Username: Password:

Author Topic: REVIEW: WI45 & WI64  (Read 12239 times)

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
REVIEW: WI45 & WI64
« on: March 27, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »
BACKGROUND:

I have had a Washburn WI64 for about a month, and I was lucky enough to find a WI45 recently, so I thought I would do a comparison of the two.

BODY:

Although they are both idols, the WI45 and WI64 do have different bodies.  They have different contours on the front of the body.  Also the WI45 is thicker by about ½ inch.  The WI45 is heavier weighing about 7.7 lbs. – the WI64 is about 7 lbs.

FEATURES:

The WI45 has full body, and neck binding.  The WI64 is not bound.  The WI45 has inlays on the fretboard – the WI64 has dots.  They both have set necks.  The tuners are Grover on both, and they both have VCC.  For pickups, the WI45 has Randall open humbuckers, the WI64 has WB630 high output pickups.  They both have the Buzz Feiten Tuning System.  The scale length is the same on both – being 24.75 inches.  They both come with the (really nice) GB4 Gigbag.

COMPARISON PLAYING:

OK, this is probably where my review has the most value.  I played the two back to back on my Vox VT30. I should mention that I bought the WI45 used, and even though it looked like the setup was 95% perfect, I did spend some time on a small truss adjustment, and bridge adjustment.  I’m glad I did, as it is a much better player after my setup work.  I think both guitars do very well on clean, low gain, and vintage settings.  When the voices are on high gain is where I begin to see differences between the two guitars.  It is hard to put tone qualities into words, but to my ears the Randall PUP’s on the WI45 sound a little richer than the WB630’s.  They also sound hotter – and this is both good, and bad.  The bad comes into play when playing at a very high gain; it seems more of the amplifier “noise” comes through on the Randalls.  (Some amps do have a control to clean up the noise on high gain – including the Vox VT30.)  The good is that you tend to get stronger sustain, and voicing from a lower gain amp setting.  It might be that the Randalls get a little muddy on high gain.  A work around for this is to use the VCC, switch to neck only PUP’s, or just go to a lower-gain setting on your amp.  I don’t know if it is the PUP’s, or a slight difference in the necks, but I find very high gain a little easier to control on WI64.  I do find that both guitars have great sustain, but the WI45, maybe because of its construction, and added weight, tends to have a bit better sustain.  If I spent a lot of time in metal tones, I would almost have to give the edge to the WI64 – but I don’t – the tone that I go for is just shy of Metal – more of a AC/DC high gain, so really both guitars work really well for my playing.

SO – WHICH IS BETTER ?:

If I had to sell one of the two, I would almost have to say it would be the WI45.  But the reason I say this, the WI45 strikes me closer to a Les Paul or Single Cut type of guitar, and I have others of those in my collection.  The WI64 “feels” like more of a SG type guitar.  I love the red trans finish, and love its lightness.  So a tougher question would be, if I had to sell ALL my guitars, and only keep one of the two which would it be.  This would be hard to answer, and it really depends on how I would use the guitar.  If I played a lot of live gigs, and played some very high gain, and metal, I think I would pick the WI64.  If I played more vintage, and did more recording, I would pick the WI45.

So there you go.  I hope this review will provide some useful information to Washburn enthusiasts out there.  I am an Idol fan.

- Woody

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 09:22:31 PM by Woody_in_MN »

Offline Woody_in_MN

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:08:07 PM »
UPDATE:

Now that I have been playing mainly the WI45, and sometimes back to back with the WI64, I have come to the conclusion that the WI45 is a really nice player.  I also feel that the pickups in the WI45 are really quite good.  They do project a bit more amp noise than the WI64, but they are also richer, and deeper.  Playing it almost exclusively over the last week just solidifies the impressions that I posted earlier about the WI45.

- w

Offline fnichols11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 04:14:48 PM »
Thanks for side by side review. I'm glad I opted for the WI45, so so cheap. What a deal!
http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15835