Username: Password:

Author Topic: So.....what's happened to Washburn ????  (Read 17526 times)

Offline radenshirinji

• View Profile
So.....what's happened to Washburn ????
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 09:38:22 PM »
Why was Washburn sold to a Canadian company?

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 11:18:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by radenshirinji

They were the only ones to bring beer to the negotiation table.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 11:36:51 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by radenshirinji

The fact that they are Canadian, as said earlier, is pretty irrelevant. Jam is already well established importing guitars and other musical equipment from the very same plants in Asia that US Music uses, and selling all those products to a shared customer base they know and understand well. Additionally, they likely gained inroads to some American customers that they previously were not reaching. On paper, it would seem a pretty good choice. With Fender and Gibson setting precedent of buying then burying name brands that may compete for marketshare, I for one would think its a good thing that an established distributor, without a marquis name to protect, would step up and offer the Austrian owner of company of MANY name brands, one of which is a historically American, the necessary buyout package.

Time will tell if it's good for the Washburn brand name or not. I can't speculate on that. Bear in mind, these new owners made a business decision, with the only intent to make money. That's business. If the Washburn products are deemed by them to be ill equipped, they'll take the resources and leverage them differently. They'll sink more into Parker, or Randall, or simply use the staffing, custom shop and distrubution network to get their other brands out there (Hagstrom being one)

It'll be interesting to watch.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:42:24 PM by Tio Kimo »
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 02:41:16 PM »
Are there any monitors from the company that visit this forum? Do they know if Washburn is making Canadian or American solid wood guitars or custom guitars?

Offline vheissu

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Well seeing as the custom shop has been closed down, I find it fairly unlikely that they're making custom guitars [:p] As for any US mades, I'm not 100%, but I THINK I saw something saying that was ceasing as well. Although boy do I hope I'm wrong about that!

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 12:47:30 PM »
What a shame.......even if they don't make a lot of money off the deal, it would be great to have american made Washburns again.......sigh

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 01:06:06 PM »
I know one thing, they are flooding my local washy store with lots of product..NO GUITARS YET! I was told they are comming.
But we got so mic stands fr the jam lable[jamstands] last mth and they are alright. pretty good for cheap stands..I got them for $20 each and they are as good or better than my profile stands...I'm gonna get a couple more before the price gos up..why not they work and hold my mic..thats all i care about...LMAO

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 01:08:03 PM »
quote:
great to have American made Washburns again.......sigh

Would be great to have American made anything these days.

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 01:24:17 PM »
THE CUSTOM SHOP ISNT CLOSED!!!!!!!!

It's just making very limited quantities of guitars at the moment, and hasn't made any acoustics in a couple of years. There are no plans to change any of that.

I'm not a mod or an employee, but I have had the pleasure of visiting and chatting with the head of global manufacturing and the head of custom shop production, at the plant in May. Also, WB-Nick has addressed this on the forum in recent months. They're making guitars every day, as we speak. They've selected a couple of Washburn models, Parker models, and other contract work to keep the shop running while ownership and marketing determine where they are taking things.

Guys, guitar manufacturers, even the big boys, are seriously hurting right now. I know of a parts supplier to Gibson Nashville who took an LP as partial payment on a factory invoice 'cuz cash is so tight for them! Jam just took over a company that was already pondering its future, and has made moves that I may not like or agree with, but I get that they're hurtin', and they're doing what they gotta do.

'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »
Have you visited since the Jam acquisition?

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2010, 01:36:06 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Tio Kimo

I'm not a mod or an employee, but I have had the pleasure of visiting and chatting with the head of global manufacturing and the head of custom shop production, at the plant in May.

yep, 10 weeks ago.
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »
Well....since Gibson put Garrison out of business, I know there are a lot of unemployed luthiers in Canada, that could make a start.....just a thought

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 08:05:27 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by onewilyfool

Well....since Gibson put Garrison out of business, I know there are a lot of unemployed luthiers in Canada, that could make a start.....just a thought

The rant from a member on the Ep****ne forum:

I have been playing and singing the praises of Ep****ne guitars for over 20 years, I have owned over 30 Ep****ne guitars and now have 6 Ep****ne guitars all of which were made in Japan or Korea, all old, and I can't find a new Epiphone worth buying. Thats sad ain't it? I WANT A NEW EP****NE, BUT CANNOT FIND AN ACCEPTABLE GUITAR THAT EVEN COMES CLOSE TO MY OLD EP****NES. You should be moving forward with the company, making better guitars. But right now we are wittnessing the decline of Gibson/ Ep****ne. PLeasae do not be so sure of yourselfs you stop caring about fine guitars and you customers.

The answer from Gibson:

...it’s not just about sales. We continuously monitor and review quality related data. Currently, we have a less than 0.5% return rate. Additionally, I speak with customers and visit retailers often and in general, they are very happy with our quality. I also believe that the guitars coming out of our factories in China are exceptional instruments. I, like many Ep****ne employees, have been playing guitar most of my life. As a company we understand guitars and we are passionate about their performance.

It seems this is not just a Washburn issue.....sounds like it is a global issue.  I can attest that my Yamaki made D61SW(CE) is one finely made guitar, but it was made with much different procedures from the mass-producing Oriental factories we're talking about here.

I'm quite sad to see that Washburn doesn't seem to have any SW guitars in their new lineup....information from a reliable source indicates when the J-series all solid wood guitars are sold, they won't be making more.....we talk about the dumbing down of our educational system and society in general, looks like this is going to be the dumbing down of the industry.  How long ago would it have been impossible for Gibson to accept the output from an Oriental mass-product factory as acceptable?  Probably no longer ago than when Washburn could proudly point to producing a number of solid-wood guitars in their line.

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Pining

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
I disagree that the industry as a whole is dumbing down. Certain manufacturers are looking for their slot in the market with an eye to maximising profits. You can still get a real good guitar if you want one, it just mightn't be the brand you used to believe in.

As for Wasburn at the moment, I can get a hand on plenty of their old stock at the moment, lots of places are selling it, none on the cheap. I have seen one new guitar, WD10S and it was more expensive than it's older equivalent.

As for the Washburn site, apart from listing the WD series, the company has paid it almost zero interest. I am down to looking at it once a month, for no news as yet. I must admit that I only come her to look at the forum now to see if there is anything interesting posted.

Offline Toaster20

• Eat More Toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 07:34:48 AM »
These are crazy times.  Once we get out of this *** **** recession, anything is possible.
Supply and Demand will once again determine what's available for sale.

My personal thoughts - Americans want American-made products at Asian-made prices.
We can't have it both ways whether we're talking about guitars or autos or clothing.