[:D]

Definitely not a guitar to buy if you want to be unique...

Offline Pining

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 02:14:31 AM »
I'm not sure that there is any difference in the product, when the base of the company is in the USA or Canada (although the Seagull Guitars don't appear to bad at all!)if the product is coming from China.
Looking at the solid tops, they appear to be pushing Canadian wood. Maybe manufacture might be going to Canada.
It would be good to hear something from the company though...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 03:27:38 AM by Pining »

Offline georgeo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 03:18:47 PM »
the only guitar I own that wasnt made in the US is a paul reed smith korean made custom se play nice,sounds good,cost under 500 bucks

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 03:00:58 PM »
Just checking my old post, any new info arise about the state of affairs at Washburn? I REALLY like to buy American (or Canadian) when possible....just my preference, but I can't find any info about new runs of American made Washburns? Pike are you selling any????....lol

Offline strings

• View Profile
    • http://jeremysmithmusic.com
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 09:25:33 PM »
hey as far as I am concerned any Washburn acoustic with a Butterfly Bridge is now considered a collectors item  I do not like the new Bat style bridge , so is this a marketing ploy to reinstate the values of a good acoustic Washburn , yes I am always looking for that used Washburn Acoustic , so whats are your  opinions on that  ;;;;;;;;;; strings yes here in The New Homeland of WASHBURN ;;;;;;;;;did someone say CANADA EH!